The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is the BEST chop cup routine? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
The Larry Jennings chop cup routine is also on the World's Greatest Magic - Chop Cups dvd/downloads.

My favorite routine to watch is Don Alan's performance here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxXuRhvxUA

The look of joy and astonishment from the observer is fun to watch. That's what we should all strive to achieve.

mG
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
Magic routines employing a container and small object were popular and astonishing long before AL Wheatley made the sleights simpler with a magnet.
With this simplicity, however, there seems to have also come a stagnation of creativity with many just wanting to copy a known routine.

Then the idea of a weird final load crept in with challenge of concealing lemons in one's shorts.

Perhaps what one should "strive to achieve" is something less repetitive and boring that risks revealing method.
Yes, study the artistry and skills of polished performers - then move on to "best" for yourself and your audience of the moment.

My current favorite "one cup" routine is using a found coffee mug and a coffee creamer(s) for astonishment and joy.
No gimmicks or repeated moves - even sequences in the spectator's hands.

No video - just putting your imagination to work.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16968 Posts

Profile of joseph
I perform the version Doug Henning did on his tv
special...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of David French
Doug Henning did the Larry Jennings routine.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6700 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Has anyone here seen Just A Cup by Axel Hecklau? This is the BEST I have seen! It's one of the best tricks I have!

https://www.axelhecklau-shop.com/lng/en/......guage=en

Doug
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The best chop cup routine is the one that YOU master.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2975 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Yeah, well, I'm going to try to master the Paul Daniels routine.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The hardest part of Paul Daniel's routine to master is his personality. I have one of the chop cups he used on a television broadcast. I got it from John Fisher.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
124 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
My vote goes for Nathan Coe Marsh’s chop cup routine revealed in his Penguin Act lecture. Nicely flowing phases and without the overt spectator “gotcha” element that weakens so much of earlier chop cup routines.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The impact of any part of ANY magic routine depends entirely upon the ability of the performer to convey a sense of "magic" to the audience. Sometimes a spectator "gotcha" is appropriate, but it shouldn't be overdone.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2085 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
There are 3 routines I really like that I've seen.

1. Don Alan
2. Larry Jennings
3. Richard Mendez In Your Face routine

There are many good routines out there, you can watch YouTube for hours on end. But the best routine you can do is your own.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
TheGladsomeBeast
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of TheGladsomeBeast
My favorite will always be Paul Daniels routine 😊, first that I saw and even after all the routines I have seen since this in my opinion stills stands above the rest. RIP
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2019, Dougini wrote:
Has anyone here seen Just A Cup by Axel Hecklau? This is the BEST I have seen! It's one of the best tricks I have!

https://www.axelhecklau-shop.com/lng/en/......guage=en

Doug

I second Doug's post. Hecklau's cup certainly has the most possibilities as you can show the cup empty, there's no hard setting down the cup, and you have so much control over when and if you want the ball(dice) to disappear or re-appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMDiZICYa8

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is the BEST chop cup routine? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL