The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Perfect subjects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
I am a full time firefighter and my colleagues are perfect as they are so distrustful with my manipulations etc. If I can get away with things with them I can take on anything.
I visulize every move that I can but still at times get the shakes. How can I combat this? Is it just experience that I am lacking?
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
One amateur magish to another, I have had the same problem - it will eventually go away.
I suggest writing out a very simple set of lines (i.e. script) to go with what you are going to do. Scripting is very important, as it is really part of the presentation of the trick.
Also, practice to the point where you can literally almost do it blindfolded - then you will have the technical part down.
I am curious, what tricks are you trying? Short and sweet may be better - it has been for me.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
I'm doing lots now, both mentalism and cards. It is when the effect is new that I seem nervous. Sam the Bellhop is an effect that needs more patter than skill, a few different false cuts and flourishes that I can do in my sleep yet when I try and perform this, it goes horribly wrong! As you say, practice, practice, practice, I'll keep it going.
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
THEHATER
View Profile
New user
Yugoslavia
37 Posts

Profile of THEHATER
I suggest you practice in a mirror imagining you are in front of a large crowd. It will help soon to overcome fear.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Only confidence will overcome your fears.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
I get the shakes too, but only right at first. Once the performance is in full swing they subside. I just make sure the first one or two effects I do aren't things that depend on finger-flinging. If you can find a pattern to them, you can work around them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Perfect subjects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL