The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Blind Circle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spadesy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of spadesy
Here is only the raw effect idea that I am trying to expand on that I thought I'd share, though I have not tested it with people yet (only inanimate objects). Any thoughts?

The performer begins blind folded outside a room with a crowd inside. Thirty-two people stand in a circle in order to a pre-arranged list of names. The performer enters the room and walks in to the middle of the circle. He may be spun around to create more confusion to which person is facing first, and then starts to silently and blindly greet each circle member with minimal or no contact at all, and then continue quickly with the next person. After a few greetings, the performer can name the person in front of them or stop at particular person in the circle.
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
Are the people in the circle allowed to speak? I mean can you pick out one voice then use some memory tricks to memorize who was standing next to who. Or you could use a s** t*****h blindfold.

Gareth.
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
spadesy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of spadesy
No talking from the people in the circle and preferably almost no physical contact at all (I'm working on this).

A blind person can perform this.

Yes, the list is mnemonic (which is not a trick but a tool). It is a mystery for the performer to start at any person.

What I want to do is have the people 'sorted' without them totally realising they are in a ordered list.
lawrencetreagus
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of lawrencetreagus
Banachek's PSI series has a piece with a borrowed bill and envelopes which he asks them to swap while his back is turned. The maths would be complex, but I think this could be adapted to work on a larger scale.
spadesy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of spadesy
Now that is a completely different effect, though I suppose it could be incorporated in some way.
lawrencetreagus
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of lawrencetreagus
Banachek uses three bills and ask the subject to swap. If you had 30 people you could adapt the same method, I think. I should mention that I haven't done the math (I shall leave this to you as it's your trick!), but on face value without investigation I think it could work.

Regards.
spadesy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of spadesy
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar to the PSI series, though it is on my wish-list. Smile

Originally, I used cards, but using people is rather ambitious, and probably boring.

My concern was to have a group of people or objects placed to form a circle, without too much suspicion as to a sorted/stack order. It would have to be something like a false shuffling cards with people's names/items before they get placed in the circle. This could be one solution, but does not eliminate cards.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
If you had a downwards p**k then you would be able to put a mark (say a white line) on the floor in order to orientate yourself perhaps?

Just a thought.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
If you know the people, it's a simple matter of footwear.

The thing here is, what is going to keep people from saying "you're seeing through the blindfold." You can use dough and half-dollars and aluminum foil, but unless you add something else - that can't be accomplished by looking through a blindfold - skeptics will still say you're looking through the blindfold (they may not know exactly how, but they'll fight for that reasoning).

It's something to think about, but let me help it along. What if everyone sealed something that's personal to them (e.g. rings, watches) in an envelope. All the envelopes are gathered and mixed. Then you come in, same set-up as before. You're handed envelopes, one at a time, you discern what the item is inside the envelope, what meaning it has for its owner, then you walk right up to the owner's face and hand it to them. You can start a small cult with something like that.

The method involves your thumbnail and shoes - and can be nearly impromptu (if you can make a blindfold out of anything, and get envelopes anywhere, then it would be totally impromptu), but I won't get into it here since it's an open forum.

Best,

James.
spadesy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of spadesy
Remember, this effect can be done totally blind and deaf when greeting the people. I'd like to explain more about the method, but it is interesting to see different angles being approached.

The idea, like with any stack, is that as soon as you know one, you can work out any other from a stack. This is straight forward.

Consider it a challenge, before I explain---that is how do I know who the person is by a quick touch handshake?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Blind Circle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL