The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magicians on active military duty (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Maybe I should have posted this under "Ask the Manager" but I thought it would get more attention here.

Many of us are not aware of all the sacrifices that our military members and military families make for our country. And, most of the time when they are on active duty (particularly those in the guard or the reserves that have been called up to active duty) they lose significant pay when they are called up from a civilian job to active military duty.

I think it would be a sign of acknowledgement and recognition of the brave men and women if we, as magic dealer and as single magicains, would give the "magician military" a break on prices for their magic supplies and items. Perhaps, if they provided a military APO or FPO address, dealers could cut them a special 20% discount on any magic purchases and we as fellow magicians could cut them a significant break on the sale of used magic or we could just give them some of our used magic for free.

I would propose that the "General Magic" section or the "Special Interests" or the "A Family Tradition" sections have a special "sticky" thread whereby all of our military magicians can list their names, units and military addresses. In that way, we can communicate with them (as pen pals) and/or show our gratitude in other ways.

Dealers can have a special flashing banner on their home page that thanks all of our military members and offers any discounts to them that they deem appropriate. Dealers might even have a weekly or monthly drawing whereby they award the miltary winner a gift certificate, etc.

Just a thought.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I agree with you on that! Smile I'm in the military and things are pretty tough here. Hope your idea gets embraced and accepted by the others..
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
What a great idea to Honor those who Serve and Protect the United States in other difficult and even dangerous places.

I have a couple of dozen decks of card that I am sending overseas to the troops. Not just to magicians, but to anyone who serves!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3373 Posts

Profile of Julie
What kinds of Magic would be appropriate and where can I/we get an individual Military Magician's address?

(everybody "sponsor" one?)
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
We all a great debt of graditude to the brave men and women of our military. They have my respect and I appreciate them tremendously.

Regan
Mister Mystery
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Any person who has an FPO or APO at their address is for sure in the US Military.

I suggest some magicians should roam the Military Bases around the world, performing shows and once they visit, they get all military magician's address.
The Base will sponsor the housing and hospitality.
THEHATER
View Profile
New user
Yugoslavia
37 Posts

Profile of THEHATER
I like this good idea. People who serve should deserve good benefits.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Hmm, time to get all my military buddies to order magic for me Smile

I live right next to a major military base, and perform for them a lot.

I've always noticed that they are great audiences, especially those returning from oversea's. I just recently performed for a young iraqi(late teens) and he loved magic *so* much, he said it was unlike anything he had seen before...

It's always good to do what you can to help our troops, they put their life on the line just by signing up.
tony4938
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
94 Posts

Profile of tony4938
I am in the British Army and having served in Iraq and Kosovo and I know what is like to recieve any sort of mail whether its from loved ones or strangers, it truely is like christmas everytime the mailbag arrives! so lets get behind the boys and girls please can we extend the idea for discounted postage to British forces with a BFPO number
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Quote:
On 2004-10-17 16:47, Turk wrote:
Maybe I should have posted this under "Ask the Manager" but I thought it would get more attention here.

Many of us are not aware of all the sacrifices that our military members and military families make for our country. And, most of the time when they are on active duty (particularly those in the guard or the reserves that have been called up to active duty) they lose significant pay when they are called up from a civilian job to active military duty.

I think it would be a sign of acknowledgement and recognition of the brave men and women if we, as magic dealer and as single magicains, would give the "magician military" a break on prices for their magic supplies and items. Perhaps, if they provided a military APO or FPO address, dealers could cut them a special 20% discount on any magic purchases and we as fellow magicians could cut them a significant break on the sale of used magic or we could just give them some of our used magic for free.

I would propose that the "General Magic" section or the "Special Interests" or the "A Family Tradition" sections have a special "sticky" thread whereby all of our military magicians can list their names, units and military addresses. In that way, we can communicate with them (as pen pals) and/or show our gratitude in other ways.

Dealers can have a special flashing banner on their home page that thanks all of our military members and offers any discounts to them that they deem appropriate. Dealers might even have a weekly or monthly drawing whereby they award the miltary winner a gift certificate, etc.

Just a thought.

Mike

This is a good concept my friend. It's the least we could do for those who put their lives at stake and serve.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Magicians on active military duty (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL