The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Banana Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
My banana's bigger and thicker than most, too. But for kids' shows, I use the carrots prior to doing my "Fraidy Cat Rabbit." The kids know they're fake, but it's still amusing to them. Fake carrots, fake rabbit. What could be better?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
The Dan Garrett video in question is his "Kidshow Konnivery" VHS tape. When I first watched the tape, I thought that Dan was using a banana with multiple shells. But, NOOOOOOO! Dan was using just TWO bananas and a very clever and smooth move. Completely fooled me. And, even now knowing how the effect is done, it still fools me!! The move is that good.

I highly recommend the Garrett tape. The school performance of Dan's shown on the tape was amazing to watch. What really impressed me the most (and more so than the actual effects performed) was the audience management skills of Dan (we are talking 4-5 year olds here, folks) AND the fact that, with the exception of approximately 2 effects, Dan could have performed this entire show out of his pockets!! Think about that. Putting on a very entertaining kids' show without the necessity of all the big magic boxes and tubes and glitter. Don't get me wrong. The effects that Dan did were great effects. It's just that the other things I took away from this video were even more valuable and impressive.

Dan gets more mileage out of a handkerchief, a few 260 balloons, his "Judy the Mouse" and a piece of rope than you can possibly imagine. There ought to be a law against this.

Oh! And getting back to the banana trick, halfway through either the performance or the explanation of the effect, Dan sneaks a couple of carrots into the effect and goes from bananas to carrots and, I think, back to bananas. The moves are so smooth and unexpected that you just have to marvel at the performance. The "banana" move used and taught by Dan is worth the price of the tape.

One of the best kids's show videos out there and well worth your money and time.

Just, IMHO.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I've got two versions, one which uses larger bananas and one that uses smaller, thinner bananas (like on Terry Herbert's DVD). They've each got their pluses and minuses in my opinion. The thicker ones seem to snap open faster, but they're not as artistically made (and painted). In contrast, the smaller bananas look a little more realistic in terms of color and markings but require a little more finesse in the handling. The routine itself (regardless of the prop used) is a lot of fun and I use it in every kid's show I do. I start out by telling the kids it's a magical banana wand, which of course makes them laugh, then I tell them I'm just kidding, that you can't really do magic with a banana. But when I go to put the banana away and up pops another! And another! And another! Maybe you CAN do magic with a banana! It might sound corny, I know, but it's usually very well received among children.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I love the bananas and have been performing them for years. I also perform the move as a running gag, in my children's show, when I put away my carrot(s) and sponge ball(s), as well.

I use the banana move quite often as the finale of my sponge ball routine, in my roving repertoire. It looks great with sponge balls once you get the knack.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Anyone know where to get good sponge carrots?
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 03:38, John Bowlin wrote:
Anyone know where to get good sponge carrots?

I got mine from Dan Garrett.
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I use one banana and 6 carrots in a routine wich looks like teh multiplying golfballs. works great for the kids. the carrot is for my horse and the banana for me.

the production of the third and the forth are baffling for the kids.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I have bananas in stock and ready to go... and I have NEW MOLDS for oranges and lemons...

Don't wait 6-9 months (or longer) for Owen to make them...

http://wackomagic.com/wackomagic/Rubber_Fruit.html
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Your fruit looks great. I assume they are hollow; that being the case do they "pop up" quickly, as is needed for multiplying effects? I have had hollow latex veggies and fruit that were flimsy and tended to collapse, which made them difficult to work with.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
The sponge banana's produced by Alan Wong are worth checking out. (you can see them here) Their size, realistic look, and handling are, for me, all ideal.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them in this thread.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I use Dan's Bananas, Carrots and Pickles. I still remember Dan teaching me the move at a juggling convention years ago. I never thought I would do it as well as he did. I don't know if I do it as well now but I sure get a lot of laughs and puzzled looks with them.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1618 Posts

Profile of Futureal
The posts on this thread are from 2005, before Wong started making them.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Randi rain also sells very nice, realistic looking bananas....
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
*singing* YES....WE HAVE NO BANANAAAAAAAAS...WE HAVE NO.. oh, pardon me, what was the subject again?

I have the ones by alan wong. Theyre great, look real, and I get a TON of laugh-milleage out of them, during the search for a magic word. (abracadabra vs. have-a-banana)
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Futureal...I didn't notice how old the posts were in this thread!

I remember years ago one of my first posts on the Café had a title that went along the lines of..." I'd like a fatter banana".

I was looking for a spare set of sponge bananas that were like the one I had as I preferred them to the thinner ones. That must have been before Alan Wong made them too as no one was able to offer up any suggestions..... well none that pertained to bananas anyway...
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I end up my banana routine by having my volunteer look in the bag to tell me how many bananas are there. Instead she finds my gorilla puppet, whom I proceed to admonish for eating all the bananas.

If you watch David Ginn do the effect on Youtube, he puts it over with his usual cornball humor. A good line of his is, "This trick really has appeal." Then he groans at the corny pun. He ends up with his volunteer finding a giant banana in the bag. If you're entertaining kids regularly, I suggest that you check out all of David's videos on Youtube. He is a great children's magicians who uses a wide variety of effects. I have incorporated three of them into my act after watching him do them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Banana Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL