The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind's new DVDs ready to order (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I think these dvds will be awesome for anyone, but more so for those interested in starting out in mentalism. I'm familiar with some of the effects mentioned but I'm sure richard's presentations will be a whole new lesson.

Anabelle
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3829 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Anabelle,

I could not agree with you more that the DVds will be "awesome for anyone" and that Mr. Osterlind's presentations and comments will be first class, professional and insightful. My only exception to your comments is that since the majority of the effects included in this DVD set are classics, I think even the more seasoned professional or even the serious hobbyist will gain a great deal from watching and learning from Mr. Osterlind's performances and explanations.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
spadesy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of spadesy
These new series are great. The Annemann effects bring 'Practical Mental Effects' to life.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
A longer thread on this subject: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&64
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
I've been waiting for this for along time
And I'm pretty sure it'll be delightful to see such a master as Osterlind performing these effects.

The trailer at LLPub was fantastic
I'm just waiting for them to arrive
I had to order them from LLPub directly (thus passing the special offer and personalized poster at Mr Otserlind's site)

Can't wait for them!
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
Can't wait for my next payday !!!
Since I red my first mentalism books, I always wanted to see those effects performed, it seems that time has come.
I guess that now, when a newcomer in mentalism will ask the "where to start?" question, the answer won't be anymore only "13 steps" !
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 04:48, oxygen wrote:
I guess that now, when a newcomer in mentalism will ask the "where to start?" question, the answer won't be anymore only "13 steps" !

Well, I'm not sure I'd agree with that, and here's why.

Mentalism, as a performance art, is not much different than learning any other performance art. If you were to study acting, you'd do well to begin learning the fundamentals of acting. That way when you begin studying a particular actor's work, you'll be able to identify not only what he's doing, but why he's doing it. Then you can begin making decisions about how you want to represent yourself.

In mentalism, the fundamentals are found in magic. Bob Cassidy has great advice: start with Henry Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook." Understand the fundamentals of magic so that when you get to mentalism, you'll have the basics down.

I can't imagine a world where Corinda's "13 Steps" won't be required reading for budding mentalists. Turn to page 4 and get a college course on just one (but very important) aspect of mentalism.

The argument that Corinda is "outdated" is absurd. The reason some people make that claim, I think, is two-fold. First, they read the presentations and shudder to imagine doing it for contemporary audiences. No argument from me. But that leads to the second reason: had they grounded themselves in the fundamentals of magic, they'd already know that, when they read a trick, they need to find their own "voice" and routine it to suit their personality.

Apply that last bit of advice and any argument against Corinda (or Anderson, or Rutledge, or anyone else older than the performer) goes out the window, as well it should.

For the purposes of learning, even reading and watching Richard Osterlind's work should be to extract from it those things you can incorporate in your own performance world. The benefit of studying someone like Osterlind is to learn why a professional performer -- that is, someone who really does this stuff for normal people -- does what he does. Not so much what, but why (although the what in the case of these new DVDs is very worthy of study and obviously I am in favor of everyone obtaining a set of them -- magicians and mentalists alike.)

It's the difference between buying fish at the market (learning how someone does tricks), and learning to catch your own fish (learning how to learn how to do tricks).

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
John, I totally agree with you.

I think you misunderstood what I said (certainly due to my poor english, sorry).
I said "the answer won't only be 13 steps", by that I meant that there is a visual material now for what is in "13 steps" or "Practical Mental effects". So getting both is a great way to start I think.
It's sometime a bit hard for a beginner to visualize how the effects in the book could be presented and that's why many people wrongly say this book is outdated.

I made my first steps (well actually 13) in mentalism with this book and I often read it again.
As you said, I can't imagine getting into the field of mentalism without reading it, but I think the "Easy to master mental miracles" series is a great bonus to people's first steps in mentalism.
I'm sure it would have helped me a lot if I had seen these after (or while) reading 13 steps.

With the DVD, many people will stop calling "13 steps" outdated.

ps: sorry again for the poor english
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 09:40, oxygen wrote:

First, there is no need to apologize. You have a better grasp on the English language than a lot of people posting on The Magic Café who were actually born and raised in the USA. Smile

Second, one of the benefits of a back-and-forth discussion like this is discovering points of view and subsequent clarifications when someone misunderstands the words of another -- just like I did here.

And look, no blood was shed! Smile

John LeBlanc

oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
Thanks John Smile

By the way, are the DVD already released or is it in pre-order by now?
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 10:51, John W. LeBlanc wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 09:40, oxygen wrote:

First, there is no need to apologize. You have a better grasp on the English language than a lot of people posting on The Magic Café who were actually born and raised in the USA. Smile

Surely that is because being born and raised in the USA means that you use a b@stardization of the English language Smile
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 11:08, oxygen wrote:
Thanks John Smile

By the way, are the DVD already released or is it in pre-order by now?

It's all pre-order for now. So far as I am aware, they should be shipping sometime roughly around the end of the month.

John LeBlanc

Posted: Oct 19, 2004 12:16pm
-------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 11:26, salsa_dancer wrote:
Surely that is because being born and raised in the USA means that you use a b@stardization of the English language Smile

Ah, well, some of us prefer the euphemism "refined" in reference to that particular happening Smile

John LeBlanc

Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Oxygen,

I have to tell you that one of my main desires is to have people to go back into Annemann and Corinda and appreciate how timeless that material is.

In truth, I could have thrown darts at those books and found great material. What I actually did was to use those I am familar with and have performered over my career. The cards I used on Extra Sensory Perception are the same ones I made in 1970!

I only hope that newcomers to our art might look at these DVD's and, if they like what they see, rush out to get those books and other classics instead of grabbing at every new fad that comes along. (I know I am part of that fad myself and I apologize!)

Richard
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Although I have no doubt that this will be a very fine set of DVDs, does anyone else cringe at the title, 'Easy to Master...'? I can't help but feel that it wouldn't be difficult to find a more appropriate title, especially for a set of mentalism DVDs. Interested in hearing your thoughts on this.
Hello.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
PRE ORDER?

Richard's web site said 'BUY NOW' - so I did!

Did I 'buy now'?

Or is it all 'pre-order'?

Bev
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 22:13, Richard Osterlind wrote:

I only hope that newcomers to our art might look at these DVD's and, if they like what they see, rush out to get those books and other classics instead of grabbing at every new fad that comes along. (I know I am part of that fad myself and I apologize!)

Richard

Exactly what I thought about the idea of the "easy to master mental miracle" serie.

By the way, don't apologize for being part of "that fad"...we're many here waiting for more Mind Mysteries. If I'm not wrong you talked about that a few months ago: a new set of DVD in which you used some of your props (the stainless blindfold for example).
Any news???

Thanks
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-10-20 04:38, Stephen Long wrote:
Although I have no doubt that this will be a very fine set of DVDs, does anyone else cringe at the title, 'Easy to Master...'? I can't help but feel that it wouldn't be difficult to find a more appropriate title, especially for a set of mentalism DVDs. Interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Stephen

I understand your sentiments, but let me offer another viewpoint. L&L is one of the finest magic companies out there. They have revolutionized magic videos with the quality of the productions, the quality of the artists and their fine support. Learning any kind of magic or just watching your favorite performer has been made possible by their efforts. L&L spends a lot of money producing DVD sets like these. Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles has been a HUGE success. There have been 9 of these produced and, by now, any knowledgable magician understands that they are not self-working card effects, but great ones requiring practice to master. More importantly, viewers get a chance to see a master performer do them giving the proper presentation angles, etc. Since the goals of Easy To Master Mental Miracles are the same, it seems appropriate to call them by that name. Everyone knows what these are about and L&L wants to carry on the tradition of the "Easy To Master..." series.

In truth, and I have said this before, the intentions of my new series are a bit personalized. Not only did I want to present a series of effects within the capabilities of any competent magician or mentalist, and not only did I want to explain the proper "frame of mind" for doing these miracles, but I wanted to show, for the first time, what these classics look like. These ideas from Annemann, Corinda and others have always been tauted as the best mentalism material available, by acknoledged masters of our art, but you could never SEE them performed anywhere in mainstream videos. It has never been done! Even in older times, long before video technology or even television, magicians and mentalists traveled long and far to SEE the miracles they had heard or read about. Then here we are in 2004 and the Miracles of our Art are unavailable for anyone to see. That is why I feel this very great pressure on myself right now hoping that the fraternity will find the performance and explanations to be "up to par" for the material. Frankly, I will tell you right now, they are not. I'm sorry, but I could never do justice to this material. I don't know if anyone could. The masters who created them are mostly gone. I just hope that I can give an approximation of how they should look and hope that the viewer will take them even farther, perfect them and make them miracles.

Richard
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles has been a HUGE success. There have been 9 of these produced and, by now, any knowledgable magician understands that they are not self-working card effects, but great ones requiring practice to master.

This is exacly the problem. All the effects presented on both Ammar's 'Card Miracles', and your own 'Mental Miracles', do require practice to perform fluently and convincingly. The title is most certainly misleading and it is nigh on impossible to argue to the contrary.

Although I understand that L&L want the 'Mental Miracles' to carry on in the tradition of the 'Easy to Master' series, frankly I wish it was a tradition they had never started in the first place. The notion that any kind of magic (especially magic as powerful as mentalism) is 'Easy to Master' is a disturbing one to me and surely gives the wrong impression to those starting out in this field. (Even you, Richard, express doubt that these effects will be 'up to par'.)

The content of the DVDs looks like it will be absolute gold (and your modesty is to be applauded, Richard); it's a shame that the title doesn't reflect that. It's not like this will give me sleepless nights, it's just that I think another title would have been nice.

Regards,
Stephen
Hello.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-10-20 15:03, Stephen Long wrote:

This is exacly the problem. All the effects presented on both Ammar's 'Card Miracles', and your own 'Mental Miracles', do require practice to perform fluently and convincingly. The title is most certainly misleading and it is nigh on impossible to argue to the contrary.

I think this is based on your definition of what it means to master something.

When I look through the list on the DVD set, I don't find anything that includes difficult moves or above average concentration to perform. Do you honestly think the Hoy booktest is difficult to master? To me, that's like suggesting it's difficult to master taking a book off the shelf. The response to it is all out of proportion to the mechanical skill required to perform it.

The mechanics to everything on those disks are, in fact, easy to master. Same goes for everything on Ammar's nine ETMCM disks; there's nothing there that really taxes someone's ability to get the mechanics down. Sure, there are card sleights that are difficult to master, but none of them are on Ammar's set.

The issue, really, is that no where has anyone suggested it's easy to master the ability to present mentalism (or magic, for that matter). That only comes with a different kind of practice and mastering: it's called performing in front of normal people. But that has little to do with mechanics of the material.

For those reasons, I think Ammar's ETMCM and Osterlind's ETMMM are appropriately titled.

Finally, I realize it was egregiously annoying to the Real Card Guys that Ammar taught card tricks that absolutely floored normal people left and right. Afterall, if you spend a week learning a difficult sleight and only get a ho-hum response, then do 8-Card Brainwave using a throw-away Marlo move and the spectators are blown away -- well, I can see how that might get under someone's skin.

Same thing will happen with these disks. You can spend a few hundred dollars on one of the book tests out there, but I suggest the difference between the response you get doing it and the response you'll get doing the Hoy test will not be worth the few hundred bucks.

The set is filled with classic mentalism. Classics are classic for a reason.

John LeBlanc

Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Hi Stephen

Maybe we forget that the unique purpose of L&L Publishing is to make profit.Imagine if they name the dvds-The most difficult mental effects ever!!- many people would opt not to buy them. The tittle of any work( book,cd,movie,dvd ) plays a big role in getting people to purchase it.

I'm sure Richard and L&L decided the tittle after considering many other options.
I congratule Richard for being someone who perceived the lack of mentalism dvds out there.
Good business!
Now more and more mentalism dvds are published, so if you have enough money buy everything !!

by!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind's new DVDs ready to order (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL