The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » The way we dress (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
A few months ago I was in this forum and there was a discussion of why magicians dress so badly. That they should move with the time like David Blaine. I agreed back then that you shouldn't wear a tux with a tail because that it's out of fashion.

But now I disagree. I've been looking though many magicians' personal websites and think that if you were at a dinner party or a children's party you should wear a tux because it looks nice. Like you've made an effort.

But, this is just 1 magicians opinion.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
For the material I perform and the character I play, a tux is out of the question. I would look very out of place. That is for me, personally. I think that the problem with most other wearing them is that it it is not unique. I think that you should wear something that sets you a part, and denotes you as "The Performer". A tux means you are part of the wait staff. Smile
magicreza
View Profile
Regular user
USA
126 Posts

Profile of magicreza
I think that a Tux may be the appropriate attire for a close up magician doing a dinner party, that wants to be viewed like any other close up magician in that situation.
BUT, the same might not hold true for the next performer.
Imagine these guys in a tux:
Dimmare
Lance Burton
Etc.
:::It works for them:::

Imagation the following performers in a classic Tux:
Mac King
David Copperfield
Criss Angel
Sylvester The Jester
:::Doesn't fit so well:::

I think magician's should feel free to express themselves by the clothing they wear, by wearing what suits each performer the best.

But, there are many good points that can be made both ways, so I try to remain opened minded on the subject.

Reza
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I like hearing your opinions. I do now agree that it's up to the magicians personality. I just don't think that a tux should be totally out of the question to wear. I would if it was a formal thing. But not on the street and I couldn't see David Copperfield in one. LOL

Prettylady
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1001 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
An interesting thread here,

Here in Taiwan, many of the magicians here wear tux's for their silent shows. Unfortunately, they mainly look like they are basically copying old classical magicians. They also don't get much reaction from their shows. It looks like they don't really have a defined character that comes through in their performance.

I perform as a talking magical clown, who sometimes doesn't realize that magic is happening, have a lot of audience participation, and lot's of fun interaction with the whole crowd. So far it's working out great.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
I dress like Michael Jackson, if it`s more formal show, then I wear one of his famous suits (like he wears during "Smooth Criminal", "Dangerous" or "You rock my world" performances), but still keep throuses little bit short, so my white socks can be seen. If it`s my own show, not the one I have been invited to, then I greate the theme my self (usually wear his "Billie Jean" or "Black of white" outfit). Anyway, dressing like so defenately attract spectatours Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2004-10-24 02:40, prettylady1990 wrote:
I just don't think that a tux should be totally out of the question to wear. I would if it was a formal thing.

A "prettylady" in a tux?? Having a hard time picturing that!
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-11-11 14:27, DoctorAmazo wrote:
A "prettylady" in a tux?? Having a hard time picturing that!

From another thread:
Quote:
In a more casual atmosphere, I favor a full-cut skirt (side seam pockets!) with blouse and fitted vest. Think "I Love Lucy" for silhouette and flavor.
In a formal setting, I like a man's tuxedo jacket with a plain bustier rather than a shirt, and pleated pants. Once in a while, a bow tie is a fun addition.

It's all in the attitude...
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
As I said before, it always depends on where you perform and what the customers expect. You cannot always wear a tie and shirt.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
David Blaine, and Doug Henning are one of a kind magicians. If you want to be a one of a kind magician you'll have to come up with your own original distinctive look, or if you don't need to date a super model, or be a world famous celebrety you could just concentrate on looking like a professional.
Happy New Year
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
I'm a goth so I wear dark clothes. Generally black or navy blue tight fitting sleeves and waiscoat with black trousers and cowboy boots with 3 or 4 inch heels. This outfit also works with a dark jacket for formal wear. It's slightly unusual but then it helps if you have an offbeat image, as people are expecting something to happen. It is also what I wear most of the time anyway so I'm happy with it.

Also I think the dark clothes give a great contrast for the props like green and red sponges or silks. Making your magic visible and attractve is important.

As for pretty ladies in Tux's, why not? I think it would be smart for the right kind of setting.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I have a lot of clothes to wear and everyone is good for me.
Well I like to wear something interesting.
I like to wear my long coat, nice looking jacket....
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Since I rarley perform where there is a wait staff, or if there is one they are not formally dressed, I will wear my tux. I buy a new one regularly and have it professionaly tailored. I mean doing a lot more than just haveing the cuffs finished. I will wear a fancy vest to "jazz" it up a bit. I try to give people what they want. For most of my shows the tux is the expected uniform. I have palyed around with sport jacket and slax as well as suits.

I have done a few shows in dress slacks and a muted hawaien shirt. Those were backyard parties and everyone else was in jeans, shorts, t-shirts and polo's. I still dressed up and was clearly "in costume".
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » The way we dress (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL