The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What do you wear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
krist0pher
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of krist0pher
Before I came to MagicCafe, I was active over at MagicAnarchist, and those guys are heavily opposed to the bozo traditionalism of "suit&tie" magicians. And I suppose that has really rubbed off. Not to mention I'm also part of the "Blainiac"wave that came about wanting to break tradition.

Since 98% of the people I perform for are my friends and college students, I dress for the times. And here in VA we're a little on the "alternative" side.

If people here see a guy in a suit, they take him as just that, some guy in a suit who's gonna whipout a silk and no one will take him as a true conjurer(unlessof course that's what you want!).

Something adds to the reaction when they see some plain ol'college guy pull off something a guy in a $500 suit should be doing.

Just my 2 cents..
Kristopher Scofield

Myspace.com/imkrisscofield
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
My clothing, far from being a suit, has nothing to do with tradition or not. It has everything to do with utilization. If you count topits as pockets I have 9 pockets in my duster alone.

Besides, it looks like a cape and that makes me feel good. The difference between me and Chuck Norris? I make the duster look goooood.
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
In stage/illusion shows, I wear the Neo type duster from the Matrix with black boots and shirt.

For a kids show and restaurant magic I wear a suit.

For walkaround (casual) I wear black T-shirt, pants, and boots. For a formal business type meeting I wear the suit or sometimes I trade it in for the classic polo shirt.

:subtrunk:
Beyond Impossible: www.freewebs.com/illoosionzmagic

"I close my eyes in order to see"
~Paul Gauguin
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
For me, it depends on the venue and the client'e requirements. When I worked at Medieval Times (an indoor jousting dinner theater - and yes, they use real horses and steel swords), I dressed as a medieval mage. When I worked a Roaring 20's party for CDW, I wore a black pinstriped double-breasted suit and fedora, when I worked for Sandals Resorts recently, I wore an aloha shirt and baggy shorts.

To me, the venue and theme of the event largely determines what I will wear, but there are some exceptions. When working a formal, black-tie affair, I will rarely wear a traditional tux as, to do so would visually confuse my audience. No tie on a collarless shirt (with a decorative applique on the shirt-button flap (the flap of material that covers the buttons)) inside a Tux is usually enough to set me apart visually, yet still keep the formal look going.

At more relaxed affairs, a suit, but with a dressy T-shirt (usually a dark color) or jacket, slacks and T-shirt, works fine. This is "business casual" and is usually accepted in most venues.

But one important thing I have learned over the years is that the client is the person who should be consulted and their wishes reasonably followed.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
It depends on what act I'm doing.
You can see most of what I work in here http://members.aol.com/payne
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I agree with laughing otter on the previous page. being a girl, I can't really wear a tux or a suit (unless it's a woman's suit, which I have but rarely wear). my wardrobe varies, but I normally try and coordinate my clothing with my bright orange hair. if I'm doing street, though, I wear all black with tennis shoes and a long black trench coat.
**--snap--**
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I go with an Old West gambler's look. Black with gold and burgundy paisley vest. White tux style shirt with a string tie. Black wool trousers with black leather braces (suspenders). Knee length cavalry boots with the trouser legs tucked in and jingly spurs. Can't forget my hat, same model as worn by Kurt Russell in Tombstone. Sometimes I wear a gentleman's frock coat if the occasion calls for it. And on special occasions, I get to wear the cartridge belt and holster with a dummy sixgun.

Sammy the Kid
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Well, I'll be the exception here. I began by wearing black pants, white shirt, tie, vest, etc. while doing mainly birthday parties. I am also a clown and my magic character is that of one who messes up but has lots of fun doing so. One day I said to myself that enough was enough. I am who I am. I had an outfit made with primary colors, mismatched socks, and red converse tennis shoes. It immediately was a hit! I had so much positive feedback that I decided to wear it to a gig for senior citizens. It again was a hit! The feedback that I keep getting is that I am as much a comedian in my show as a magician. The woman who booked me for the senior citizens gig came up to me after the show and told me that she did not know what to think at first but it was exactly what she needed. She then booked me on the spot for another gig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What do you wear (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL