The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Mysterious Pinky Finger (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
I was watching Ammar's wonderful Introduction to Coin Magic and I noticed something. It was his pinky finger and the fact that it curves toward the other fingers.

I look at my right hand, holding the palm flat, and my middle AND pinky finger both go straight up. There is no curve to my pinky finger at all. My 1st and 3rd fingers curves a bit towards the middle finger.

So that got me to wondering... is it normal for peoples pinky finger to curve towards the middle finger or to be straight?

And for the relation to coin magic... does having a curved pinky finger make it easer to hold coins in the Goshman/Tenkai backpinch? It would 'appear' so... but as with our field of enjoyment... things are not always what they appear to be.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Peoples fingers can have slight bends one way or another, especially if one point in time you broke a knuckle Smile

If you don't have much fat on your fingers, it can be helpful for fingers to be able to conform to the finger next to it so that the fingers don't window.

Is there some minor advantage with different shape, and size fingers, yea. Is it so big that they can't be overcome, usually not.
Click to visit:
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
This is why it is helpful to remember that what works for one person may not work exactly the same for another. Different hand sizes, shapes, muscular development...all factor in to how an individual is able to perform certain sleights. My index fingers actually twist inward at the tips, causing a slight gap at the second phalanx which I have to be mindful of when concealing anything in my hands. This is simply a genetic variation (it is common in my family), as I suspect is the case with Ammar's pinkies. The important thing is to be aware of your own hands and what does or doesn't work for you.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
My LH middle finger has a curve toward the ring figner which makes a big window their. Also of interest is that my ring fingers are actually longer than my first finger!

Chad
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
My fingers are tied in square knots from trying to learn some coin sleights!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I saw that one of Ammar's middle fingers bends/curves as well.

My pinkies are straight, but have a tendency to curl OVER TOP my third finger when I make a fist.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
spherie
View Profile
New user
Germany
52 Posts

Profile of spherie
It would be interesting if someone actually got bended fingers because he _did_ coin magic. Locked forever in the Tenkai pinch.. Smile

Regards,

Spherie
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Two things, First my pinky bends toward my middle finger. The other is for chad, there have been studies that show that the proportion of your ring finger to your index finger is related to the amount of testosterone you were exposed to in the womb. In short having a longer ring finger than index finger should be common with all men and not with women.

I even saw a professor accurately predict the outcome of a race by measuring the fingers Smile Probably just luck or astrology but I thought you might like to know that it's normal.

-Dan
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
All I can say is that you all have spent wayyyyyy too much time watching the Ammar videos to notice this stuff! :o)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
hmmm....Now that you mention it I do have curves pinkies.....all my finger(not as much as the pinkie) curve towards my middle finger...which is straight....

Jakks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Mysterious Pinky Finger (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL