The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marked Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Any thoughts on Becker and Earl's The Banned Deck vs. Lesley's Marked Deck?

Sven
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of jasper
I don't know Becker and Earl's, but Lesley's is great. I use it all the time without fear.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
Kephri
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm Sweden
195 Posts

Profile of Kephri
I have it on order, but haven't gotten it yet. Will tell you more what I think about it when it arrives here.

In the meantime if you already haven't discovered, you can see how they are marked by looking at the "Mentalism Unlimited" site.

One think that to me is appealing is the deck comes right out of the box in BCS order. I also, as so many other, think the Lesley deck is great. One advantage with the new one, though, is you
don't have to mess around doing the marking yourself.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I'll second Ted Lesley's deck. IMHO the best marked deck there is. So easy to use.
You can even fool other magicians who don't know the secret, even let them inspect the cards if they want.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I use Ted Lesley's Marked Deck as well as Boris Wilde's marked deck. Both are excellent and have great routines available with them.

Kind thoughts,

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I agree with some thoughts Doug Dyment shared on this forum a while ago. Basically he states that as mentalists we can't afford to get caught. Magicians have this "luxury" more than ourselves.

The Lesley marked deck is more likely to be seen than others, unfortunately. Some may take this chance, but I know I couldn't. The one Doug suggests and the one I use is Bob Farmer's Farmarx.
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
Becker's and Earle's marked deck is the best there is. Period.

Thom
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
...Only in your esteemed opinion. Period.

Dr. Zordas
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5826 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I bought some of these at MAGIC Live. It is a cool thing which you can use as freely or as rigidly to the system as you like. In the end, however, I must agree; think long and hard about the chance of getting caught.

All that said, the devils, instead of angels, lend themselves to certain occasions. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Cheers,

Tom
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Though I intend to find out more about this new marked deck, whenever I use a marked system I use Lesley's. It has always worked very well for me, and due to proper presentation, I've never been caught with it.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I second David's post. A working pro can't afford to get caught. Otherwise, he's no longer a working pro.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Thanks for the advices, guys!
I have never used marked decks, and didn't think I would.
However, I noticed an effect on one of the Lesley DVDs that could be interesting to try out.

Sven
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I have been using the Lesley deck for two years now and have never been caught by a layman and only with close friends among magicians (and that's because they now suspect ANY card I hand them and EVERY deck I bring out.) I do realise I am not a working pro, but I have certainly performed more than twice a year with the deck. I have, however, had the opportunity to watch a pro work with this deck and fell this is true: if you handle the cards like they are just a deck of cards, you take more than 90% of the heat off of the deck. Then again, if you are a mentalist and are performing as such, you may want to look to as hands off a method as you can and just learn a good stack system to use in concert with your deck.
I am not advocating the BCS or any other stack, just suggesting you learn one. This would help to lend credibility to your performance.

*NOTE* This only applies if you use cards. Non-users can disregard to previous.

:bg:
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Larry Becker & Lee Earles Marked deck is exceptionally clever, it doesn't just tell you what each card is but also the previous card which enables you to have a super clean peek. I love Boris Wilds and Ted Lesleys.

The most important thing with a marked deck is to rig it in and out at the appropriate time. I personally find that the first effect I do with cards is when I may have someone want to inspect the cards, infact on occassion I insist on it, then once the first effect is over I may go into something else then re-introduce a marked deck which they believe is the original deck. I have switched a regular blue backed bicycle deck with the Becker and Earle deck and not been caught.

M.S.
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Friends:
your posts about my marked deck are very interesting. With the right handling and misdirection the marks are not detectable and I and zillions of other magicians have never been caught. Even today I fool versed magicians with it. Look at my card-stab for example (it´s on my DVD´s) In this routine it is really impossible to spot the marks.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Kevin Neale
View Profile
New user
Birmingham UK
14 Posts

Profile of Kevin Neale
Marc....

You are being very modest as you have your own take on the marked deck. Some have said one of the most undetectible marked decks in close up work. I know Peter Nardi regards yours very highly as he couldn't spot the marks even when he knew there were marks..

Peter mentioned it is on the DVDs but which chapter?

Kevin
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Hi Kevin,

N.A.M.D. is my Marked Bicycle Deck, which I designed about four or five years ago. It is primarily used in close up as I use Ted Lesley's in Cabaret settings however some do use my marked deck in cabaret settings. Peter did have trouble spotting the system much to my delight...

M.S.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3830 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I just got Becker/Earle's Demon Deck. It came with bicycle backs and it is marked with the name of the card selected as well as the previous card in the stack. It also already came set upo in the Break Through Card System stack. If you do any of Mr. Oslerlind's routines with this marked deck, you do not need to see or take a peek at the face of the card to know which card the spectator selected/thought of.

Bedst regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Sorry Kevin,

It is on Chapter Four - The Initiated.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Marc, I'm looking forward to your videos and your MD approach in NAMD.

Regarding the Earle and Becker Banned Deck, I wonder if it is available in Red-backs Bicycles as all of my decks are red-backed

Juan D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marked Decks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL