The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » learning cups and balls (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
In addition to a standard size Morrissey (sp?) Combo Set (aluminum?), we also have a heavy brass Mendoza Combo from the Jake era of RNT and the smaller Okorto set from Ireland's/Magic Inc. I like the Okorto set the best. Final loads are easier... Smile

A sidelight to the Mendoza saga concerning his excellent routining of this "new" application, at the time the concept was new: As I recall there was commentary in the community that although his routine (1st) for the Combo Cups was very good, the same effects could be achieved with skilled sleight of hand (not requiring the Combo feature).

The story went on to explain that John developed his second routine so it was "a must have" you needed the Combo feature to be able to perform the latest routine.

Any old timers out there remember if the above is accurate?

Julie
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
For newcomers to Cups and Balls, The Vernon Cups and Balls from The Vernon Book of Magic or Stars of Magic and other sources is is good for learning most of the basics.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2022, NicholasD25 wrote:
For newcomers to Cups and Balls, The Vernon Cups and Balls from The Vernon Book of Magic or Stars of Magic and other sources is is good for learning most of the basics.

The OP is looking for information specific to a Combo Set he has just purchased...

Julie
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Oops! I've just been notified that the Jake RNT Mendoza Combo set is copper. My bad Smile

J
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I am thinking that John did not think in terms of must have so to speak but created routines he enjoyed and could accomplish with a combo set.

He did tell me that he tried all kinds of cups with and without a chop over the years and had opinions for each one he tried. Size and a correct chop were things he cared about. One cup could be too large for his taste and a chop may not work as he felt it should to suit him.

He did seem to think that the ones he liked would be good for others as well. In essence, good size property working cups and chops are a suitable standard for all and not just him if you know what I mean.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The point is, you "must have" a Combo Set in order to perform the routine as outlined in his second set of instructions. He was consciously developing a routine that could not be duplicated with an ungimmicked set of cups. I believe the Combo Set came first and the routine came second (to help sell the Combo Set).

I remember discussing this with him, but it's been too long ago for me to remember details.

This is a similar situation to the trick called Lippenkito (Okito Box + Lippincott Box). The originators developed the apparatus and John worked on the handling (VHS tape instructions).

Julie
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Oh, I now understand what you mean Julie Smile

For me, a combo set is the way to go since you can use it as a straight set or a combo set as needed. Also, you can use the chop cup by itself! So, way more versatile and a better investment at least IMO.

I would love to watch the instructions for Lippenkito which I am not familiar with.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The Lippenkito was the brainchild of Douglas-Wayne Engineering. The apparatus consisted of a uniquely constructed Lippincott-type box and a scaled down (one coin capacity) Okito Box. The effect was a marked coin was placed into the Okito Box and the Okito Box then placed into the Lippincott-type box. Performers hands shown unmistakably empty, but when the Okito Box is removed from the Lippincott-type box, its lid is removed and the coin is GONE.

We've long since divested our inventory of this item. However, a few years ago I believe it was the Wayne member of Douglas-Wayne Engineering who was selling individual pieces of this modified designed Lippincott Box on e-bay. Luckily, we snatched up a couple of those. Smile

Julie
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

I find that very interesting! I somehow missed the boat on that one. Smile

Thank you for the information Julie. Much appreciated!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2022, Magical Moments wrote:
I find that very interesting! I somehow missed the boat on that one. Smile

Thank you for the information Julie. Much appreciated!

U R Welcome! Earlier I checked the Lippinkito Box for details: the gafus (as Duke used to say Smile) is the BOTTOM of the very attractive wooden box. This pivoting panel has the ability to be locked into place enabling ALL the props to be thoroughly examined (no magnetic closure). There is no provision for a padlock, just a simple metal hasp.

It is very reminiscent of the old-time wooden coin boxes as pertains to the bottom panel. The difference is the old ones did not have the locking feature. Unlike a standard Lippincott Box, the sides on these are not gimmicked at all.

Julie
martinlaw1989
View Profile
New user
London, UK
8 Posts

Profile of martinlaw1989
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2001, Robin Parker wrote:
IMHO, Michael Ammar’s set would be the best. Everything is covered thoroughly. That’s the best choice. Have fun!!

I agree!
Michael Ammar's DVD set is the best.
However, Dai Vernon's routine is my favourite.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Michael Ammar’s set is very good, Daryl's set is also very good, with both sets you would pretty much have the subject covered as far as technique.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Michael Ammar’s set is very good, Daryl's set is also very good, with both sets you would pretty much have the subject covered as far as technique. I do certanly agree.
I have both and they are wonderful but I think Daryl's set is a little bit easier to understand as a beginner and then go into Michael Ammar's video's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » learning cups and balls (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL