The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Scrawney Hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CrookedChris
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin
30 Posts

Profile of CrookedChris
Coins and I just don't seem to get along. Cards and I get along very well, but coins seem to hate me.

I've gone through Bobos a few times and everytime I just get more and more frustrated. I can do false transers pretty well, but concealing and handling coins otherwise seems to be a big issue.

One of the things that seems to plauge me is that I have pretty scrawney hands. The flesh between my fingers and in the rest of my hand always seems too "lean" (for a lack of a better word) to grip coins. There's just not enough pudge.

Am I making any sense, or is everyone just confused now? I wish I had a better way of explaining it.

Anyway, is it valid to blame my inability to handle coins on the scrawneyness of my hands or am I making up lame excuses?
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
283 Posts

Profile of k
Ckeck out this site :

http://stone.magiczoom.com/earticle1.htm

it will make you feel better and gain confidence I'm the exact inverse : love coins think card hate me... but I think I'll get some card college...
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
David Roth has quite small hands; it doesn't seem to have been an impediment.

Keep working at it.
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Hard to know what the problem might be unless we know what type of coin effects you are attempting. Matrix routines? 3-Fly? Manipulation? If it's a manipulation kind of thing, the coins you use might be part of the problem. Old worn coins (so-called "soft" coins, or "slicks"), are useful for certain routines because they are silent when rubbed against one another. The downside is that the sides of the coins are also slick, and thus hard to hold by edges (either in display, or in a Down's palm, say). A solution is to find a friendly jeweler who, using a metal file, can recreate those "reeded edges", making them easier to hold. I found a jeweler in my home town who charged me $10/coin to do this.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I would be surprised if your fingers couldn't handle a finger palm or a thumb palm, neither of which depend on "fleshy" pads. The classic palm is another matter, but as $2000Magician says, you just have to keep working at it, and teach certain hand muscles some new "moves."

Maybe you mean that you have "windows" between your fingers? People with long or bony fingers have this problem -- there are spaces, or 'windows" when they hold their hand up to the light. These windows can reveal palmed coins and allow them to flash.

I have this problem, and thought I might be doomed to give up coin magic and perform the Linking Rings forever instead! <grin> However, I discovered that the "windows" are most visible only when your fingers are fully outstretched -- which is never the case with a finger palm. In fact, the slight curling of the fingers needed to do a finger palm closes about 90% of the windows for me. From that point on, it's just a matter of being careful. And of course, you can have all fingers outstretched in a thumb palm, and windows won't be an issue, ditto for a classic palm.

So there is always an answer if you just take your time and listen to your hands. Everyone's hands are different, and everyone will do these coin sleights in a slightly different manner. You need to discover what works for you, and that only comes with concentration and practice. Don't get frustrated and give up!

Good luck with your coin magic, and let us know how you are coming along. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have two of the smallest hands of any magician I know.

Hey at a whopping 5'5" tall I guess they fit me.

Someone told me Houdini was the same height, and interestingly, he also spoke in a higher voice range.

I am still waiting for my voice to change.

These days I work with coins as small as US dimes to old Morgan USA silver dollars.

Be safe and creative. (of course to be creative we must take risks)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2004-10-21 08:18, sethb wrote:
. . . but as $2000Magician says . . . .

Seth:

It's not $2000magician.

It's S2000magician.

As in Honda's incredible roadster.

;)
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Size of Hands matters not.

Magicians have been blaming size of hands forever.

Keep practicing, use different size coins, etc.

You need to build those muscles and dexterity up.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Scrawney Hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL