The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Inside the magic box... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

excaliburp
View Profile
New user
philiPINES
10 Posts

Profile of excaliburp
Hi guys! I don't really know where to post this so I'm posting it here. (i tried doing a search too)

I'm planning on buying either a super-sharpie or the Xpert by neil torbin. (i know they're quite different,but they're both for mental magic or for mentalists)

if any of you could help with a thorough and sensible comparison I'd gladly appreciate it! (pm or on the board,any is ok)

much thanks in advance!
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
SuperSharpie is a secret writing device, XPert isn't
Xpert is a clever gimmicked pen that enables you to do some interesting stuff that SuperSharpie can't. They are in no ways similar. I would personally go for Supersharpie.

//Daniel
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
excaliburp
View Profile
New user
philiPINES
10 Posts

Profile of excaliburp
Thanks vision!

yes I know what a super sharpie is. but I heard it breaks easy...and don't you have to "refill" the gaff or smthing?

which one in your opinion ends better (or cleaner...)

I know the sharpie can be examined before and after, can the Xpert be as well?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
What effects do you wish to accomplish mr burp?
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
excaliburp
View Profile
New user
philiPINES
10 Posts

Profile of excaliburp
Maybe more on predictions and other "mentalist" stuff(but not limited to)
I heard some very postive and some bad reviews for the sharpie (but which product doesn't?)

the only thing I heard about the Xpert was it couldn't do a thing w bicycle,bee etc cards (which isn't really a problem...)

I know you can do a ton of things on both of these utility props but which one has better mileage? (for lack of a better term)
thanks!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Get Xpert! Use an ordinary NW or do PW if that's needed. Period!! Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
It depends tho sven, are the ungimmicked xperts common place in the phillpines?

I think you should prob try the ninja writer mr burp
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I've had my SuperSharpie break once. Chris Smith replaced it when my repair efforts failed.

I use the SuperSharpie AND a black ballpoint SG AND a combination pencil/blue-ballpoint SG at various times, sometimes during the same walkaround session. I just like them all.

Just the same, if you have a particular SG that works just fine for you, you may not need a SuperSharpie. For myself, I just really like the bold, black mark it leaves. To me, it subconsciously protects the effect - people have seen tiny pencil leads. No one's seen a tiny Sharpie felt tip pen.

One last thing, refilling SuperSharpies shouldn't be hard. Looked easy on the video. I wouldn't know. After months and months of moderately frequent use, I've failed even to come close to using it up. Sharpies last a long time if all you're writing are scattered words, numbers and simple shapes.

By the way, speaking of simple shapes, SG'ers might want to try this. I've been opening a short SG set with a drawing dupe. I ask the spectator to imagine drawing a simple shape or object, then I draw Banachek's "universal drawing." Once the person reveals his actual thought, *IF* I can SWIFTLY improve on the Universal Drawing, I do so. Otherwise I point out whatever similarities I can, then move onto numbers & birthdates.

It pretty much rules out more accurate design dupes (because then it'll be obvious you can only "get" the design if they draw it on something first) but it seems to help build rapport and allows a smooth increase in the "impossibility" of each successive revelation.
excaliburp
View Profile
New user
philiPINES
10 Posts

Profile of excaliburp
To looch--yes you're right they aren't very common here...hmm I'll se about the ninja writer (any idea how much it costs?)

to avocat---that's exactly my problem since if mine breaks and I have to replace it. I either have to wait maybe for a month for it to get there then maybe another 2-3 weeks to get here,or I culd pay maybe 100$ for the shipping! haha...

on to what you said. yes that's the reason why I'm considering the sharpie too! it just looks like a sharpie you can buy anywhere and the black marker ink gives a distinct impression that it's very hard to do somthing with it, compared to nail writers or other such gaffs.

does the cd that come with the sharpie gives any pointers on how to repair it if it breaks?

excellentidea on that banachek thing!

seeing as you have the sharpie do you also have the Xpert as well?
can you give your opinion on what do you think I should invest my money on? (the sharpie costs around 13$ more but it's ok as long as it's worth it...do you think it's worth it? after using it for some time?)
which one do you think has better mileage and more bang for the buck?
thanks people for the help people! haven't decided yet so please don't stop with the opinions and other helpful insights...(yes I know I'm way too indecisive! hahaha)

Oh and to avocat is it true that's it's (the sharpie) is quite noisy or is it not that big of an issue? (i think I'd rather hear from you than from a kid who used it for a day then threw it away...)
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2004-10-21 18:38, looch wrote:
It depends tho sven, are the ungimmicked xperts common place in the phillpines?

I think you should prob try the ninja writer mr burp

Looch;
I don't know, but they are definately not that in Norway.
Despite of that, has using Xpert up to this day never been a problem for me, or been questioned by anyone.

Sven
excaliburp
View Profile
New user
philiPINES
10 Posts

Profile of excaliburp
Hey anyone here know where I can get a good deal on either of 'em? (i'm having it shipped to my cousin in la so the shipping's not a problem)

the sharpie looks cheapest at penguin
they don't have the Xpert though
I tried doing a search and the results were too much! (i don't know where to begin!) haha..

oh and anyone here has a coherent,sensible take on boris pocus? (and please spare me the "that's only jay sankey dressed as an old fart!" isn't that obvious?)
I already read david acer's review on his review website...
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
For the Xpert, you should order directly by Neil Tobin (the creator of the Xpert). He is a member of the café (Necromancer) and gives good advice here.

You can get a good description of the four effects which are described in the booklet and also order the Xpert by clicking on this link.

As it has been written in many posts here, the SuperSharpie is a NW. The Xpert is not.

Actually, I bought the Xpert only by reading the descriptions of the effects and the reviews here on the café and I wasn't disappointed. With the Xpert, you'll be able to present and do other effects, like a signed coin bending effect, which is by itself worth the price of the Xpert (imho).

Sincerely, Matt
New user
philiPINES
10 Posts

Profile of excaliburp
Thanks matt!

I may get the sharpie. since I don't have a nw of my own (and I don't want to muddle it up by making one myself!) haha!!

but thanks all for your help!
can anyone here direct me to a thread where they discuss jay sankey's new dvd boris pocus? (i already did a search on the dvd thread and all they talked about was how sankey looked weird and slamming his dvd bec. it wasn't "serious" mental work)

I'm looking for someone's sensible insight on it...

thanks!
chubemsky
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of chubemsky
Boris Pocus?? The one who can read minds and cause a tornado?!? hahaha Very strong!!!
excaliburp
View Profile
New user
philiPINES
10 Posts

Profile of excaliburp
Yes...very strong,very strong....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Inside the magic box... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL