We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What do you wear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
For a stand-up gig I wear a suit but for everything else.....

I wear a white tux shirt, a blue vest and matching bow tie.

Below the waste it varies... from shorts at a baseball stadium, to jeans, to black dockers, to nice black slax at a more formal gig.

I find that this combo works for almost ANY venue.
I can just change the pants to match the occasion and I look just like a magician everywhere I go.

I've had several compliments from the people hiring me (which I never had before) and I'm quite comfortable as I perform.

And if I do a kids party, I no longer hear...
"Mom... the magician that doesn't look like a magician is here!!!"

What do you wear?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
For virtually all childrens'/family shows, I wear the character costume of black cargo pants/vest, white shirt, black tie with white polka dots, fake Mississippi Burning-style glasses, and my top hat (same as my avatar). Sometimes, I wear spats. I look like a magician, albeit quirky.

For corporate, I typically wear monochromatic black (pants, shirt, jacket, tie, real glasses).

For street, black pants, big baggy,black t-shirt, real glasses and top hat.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Like Michael said it really depends on what kind of event that you are performing at. For kids I wear tux pants, a tux shirt, a black vest and dress shoes.

For Corporate or other strolling I wear a nice suit and tie. Sometimes a 3 piece depending on how impressive I want to look.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

That's it? 2 people? Everyone else performs naked?

btw, I just purchased a tux yesterday for just such an occasion. I went to get a backup shirt/vest but they had rental tuxes from $99-$139. shoes for $7.

So I just got an entire tux. So now I have the extra shirt/vest and a penguin suit if the need arises.

please don't confuse my use of the word penguin with the website that is ripping off other magicians' products and selling them as their own.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
The question, Frank, isn't "What do you wear?" but...what are you wearing now?

:)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Always suit and tie unless the event is black-tie formal in which case I wear a tux.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Well, if you're a "rule" kinda' guy, it's; always dress one step up from your clientele. If they're casual you wear a suit. If they're suited you wear a tux. If they're nude, just your underwear. But it's hard to so many things in your briefs. Wear boxers.
:)
radiantentertainment
View Profile
Regular user
Donald Collins
112 Posts

Profile of radiantentertainment
I mainly perform close up magic. I wear black slacks and a black long sleeve dress shirt with different ties. I roll the sleeves up past my elbows which gains me the illusion of having super magician skills. I still find that most people blame sleeving and palming when they never see a hnint of how the magic happens. I like to take away all explanations.
Life is not a dress rehearsal!
Less is more.
&
Knock'em dead!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Yes, I roll up my sleeves as well for the same reason.
I also never wear a tie if I can help it.
Even with a suit. I wear a black, dark gray,or dark red mock turtleneck and think it looks more magician-like and less business-like.

So you guys do wear clothes afterall.
Glad to hear it.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Check out my avatar. I dress to the nines on stage.
Off stage I dress business casual.

On sleeves - I used to roll up mine, or go short sleeved. Until I discovered the miracles possible when sleeving...
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
For a short answer, it depends on the setting and time of day.

Though I do not have a "character" per se, I often dress as a slacker. I wear a white long sleeve dress shirt (untucked) with sleeves rolled up and blue jeans. I wear black and white wing tips to somewhat differentiate from the norm.

When I perform for an evening event that is indoors, I wear a black suit with my wing tips. The black and whites are always a part of the wardrobe when performing.
-Jim
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Pin striped single buttoned dark grey business suit, light blue or white shirt and tie - both for close up and stage.
No rolled up sleeves, - but I am a mentalist.

Sven
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Frank,

I usually go with the tux shirt/vest combo also. I have a lot of different colors of vests, bowties, and cummberbunds. I sometimes wear a full suit but I don't like to because of comfort.

Regan
Mister Mystery
willrob999
View Profile
Regular user
UK
102 Posts

Profile of willrob999
I wear a tux for any wedding work and for my restaurant work suit with a bow tie but like frank suggests it does depend on the event you are going to perform for. its mentioned on one of Jeff McBrides tape which I think sums it up Jeff says "dress as if you are going to somewhere better afterwards" which I think is quite relevant.
whizzomagic
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Ky
109 Posts

Profile of whizzomagic
So far I've been employing the dressed up/dressed down approach. I'm just going for the t-shirt underneath a sportcoat look. No Tuxedos, hats, or gloves, just a regular guy.
amelie
View Profile
New user
USA
4 Posts

Profile of amelie
Golly, you men have it so easy... Us women, if we dress how society says women should dress (as in Vouge and Elle, or on MTV) we are called sluts, if we dress like men we are "denying our femininity" I just love being a girl...
It's better to have had your wish than to have wished you'd had
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
I wear different suits and jackets, that look exactly like Michael Jacksons Smile Local taylors have helped me to make those suits and other clothes that Michael wears in his world famous videos or live concerts. Also wear hat like he, but usually throw it away in the beginning of the show Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-10-25 02:57, amelie wrote:
Golly, you men have it so easy... Us women, if we dress how society says women should dress (as in Vouge and Elle, or on MTV) we are called sluts, if we dress like men we are "denying our femininity" I just love being a girl...

Welcome, amelie.
Actually, I think women have more freedom than men when it comes to dress. I can choose to wear either a skirt or pants, and no one thinks of questioning my choice. Let one of our male friends step out in a skirt (other than a kilt) and see what happens.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Otter,

You do have a point there.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
White tux shirt (just ruined one), black pants and vest that matches my backdrop.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What do you wear (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL