The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Watch Steal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but how do you practice watch steals? I'm not asking for secrets, just how to practice it.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
955 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I asked my wife to be a good sport and let me practice taking the watch. Of course that is not practical for the deceptive part, but it enables you to "get the feel" without having to look at what you are doing.
-Jim
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Work it into a routine which will still stand on its own should you get caught or mess up. That way with an alternative climax to cover the bungle you will get away with it.
Boldness and confidence is the root of this success,be strong and assertive with the moves, good misdirection helps.
Practice through actual performance is the key.
My 2cents worth.
BlendoSquid
View Profile
Regular user
UK
140 Posts

Profile of BlendoSquid
Hi,
To practice the moves you can put your watch on backwards and use the other hand to remove it.
As said above the moves are important BUT misdirection is even more important.

Kevin Courtney
:kewl:
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
James Coats told me to roll up a towel, put some tape around the end and jam it in a door, that's your arm.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2038 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Smash and Grab is one way to practice it.
Mario
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
ROFLMAO!!!

Mario, you kill me.

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24184 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I would be very leery of doing a watch steal while busking. Any kind of pickpocket act would be very likely to get one thrown in the local hoosegow.
or the Gefängnis. Or even gaol.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have said it here so many times in the past I was not going to bother in this thread. Bill, I am glad you said it and I think you are 100% right.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 00:57, Bill Palmer wrote:
Any kind of pickpocket act would be very likely to get one thrown in the local hoosegow. or the Gefängnis. Or even gaol.
And so rightfully!!!

Lack of judgement or a missing brain!

I support the polices judgement for once..I normally never do, but I'm willing to make an exception in this case..

Book the guy..for a performance at a *safe* place..that's the one with bars before his eyes!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
As Kondini mentioned, work it into a routine. Greg Wilson does the superbly on his DVD On The Spot. Not only does the routine work on its own (i.e. without the watch steal), but it actually helps you with the misdirection for the steal!

Great guy, Fantastic DVD
rexgetz
View Profile
New user
Manhattan, Ks.
84 Posts

Profile of rexgetz
I have a good friend in got into some serious trouble with the watch steal in a performance. Be very careful with your subject. People are nuts these days.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2112 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Even I would balk at the idea of lifting a watch during my shtick.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24184 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I just picked up a copy of one of the classic treatises on stage pickpocketing by one of the masters. I can't lay hands on it, because it's in with some stuff I picked up at the Austin auction. But I read it while I was in Austin. One of the things he points out is that the mere act of picking someone's pocket anywhere other than a theatrical setting is, in most locations, grand theft. The value of the objects lifted is of no relevance whatsoever.

He noted that when he did his act onstage, he would take EVERYTHING out of his pockets before he went on, put it in a special envelope, and give it to the stage manager. That way, he made sure before the act was over to give everything back. And there was no doubt of what belonged to whom.

He had some very pointed remarks about picking pockets that anyone who plans to do it MUST read.

I was once offered a gig at a trade show. I was to stand in the aisle and pick pockets as people passed by. (Look at all that alliteration -- almost like Spiro Agnew.) I told the lady who tried to hire me that it was a horrible idea. She thought it would be funny. But imagine this -- you are standing in the middle of a trade show, loaded with swag, while someone gets a call from his wife on his cell phone. He has to go to the airport for an emergency. He gets out to his car, and has no wallet. Bingo! You're in jail!

The funny part was that it was an insurance trade show. Go figure.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
Not to mention a real intrusion of privacy!!! There are some stupid people in this world!!

-=tabman

When I was stage managing the show Wicked, starring Amazing Johnathan and Kozak The Magician at Bally's in Vegas, they would do a pickpocket act where they brought a spec to the stage and did the routine about asking him all kinds of questions while they manhandled him all over the stage while seemingly taking his belt, wallet, watch, car keys. In the end the punch line was they had picked each other's pockets, not his. I guess you had to have been there but it was extremely funny from those two comic geniuses.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Wicked? I thought it was "Mayhem?" Or were there two different shows?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
You're right, it was Mayhem. Whew!!! Guess age is catching up with me. Wicked was the show we did in Pittsburgh the next year.

Thanks Dave, you're absolutely right. I still have the t-shirt even!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I practice on my brother or on my father. Sometimes I do it on some of my friends when it's the right time to perform something cool! I am very lucky because I was never caught doing that! Smile
Practice with your family or on your best friend!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 16:59, tabman wrote:
Thanks Dave, you're absolutely right. I still have the t-shirt even!!

-=tabman

So do I! It's a bit threadbare, but the picture is still there... barely. Fist clutching wand, punching through what looks like an old fashioned tambourine production tube.

Johnathan and Kozak's signatures disappeared long ago.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 18:45, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Fist clutching wand, punching through what looks like an old fashioned tambourine production tube.

That's the t-shirt I was talking about. I must have a half dozen of them, all like yours about worn out. You know that's a tabman wand in the picture on the t-shirt!!!;)

-=tabman

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Watch Steal (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL