The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Holiday Parties... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Dear Café,

I have been getting lots of work for the holidays at corporate functions. I would do my normal set but I want to switch it up with a Holiday theme. Are there any books or can any one offer any advice.

Doc
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
There are a lot of holidays coming up.

Once, I had a guy come up on stage for a demonstration. I started using some hypnotic languaging, building curiosity with something to the effect of, "just like when you were a kid, and it was christmas time, and you had this HUGE present all wrapped up - just for you..." In short, the guy was Jewish and was put off by my words. It still went over well, but I'm a perfectionist and stopped making specific holiday references in my act. I didn't want to offend anyone over something as inane as a holiday.

So, now I always use neutral language in my shows. I don't favor one holiday over another (e.g. christmas has become "birthday"). But that's just me. If you're doing a christmas party, for example, I don't see the harm in doing something christmas-related. I just don't like to think so much.

Best,
James.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Yes. My ex is Jewish and its even rumored that I have some in my blood lines. I guess I was looking for happy joyous effects that help foster a good mood. I guess I just answered my own question. I have more then enough knowledge to perform a psychometry gift effect in which everyone writes the name of a gift they'd like to receive this "Holiday" season....

Theres a billion of them!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3830 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Technicolor Prediction using Chanukah candles. I'm Jewish too so I'm entitled to joke.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Last year I would close with a piece with a cocktail napkin. I would remove the napkin from my pocket. Fold it up and start tearing little pieces from it. Once opened, the napkin resembled a snowflake. I would then roll up the napkin and perform snowstorm all to music. This sounds fairly cliche to magicians, but it played great.

shawn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Holiday Parties... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL