The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Reading Is Magic" by Barry Mitchell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
This new routine is being marketed by Hank Lee at
http://hanklee.net/hotlist/

Mr. Mitchell has an excellent reputation amongst kid show performers, yet, given the nearly $200 price, it would be comforting to hear from someone about the quality of the props and the routine. No offense, Barry!

Thanks, folks!

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I was at the Kidabra Convention and saw Barry Mitchell perform this book production. It was good. Yes, it sold out quickly right after he peformed this routine. If you have purchased his creations, then you know the quality. Barry creates and manufacturers his own props and it is like the other stuff he has created.

I just didn't have an extra two hundred to purchase it.

By the way, Barry is absoultely a genius when it comes to performing and creating. He had us all laughing so hard when he did his stage performance, dealer performance and stage talk on creating magic. I'm not sure I could duplicate how he presented this routine.
Dennis Michael
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Thanks, Dennis!

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Thank you, I wanted to know what type of responce this effect got.
I just have one question, with the book being 3 inches wide, did that take away from the effect or magic of it at all when all the things appeared out of the book?
Thank you very much in advance.
Mack Magic
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

The book was on a pedalstool like someone reading to an audience. (Kind of like the Bible priests use at church.) It did not take away from the trick. It reminded me of a Walt Disney Book you see in so many of his story telling movies.

It is a story telling trick about King Midas and his golden touch. Out comes the crown and gold nuggets, and other golden props. One wonders how Barry got them all crammed into that book. Since I did get a good look at what he put into it I was surprized that more could have been put into it. The story and routine played well, but lacked that "magic...magicial touch" (How many things do you pull out of a square circle before your audience says "OK, now do something different"... just my thoughts.)

Now the response from the magicians in attendance was that Barry did get a very nice round of applause and many went on stage to look over the book, others purchased what he had on the self, and still others ordered it. Probably others wanted to copy it because of the price sticker on it. (Naw...not Magicians!)

Will I add it to my collection? I don't think so because I am not a story telling magician. (I also have a ton of other kid stuff.) King Midas might appeal to a specific younger crowd whereas I like magic that crosses all age barriers. I like all of of Steve Taylor's Educational Theme magic and routines, it's more my style and fits my personality and character.

Unfortunately, there were no kids in the audience to realize the exact impact of it. From a kid's perspective I can see the magic in it. The dreams of a book that comes alive with things as one reads the story, a fantasy dream that comes true. It has potential as a "Library Show" entertainment. The Librarians would probably love it. The meassage is clear that reading comes alive for those that believe. "Reading is Believing" theme or "Reading Comes Alive" theme. This is really a personal choice. Why don't you contact Barry personally and ask him directly?

Barry Mitchell
Dennis Michael
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Ok, thank you, that was the exact thing I wanted to know. So it kinda doesn't have that "magical touch or feeling" but is still a great moral story.
It seems like it's mostly made for kids magic which I do a good amount but I also do all age audience stage performances too which is half of the time.
I wanted an effect that both kids and older people would enjoy. I know probably the kids would enjoy it but the rest of the older folks would just like the moral support, story, ect. of the effect since there's not too much "magic" too it.
Well, thank you very much. I'll keep in mind though, for I would like to try to think up an added rountine or part of it I could add that would actually give some "magical touch" to it.
Thanks,
Mack Magic Smile Smile Smile
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

It's not completly without magical effects. I think there is two coin drops, spring stuff, and flat stuff that appears big when taken out.
Dennis Michael
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Quote:
On 2002-09-05 17:46, DenDowhy wrote:
It's not completly without magical effects. I think there is two coin drops, spring stuff, and flat stuff that appears big when taken out.

Ok, so it does have some magical effects to it. I also heard you can produce a flash or flame from the book also. This seems like something I would really like. If I would get this, it would take me a long time to come up with the money because of the big price tag but I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks for all the help.
Sincerely,
Mack Magic Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Yes, it does have a striker in it for flash paper.

One final point. I was looking at the presentation and the creativity and enjoying the demonstration and not trying to figure out the magic and how it was done. The whole Book unit was displayed on Barry's Dealer's Table.
Dennis Michael
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Quote:
On 2002-09-09 05:50, DenDowhy wrote:
Yes, it does have a striker in it for flash paper.

One final point. I was looking at the presentation and the creativity and enjoying the demonstration and not trying to figure out the magic and how it was done. The whole Book unit was displayed on Barry's Dealer's Table.

Ok, then in my opinion it might be worth getting someday.
I was also looking at the presentation and creativity too, not trying to figure it out, I was just seeing if all the objects coming from a pretty wide book took any "magic" out of the trick or performance.
Thanks for all the help,
Mack Magic Smile
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
OH NO! A conversation between two people! This topic would ordinarily be deleted but I shall end the conversation between two and make it THREE!!!!!!

I actually like this trick. It is very nice for a kids show.

Jakks Smile
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Quote:
On 2002-09-11 16:08, Jakks wrote:
OH NO! A conversation between two people! This topic would ordinarily be deleted but I shall end the conversation between two and make it THREE!!!!!!

I actually like this trick. It is very nice for a kids show.

Jakks Smile
Haha, ok, thanks for keeping this thread up. Smile
Smile
Thanks, for your view on this effect too.

Thanks,
Mack Magic Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Mack:

3 inches isn't really that thick, if you think about it. Shouldn't be a hindrance to magic.

Steve H Smile Smile
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Quote:
On 2002-09-12 15:22, Steve Hook wrote:
Mack:

3 inches isn't really that thick, if you think about it. Shouldn't be a hindrance to magic.

Steve H Smile Smile

Yes, I guess I see what you mean. I actually might get this and give you guys a review of it soon. If I do, I will give you a review of all the ups and downs, ect. in about a week and half.
Thank you all for the help and I'll get back to you guys later on this in the future and let you know what I think about it.
Thank you all for the help,
Mack Magic

Hello, I just wanted to say I finally posted a review of this over in the good, bad, and the garbage thread.
Just my 2 cents..
Mack Magic Smile
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Was reading through some past post and I have worked with Barry on a number of conventions and he is truely a great thinker in magic.
The reading is magic is great. I have since added it to my reading show and it really plays well and as I look accross the crowd the teachers are into the story as well. It really is magical as the story comes to life.
ken
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

A recommendation from Ken Scott is a powerful recommendation, since his show is really great, his show is a tough act to improve.

I could watch Ken Scott a dozen times and not get bored!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Reading Is Magic" by Barry Mitchell (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL