We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » If You're Serious About Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
I know there are a lot of performers out there who are serious about magic. I firmly believe that having quality effects really helps to enhance any performance. There is nothing worse than a shotty prop that doesn't perform (or look) like it should.

That being said, I have to give some "props" to builder Jack Murray (www.dream-illusions.com). This past weekend I made a trip to his shop in IN to pick up a fire cage illusion he recently built for me. As I expected...it's awesome! For my application I'm not using fire but it's nice to have the ability if I change my mind.

If anyone out there is looking for a sweet prop for an instant assistant appearance check it out. You won't be disappointed. Price is great, construction is wonderful, and it came with a case! Maybe that is why Gay Blackstone, Murray Hatfield, and many others have used Jack for their show needs.

I also saw his new "Quick Silver" production chamber again. It's looking awesome. Fully automated with opening/closing sides, smoke, etc. It's a really awesome piece for those of you looking for an appearance. Heck, it can produce up to 3 people. Jack said he's selling the first few for an intro price, which I was shocked to hear. This thing is built to the hilt.

Thanks Jack, I look forward to working with you again, and I hope others have a chance to do the same.
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
I too can only give great praises about both the quality of his props but more important the fantastic customer service that Jack Murray has. Jack totally will go the extra mile to accomodate you in your illusion needs. As you mentioned Bill people need to open their eyes to this incredible builder as his is top notch work!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You guys obviously haven't seen the props of Blackstone, Thurston, etc. Many of the old "Masters" had props that looked like garbage up close .... but they could perform real magic with them, and apparently made their audiences oblivious to the road wear.
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Of course many performers have props that look like garbage up close. But many of them DON'T work. I hope the Blackstone, Thurston, props and the like got wore down. They traveled all the time and were beat to heck in transit. I think you're confusing road wear with quality working materials. Both can exist in the same location....especially when your props travel in some harsh conditions. Things weren't like they are today (obviously).

But hey, if you want to buy a new prop that works but looks like junk go for it Smile Not sure the motivation of the previous post other than something to say, so with that said, "Hi Mom!"
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Thanks Bill for your praise.
Due to the expense of R&D for "Quicksilver" I've decided to offer my Fire Cage at WHOLESALE till the end of Nov. This is the worlds only "no-bolt" assembly Fire Cage and can be set up in about two minutes by one person. Can be used with or without fire. If interested send me a PM or contact me through my website for pricing. Comes w/ATA and ready to perform.
Also ask about my free shipping option!!!

Regards
Jack
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

WHOLSESALE?! Anybody who has ever thought about getting one..now is the time in my opinion.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
No, Bill, just because someone doesn't say exactly what you want to hear doesn't mean they're posting "just for something to say." Seems to me you're pretty arrogant to make such an assumption. My point was that a quality performer generally outshines a good-looking piece of stage equipment.

As for "looking like junk," beauty is in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? Is the current "diamond-plate" look that appears to still be unfinished a thing of beauty? Or is the colorful look of the traditional Owen's prop "dated"? Copperfield and Blaine routinely make magic with props that appear to be junk ... kinda takes the heat off the prop, doesn't it?
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

I love how people misjudge others based upon a few simple sentences. I have become arrogant all of a sudden. Nice. Please reread my first post as I stated that a quality prop helps to enhance the performance. It does that in a variety of ways, but most of it helps when the props WORKS properly. I didn't mean that the prop makes the show. Look past the exterior and look at the craftsmanship of the effect. If Copperfield and others as you say have pieces that look like junk, I'll bet you they're designed to be that way, but are built way better than most props out there today. Well built good looking props do enhance shows hence the success of the major builders out there.

I think this is getting off topic mainly due to a post that wasn't related to Jack's work (which is what the thread was about). Bottom line of this thread was to say I was happy with the quality and craftsmanship of the piece I recently purchased from Jack Murray. I apologize if things took a wrong turn.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Some times words can be interpreted a bit different then when spoken face to face. I just want to say I beleive that a quality prop is going to last longer then a cheap prop when on the road.

Back on track. Nice job again Jack. Keep it going. Love to see some photos of Quicksilver. Do you have any??

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Yes I have some pics of Quicksilver I can send if you forward your email to:
wwwjack@webtv.net

Jack
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The oldtimers who travelled extensively had people with their show who did routine maintenance on their props to keep them working right and to make sure they looked good at the distances from which they were supposed to be viewed.

Even today, people who do a lot of road work take time to make sure their props work properly and are built solidly. If your props don't work, you can't expect to do a consistent show.

Good builders make it easier on us.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Exactly Bill! Thank you for your comments. Sadly there are builders out there who make effects that don't consistently function due to lack of quality and craftsmanship.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » If You're Serious About Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL