We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Original Okito Ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
This is a continuation of the conversation in the Don Wayne postings, but since I am switching directions, I decided to post a new topic.

Does anyone know where the original routine for Okito's floating ball is published. Also, another posting mentions a float candle that Doug Henning used to do. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this effect.

Thanks,
Richard
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
I thought the original routine was published in the Albo books. The story ,as I heard it, was that Fu Manchu had the routine taken out of the book at the last min due to the fear that some "hack" would ruin the effect that his father and later himself had created so it was taken out and later published in the highly acclaimed Albo books.

Robert Long

P.S. I could be wrong though lol
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I'm not really familiar with the Albo books. Could you give me a little more info? I did a web search, but didn't find much.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
I'm not sure but I believe the routine might be in the book "Illusion Builder to Fu Manchu." I know I've read it somewhere. I'll check my library to see if I'm wrong.
The Albo books are a series of fairly well researched books listing a large number of Thayer, Okito and other historical effects written by Dr. Robert Albo, a heavy hitter in the sports medicine world and magic enthusiast. I'm not even sure how many books there are now (he wrote a bunch!) but if you want to own them, you will need to have a SERIOUS heart-to-heart with your banker! They go for a pretty penny.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
I have that book I will check it and let you know.

There are 17 pagges of reference in the book. 31/2 pages on the ball itself. This book was published IN 1986 and was written by robert olsen. Let me know if I can be of any future help. chuck
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Robinson Wizard published a manuscript that was a translation of the Okito Floating Ball manuscript which was published in Germany many years ago. The original concept, though, was by David P. Abbott.

Paco Miller learned the routine from Edmund Spreer, who was the mechanic for Fu Manchu. I have seen Paco's setup.

Quote:
The Albo books are a series of fairly well researched books listing a large number of Thayer, Okito and other historical effects written by Dr. Robert Albo, a heavy hitter in the sports medicine world and magic enthusiast.

Actually, Dr. Albo is a neurosurgeon. Although he is quite a collector, some of the material in his books is questionable. For example, there are a number of errors in his research on Taytelbaum.

I'd say he has about a 70% accuracy rate.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The "Okito" routine is included in the Albo books. David Ben does and excellant job with it.

The David Abbott routine is in the the Abbott book (not like the Abbott Magic company) and is currently running ads for a updated version.

Billy Russel also had a good version of it that was sold by the Donald Holmes company with photos.

All take the proper staging and work. Don Wayne's version is much simpler and forgiving.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
The more I research this, the more I want to study the Okito routine. Chuck Lyons has been a great help to me so far. (Thanks again Chuck Smile)

I haven't had much luck in finding copies of the Albo books and since there are more than one (10 I think), I need to find out which one has the Okito routine in it. Do you know which one this is, Richard?

I have seen bits of David Ben's performance, but not enough of it to understand the flow of the entire routine. Also, I understand Lance Burton's birdcage levitation is based on Okito's routine. I have it somewhere on tape, but can't seem to find it.

Thanks again everyone!
Richard
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
Billy Russel also had a good version of it that was sold by the Donald Holmes company with photos.

This version appeared in the Linking Ring during the 1950's and was quite complete.

One of the big problems with modern performances of the OFB is that the people who did not learn the routine directly from a Bamberg will not understand the choreography of it.

Paco Miller learned it from David Bamberg. So did Edmund Spreer. I saw Ed Spreer at his last performance. This was in Acapulco. He came out to do the OFB, the routine started and the gaff broke. The ball fell to the stage and Ed walked offstage, heartbroken. He had the full sympathy of the audience, though. He should have reset it and done the performance. Instead, he left the convention.

Everyone in Mexico loved Ed Spreer. He was a true gentleman. He had added a couple of improvements to the ball that allowed him to float an even larger ball. But it just didn't work out.

The Okito method was not easy to do and required that NO ONE MOVE BACKSTAGE during the performance.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I just now read Edmund Spreer's description of the effect and it sounds wonderful. The backstage gaff he mentions sounds fairly precarious (15ft!) So I can imagine the need for quiet backstage. I am very sorry to hear about the Acapulco incident. I can tell by reading his description, he had a tremendous amount of respect for this effect.

I think I have enough info now to start working out my routine. I am trained in theater and have no problem understanding the ammount of work something will take to perfect. I am planning to use this in a show to premire in about a year, so I have a lot of time to work it out.

Thanks again to everybody!

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Original Okito Ball (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL