The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Materials for illusion building (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
I built a "Book of Life" using dollhouse style concealment 6 years ago, and finished it with a rugged red fabric. It was the perfect finish for the illusion.

For materials, yep, birch ply, aluminum sheeting, and laminates have been my bread and butter as well.

--- Guy
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
That explains why you keep chipping your teeth.....
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Smile
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I have had no problems with the masonite and warpage. We have used it for years in our guitar shop for making patterns.
varg
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of varg
I´ve used all kinds o material but my personal
favourite is metal - if you have the right machinery
for bending etc. it´s really cheap, fast working with
and long lasting + gives you that extra centimeter / inch
magicsiow
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
102 Posts

Profile of magicsiow
Anyone of you using aluminum sheet to replace plywood? How to you use it? How thick of an aluminum sheet? I always use formica for finishing as I know plastic resin products aren't suitable for summer outdoor shows. Do your have any opinion ?
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
When using aluminum sheeting where stength is necessary, I use 10ga. This is approx. 1/8" thick. If strength isn't a factor, then 14 works fine.

Jack
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Another route to consider is the coil coated sheet materials that are available. These are usually around the 5mm thickness mark, aluminum faces back and front (coil coated in a colour) with a PVC core. It can be machined easily and can be scored using a 45 degree router bit then folded up to make dimensional boxes etc.
Dibond, Reynobond are a couple of the products available over here in the UK. They are great for the more cosmetic parts of a prop.
In respect of cloth coverings etc. take the fire rated route. You can get a variety of thin leatherette type materials and velvets to cover various elements of deception. A supplier route to research are the companies that supply coverings for the exhibition industry.

Cheers

Mark
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
In Russia they make sheets from duralumin - aluminium by thickness in 1 mm. They are very easy to work with and are strong, but they cannot be bent more than 90 degrees.
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
For plywood items try the 10mm (3/8") ply found at Home depot type places (in the US). It is multple ply for stability, smooth, strong, lighter than 1/2"

For medium size props, try the PVC foam core sheets. They come in 4x8' sheets @ $60 per sheet. Not cheap, but easy to work with, light, and easy to paint. With a little glue you can quickly assemble items without bracing, corner fillets, etc. I also found out it is waterproof (found this out when I broke an egg in an open top box and had to wash it out!)
magicsiow
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
102 Posts

Profile of magicsiow
Do your mean doing a dimensional boxes like size of tip over box...using aluminum sheeting, duralumin, PVC coil coated sheet or PVC foam core sheets 5mm or 10 mm thickness...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Materials for illusion building (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL