The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Has flash paper something like a "best before" end date?
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
I am sorry, p.at, I really don't know.
I can tell you I had flash paper for some years (2 or 3)and it has always been working well.

By the way: is it possible to make flash paper (or flash cotton..) by themselves? (I hope the English is correct and you understand the question.)
Thanks
/Andrea
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
It is, but you will need about $8000 in start up equipment including facilities for handling two very deadly acids, and a way to control disposal of the acids when you are through. Further, the ingredients themselves are deadly to humans and the environment...
I have the recipe if you want it. BTW, the homemade version is unstable.
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
Quote:
On 2004-10-26 14:36, sanscan wrote:
It is, but you will need about $8000 in start up equipment including facilities for handling two very deadly acids, and a way to control disposal of the acids when you are through. Further, the ingredients themselves are deadly to humans and the environment...
I have the recipe if you want it. BTW, the homemade version is unstable.
Slim Price

Thanks but I am not interested anymore.
It sounds too dangerous.
What about the final product then (flash paper, flash cotton)? Are we sure it is not dangerous? Should I keep it in a special place?
I'm starting to have some doubts..
/Andrea
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Flash paper, when used correctly, is an asset. In small, reasonable quantities it can enhance the work. Today's flash paper in not washed well enough in manufacture, so it degrades in time. Be aware, there are two types; one made of bond paper which is thicker, and a little slower, the other kind is tissue paper, more like cigarette paper, with a much faster burn-rate. In my opinion, if you need it for a crutch in performing, and use a lot of it, you need to look at your performance. Flash paper will burn you if it's the least bit confined and can lead to collateral disasters. Be careful or get very high fees, for damage caused, and to share with the doctors at the burn unit.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Flash paper is like a fine wine, the longer it sits, the better it tastes. Oh! I mean burns.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Flash paper is usually shipped wet.

Upon arrival it should be dried in open air. If you don't dry it, it will deteriorate and turn brownish and brittle.

When it's dry, it is a very dangerous item. I have some customers who got their silks burned because it was near their flash papers. A small amount of ash went into his stuff.

Wonder why there seems to be no flash paper produced from Japan?
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
A very important part of the making of flash paper is washing and drying. This means washing out ALL the acid content inside the fibers of the cellulose used. With today's methods, less stringent washing is done, making it necessary to ship it wet. All too soon, the residual acids left in the paper cause it to deteriorate. Back when I was still around <G> paper was shipped dry and lasted years. So much for progress! In the late 60s, it was shipped in paper stationary bags, with no problem. The bond type, used mostly by bookies, came trimmed to 8x10 sheets to make it look "normal" and the excess trimmings (2x11 inches) were put in the same bag... That was my supply! <G>
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Thanks for your input...
AAAAA
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of AAAAA
I heard a story where someone tried to dry flash paper in a microwave and another tried to iron it dry. POOF! Age never entered into it for me. Humidity, yes. Can you say slow burn? I now keep it in a ziplock bag.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
There was a tip to place it in a metal canister.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 11:40, rmoraleta wrote:

I prefer the dry flash paper to be in a paper envelope in a ziplock bag. My reason is this; the paper envelope will show signs should the quality of the contents degrade (yellowing, becoming brittle, etc.), the ziplock keeps moisture out. A metal container is likely to permit atmospheric moisture to be absorbed by the paper resulting in corrosion of the container and possible degradation of the paper.

This method has served me well for the last 35 years.
tracks318
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of tracks318
Hi, I am trying to find out if flash paper can be painted (preferably waterpaints)? Will the dye affect the flash papers reactivity? I know that to glue pieces together you have to use a special glue. Thank you in advance.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Water colors will not have an adverse affect provided you permit the paper to dry completely.

Bill
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
You can dip the paper in food coloring as well
mfreno
View Profile
New user
Dexter, Michigan
72 Posts

Profile of mfreno
You can also use permanent markers and color it brightly for a better look. It doesn't change the burn-rate.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2006-01-26 19:20, kevinuncanny wrote:
You can dip the paper in food coloring as well

Food coloring is a form of water color.

Bill
illusioncraft
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of illusioncraft
I have been making flash products for over 7 years now, supplying many dealers and magicians all over the world. When sending the products in the UK they are always sent dry and packed in envelopes, but when sent overseas I will send them wet. My products are washed for 24 hours, then I dry them, by ironing every sheet dry, I have only ever had 3 sheets go up on me.
tracks318
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of tracks318
I would like to thank all who replied to my question. It has helped me immensely.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 11:40, rmoraleta wrote:

Old quote, but since this thread has been resurrected-
Don't store flash paper or flash cotton in a metal canister. Flash cotton used to be stored in metal strong boxes, until an accidental spark ignited a supply of it. As was mentioned earlier upthread, it's dangerous when compressed- flaming material needs room to expand as it burns/explodes. Flash cotton, if compressed in a sealed box, can destroy the box if it ignites, sending metal fragments everywhere at terminal velocities.

I've heard that old 35mm film canisters are a good storage place for flash paper/flash cotton. There's no chance they'll spark when you open/close them, they're watertight, and they'll pop open fairly easily to deal with accidental expansion. I'd try small tupperware containers these days, since digital cameras now seem to be the standard. (Just don't store too much in a single container!)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash paper (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL