The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Building the perfect Murder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Dear Friends,
Here is a little project I thought we could all share.
But there are a few rules that need be installed. Nothing drastic here. I was shopping when I ended up in the game section of a local store. I looked at the titles and what do I see? An old favorite. "Clue" I ended up buying it again. As I opened the box at home I got to thinking! The game now has all the "suspects" as miniatures! It also has the weapons as minatures. (both of these also appear on the cards of course.) So there you have it! Its the start of a bizarre effect where either the bizarrist or the audience could figure out the outcome of the murder.
Now I have to tell you, when I got this idea a lot of things came to mind. How about the old prediction effect, where the person throwing the party would be the one to select a person, a weapon, and a room. Lock the cards in chest and keep the key! You or the audience figure out the crime. Now the miniatures can be used for the audience to make selections and the board can be made into zones to pick a room. The weapons also can be layed out on the table.

So there you have it friends, I only ask that you not
give away the secrets of the workings, name the forces if you use them but don't reveal the secrets here. If people post to this message and don't know the workings involved, please PM the person that posted that message for more info. don't feel like you must come up with the entire effect as it can be broken down to parts, and also remember the scene I gave is also not the only possibility!

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Last year I also bought a new version of CLUE and then I found an old one at a thrift store. I was thinking of making a RS force deck for each card (Person, Place , Weapon). If we bought say 10 additional decks fronm the retailer for I think $2 each. (They'll only let you get five at a time, so two of us would have to do it)we could make enough force decks for 10 sets I think??? I like the old classic style card much better but they are unavailable right now. I also made some classic jumbo cards on my computer but the RS hasn't worked so well for these.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I have a Cluedo (as we call it over here) routine that I do involving the cards. It involves the spectator telling me the suspect, weapon, and room and I a prediction is opened and it matches.

It plays very strong and have had superb reactions from it!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Dan Harlan has an effect on one of his video's of mine also.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
"Clue Me In" is well hidden on Volume 3 of my Premium Blend series (Games People Play). I think most performers would pass over the material on this DVD because there's nothing "flashy" about it. However, since you brought up the subject of CLUE, I think you'll find my solution to be of interest. No gimmicks, no prep, use anyone's game in their own home. The principle is old, but perfectly suited to this application. I don't technically stock my DVDs, but I have a couple of these V3PB here that I can let go cheap if you PM with an interest.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Clue is so Classic that any dinner party with the appropriate age group would love to play this game in a Bizarre fashion. "Professor Plum with the Lead Pipe in the Study?"...It just sounds so cool. I think that it would be much more fun tha Docc Hilfords seance' stuff.

How's this...
Use my R/S force decks ( Three of them) to force the cards. Lock those three in the chest which already contains YOUR SEALED PREDICTION. Switch out the decks for a real one with the propper eliminated cards ...and then play the game. When someone really wins, you open the box and see that they've won and also that the prediction made prior to the start of the game is 100% CORRECT!
Then more Rum Runners!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I always loved the gag they did on the premiere episode of Saturday Nite Live. Dan ackroyd was doing Weekend News and pulled this one out of the hat. So funny that I varied it slightly and use it to this very day -

"This just in - there's been a break in the Jimmy Hoffa murder case. It was Colonel Mustard, with the Candlestick, in the Library." He then tossed the page over his shoulder and went blythely on into the next "item."

Gotta love the line - as it would be a perfect lead in to a Clue based effect, in my opinion, of course.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I get to promo the new SNL Slot Machines from time to time. That line should be resurected! I'll work it in. Thanks Lee!
Could this be addapted to stage with people playing the parts of the characters and real weapons? You could go through the crowd and select people that look like the caracter.
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Thanks to the advancements in electronics there is now a talking clue game. Perhaps those handy with a solder gun could gimmick the game to announce a prediction.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I posted an idea of doing a prediction using the In A Flash principle.

The choices are marked on a clue answer sheet.
The sheet is folded up.

The clue cards are shuffled. A rolled paper ball is selected from other paper balls. The ball is put on top of the stack of clue cards and then lit on fire.

The ball burns a hole in the deck. After the flames cease, the weapon is found in the hole. The next two cards are the person and the room.

Or each person freely selects an identity card. Then one person chooses the ball of paper which is set on fire. The person then reveals his or her card, example Professor Plum. The weapon is in the hole. The next card is the room.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Didn't Peter Marucci have something like this with a Voodoo Doll burned in a card? I couldn't find the effect but it seemed like it was pretty cool too. Bravo El Lamo!
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Hi Slim King,

I may or may not have seen Peter's voodoo effect. I have read many of his posts here and elsewhere.

I posted the clue idea as part Combo # 17 in Secret Sessions. I posted it on the 19th. The Combo # 17 was a reference to ordering restaurant meals (a nod to the this Café). My post was about using our knowledge of one effect to develop new ones. I don't believe that I had read this thread of MagickMan's at the time.

I was not trying to steal other's ideas and I apologize if it seems that way. I like to be creative and I am quite willing to share those bits here. If I should credit anyone, I certainly will.

Cheers - El Lamo

P.S. Thank you for your post. I appreciate the comments. I will look for Peter's voodoo effect.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Pleeeze El Lamo
If I sounded like I was in any way inferring that you borrowed the effect..I APOLOGIZE. I'm not that big on giving credit since I really don't have much depth in the magic field, just a general lack of knowledge for me. I was just trying to visualize the effect and his was similar. I love the way that effects look or feel similar but each has its own individuallity. I really like your posts and I would probably never criticize you in a negative way. IT'S ALL GOOD!
I'll be reading Combo #17 as soon as I find it.
Thanks
Dave
This audio version of CLUE sounds wild.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
No worries, Slim!

It wasn't your tone. It was only my paranoia.
I wouldn't want to tick others off here. And I do appreciate Peter's willingness to share so much.

Cheers - El Lamo
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
509 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
Max Maven has something in Thavant.

Curt.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2004-10-24 12:28, mrmysticmike wrote:
Thanks to the advancements in electronics there is now a talking clue game. Perhaps those handy with a solder gun could gimmick the game to announce a prediction.

I doubt you'd need a solder gun to make something like that happen... I can think of at least a dozen simpler methods one could use before tampering with a device and ruining its inspectability.

I've been doing full evening Murder Mystery shows for several years now (as a Psychic Detective) and even posted an article @ VISIONS entitled "Clue" that is based on the old Jack Dean D.O.P. concept you may want to take a look at. Then too, I loathe using "gimmicks" for the post part and would be amiss if I didn't point out that just about everything discussed here can be done with little more than MR after a bit of practice.

Along these lines, I will make mention that a new Ebook has been in the works for the past couple of months that also covers this particular theme... well, the idea of a Murder Mystery and Psychic Detective that is. All going well it should be available sometime in mid-December. I'll keep you posted.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
My cluedo effect can be heard here

http://www.aspirationsmedia.com/radio

it is Part 5

Done on the radio.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I loved the whole show! Was Cluedo a marketed effect? I really liked it. I have an opportunity to do some radio stuff in a few weeks and your recordings are a perfect example of how I want to come across. BRAVO!!!!
Dave
PS..How did the Halloween Show go?
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Dave,

Thank you for your comments! The cluedo effect is my own, I am not sure if it is similar to someone elses as I have not looked at any of the others.

AS for the Halloween show, a combination of disasters and problems cumulated in a mixed bag! In essence it went ok, but there will be a lot of changes for the next one to tighten up some things and make sure others are rehearsed more!

The biggest problem was with the marketing, we had a lot of people thinking it was the real deal and some got a little upset just after the seance section Smile

Let me just say, there are some weird people out there!!

I was pleased with it for the reason that I got out there and finally did it, and I have learnt more in this one evening than I have over the previous years.

Regards,

Richard
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Richard
Learning is a great thing. I've been on stage for almost 35 years with many triumphs and defeats. Walt Disney said that he was glad that he had a great failure early in his career. Not that this was a disaster or anything. Your radio appearance, if there is such a thing, was perfect. I'm sure that the November show will be sold out as well. You'll have plenty of time to correct any mistakes. KEEP ROCK'IN !!!!!!
Did you wash your face?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Building the perfect Murder (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL