The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is the effect called? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
The values and respect we share towards our own and other peoples work are certainly different. I will leave it at that.

Best with your magic.

MS
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
Quote:
I have never mimicked another performers effect. I believe that is what makes magic so unique, each performers own style of performing.Jim

Jim,

You are correct that it is the performers' own styles that make them unique. And it is certainly true that five performers can all have the same trick in their act and yet, to the audience, they all come across as different effects.

I suspect what got Michael's hair up (and no doubt the hair of a few others who may have read but not replied) is that your posts gave the impression that you not only wanted to learn the trick and create your own version but that you wanted to copy what somebody else was already doing.

Your reply above indicates that this is not what you had in mind. But consider your saying that you have a 5-year-old son yourself and would like to be able to do the same with him. You can see, I'm sure, just what sort of impression that might give.

There have been many different code acts through the years, and nobody owns the concept. The techniques used range from the surprisingly simple to the brutally complex. The simple ones, as you might suspect, have much greater limitations. But there is no way for any of us to tell you precisely what you saw or to name the system.

As smart-alecky as it may have sounded, the most correct answer you received was "hard work." You can do this type of effect with your son, your wife, a person of almost any age or even somebody you just met an hour ago, depending upon the limitations you're willing to accept. But to find out what will work for you, there is simply no substitute for, first, scouring the literature on two-person code acts and second, putting in the necessary time with your chosen partner.

This ain't off-the-shelf.

When you do find something you like, I hope you are true to your word and will work out a presentation that's different enough from what you saw with your friend and his son so that it appears to be something all your own.
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
Saglaser

I can now see where my post might have been misinterpreted as such. Thanks for pointing it out, I will try to use a little better wording in my further posts. I have enjoyed magic and the study thereof for many years and always enjoy finding new ways to amaze my audiences.

I am assured that this effect will be "hard work" but IMO having one that plays so well is well worth the effort and work that it might entail. I will assure you that this effect will be done using my personality and delivered in a completely different way than I have seen it performed in the past.

Thanks for your post and helping me see where I could have been "misleading" in my post.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is the effect called? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL