The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hurts for the Magic Art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
J0HANNES
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of J0HANNES
I love magic I love it verry much BUT I saw Masked magician and now I saw another big bad surprise I heard and I saw TIMUR ABDULOV' exposure of David Copperfield illusions....in fact the illusion aren't his illusion and if Timur wants to hurt David he will hurt all magic.
We will watch TV in the very near future at how someone could fly like David or how could is possible to do magic like David.
So the magic will be expose and you will not be interested to buy some big illusions like Copperfield. In fact you will not want to have something exposed.
People will know a lot of things and where will we go with our magic?
I perform elevator for ex. and I rise 3..4 inches and some peoples tell me about how high rise Blaine and I know about Blaine's levi for TV I can't tell something because I know to keep the secrets.
BUT some magicians like Abdulov are up set to tell all about Copperfield's camera tricks .
I think that he is jealous on David success and because he can't do something spectacular in magic, he exposes effects for MONEY on TV and free for the net.
HEY brothers whats happened with the the magic art?
When will perform magic and the spectators will laught because will know about you trick?
I know you will tell me that are many tricks but that's isn't an answer.
I don't have money like David or like Blaine, but I know to keep secrets.
The magic will lose again and again.

Johannes
All my respect
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You don't always need a illusion like the high priced professionals sometimes a card trick or a rope trick might be better remembered. when DC did the wall thru China thing. They had/got more of a response to the rubber band trick he did, than walking thru the wall.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I saw Copperfield several weeks ago do great show In Portland Oregon. I know how every one of his effects are done. Studying magic for many many years really spoils the "How did he do that" but I must say. I REALLY enjoyed the show. Knowing the secrets did not spoil it for me. The show was very well done and some of his acts included several well known comercial tircks that ANYONE can buy. I think some magicians feel unless they totally fool the pants off their audience, they feel cheated (because of exposure).

I enjoy going to the movies. I "know" it's not real but I enjoy it anyway.

My son loves professional wrestling (I don't)..he knows it's fake but enjoys it none the less.

Stop beating yourself up for something you cannot control. Get over it and move on. Put that energy into a killer act. I don't expose magic and feel strongly about those that do. Can I stop it? No! Accept the things you cannot control. The one thing you can control about others exposure to magic is how you react to it. Do you expect your audience to believe you really have magical powers? They all know it's a trick somehow, and most can explain how you do, what you do, and believe what they think, even though they are wrong. Don't let the people that expose ruin what you love. You are an entertainer. Now go knock your audiences socks off and give them something to talk about days after they see you.

Good Luck!
newman1066
View Profile
New user
North Carolina, New York, Vermont,
53 Posts

Profile of newman1066
"My son loves professional wrestling (I don't)..he knows it's fake but enjoys it none the less."

Are you saying that professional wrestling is ...*fake*?
Another of life's illusions winds up in the ever increasing scrapheap of reality.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Wow wrestling is fake? I am 32 years old and have followed it since I was a child...Of course I am kidding as we all know its fake, but keep in mind it may be fake but comes down to one the Entertainment value. Same thing with our art. I still do tons of things that have been exposed but if you do them well and entertaining it really wont matter

tpdmagic
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Do you know how to make an old lady cuss?

ANSWER: Have another old lady yell BINGO!!

I believe we all agree on the above. There is some danger to pro wrestling. Some even get hurt, seriously. Even actors get hurt sometimes.

G-59
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Remember: Magic is an art... its not a method. A great performer (such as Copperfield) goes above trying to fool his audience with a "puzzle-like prop".. It is the emotion, music, and storys that make Copperfields illusions so remarkable... If someone reveals a trick... oh well, look at the TT... it still fools people!
Magically,
Bryan
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I think my all-time favorite, as far as the audience knowing how it's done but still enjoying it, was Yoda in the original Star Wars movies. The thing was a puppet (operated by some of the Muppet Show folks, no less!), but, with the beatiful handling and the storyline, it became "real." The same puppet, operated by someone else, would have fallen flat.

Nowadays we have the Harry Potter movies, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., and similar stuff. People enjoy them (want proof? look at the box-office and rental figures!) even though they know they're not "real."

I agree that exposures hurt magic, but, unless we can get J.K. Rowling to come up with a spell to stop them ("Exposendo clamuppus"), I think we need to just go on and prove to our audiences that magic is more, and better, than the mechanical exposures.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
J0HANNES
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of J0HANNES
You have right but the secret is very important.The peoples come to a magic show to see miracles and often question is How could be done that?
I saw a lot of ppl which know something and tell others...It is a stupid easy thing the girl is hidde into that....ex...and the other: oh how couldn't think at that... it is not so big deal.we magicians and maybe some others will say that wow this magician is a good actor.
How to go at a magic show and to look at a known illusion?
Don't foll yourself don't hide in back of some arguments because expose is not good.
Hey SteelLuvMagic thank you for your kind words I see your pic with David ...nice...Ask David how feel about Abdulov's exposed or try to buy Origami after a big exposed at tv.You will not buy it but if you already have it how you will feel?
Thank you all and sorry for my english
Best Regards
Johannes
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I don't think anyone here would disagree with you. Exposure is bad, no doubt! Is it the end of ALL magic? This magician doesn't think so. Even without direct exposure, I have come across intelligent people who feel they "figured out" how one of my effects is done. They were wrong! I was working with a Mental Photography deck and my spec figured it out. I'm doing a deck switch! It was clear in his mind. Although he couldn't figure out how I switched the decks, he knew that showing a regular deck, then showing a blank deck just HAD TO BE a deck switch. My point is, don't worry about it. I have had people that saw The masked magician shows on FOX (I cuss that name), and have no idea how I did something even though the principle may be something they saw on that show.

Exposure is NOT good, EVER, but it's also not the end of the world or the magic we all love.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Well said, muzicman.

As I've said before, I agree that exposures hurt magic. However, it's been going on for a long time and magic is still there, probably more popular today than it's been since the, what, twenties and thirties?

I have an old copy of the Sphinx, dated 1951 or '52, in which David Bamberg is lamenting the constant exposures. One quote in particular stands out in my mind: "Now, with every box of Munchy Crunchy Relax Snax you get a levitation thrown in free." This was fifty years ago.

I'll probably get crucified for saying this (anyone know a good spike-thru-the-hand effect?), but one of the things that bothers me about all the hoopla we have made in public about exposures is that it makes us look like we agree that magic is only about the secrets. In other words, "I know and you don't." In other words, "I know more than you." In other words, "We're different, we're a special class." In other words, "I can fool you, ha ha."

Yes I'd like to see exposures end forever. And I've done what I can over the years to make people realize that "How he did it" is not as important as "Did you enjoy watching him?" A lot of us (me included) first became interested in magic as kids, when we found out we could fool people by doing tricks. I like to think that most of us nowadays have gotten beyond that idea and think of magic as an entertainment medium. I believe we need to make it clear to lay people that magic is not just about the secrets -- it's about entertainment.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
I came across Abdulov's site by accident tonight and was stunned by the scope of exposure that is there. This guy is OBSESSED with exposing Copperfield's work. The site is filled with diagrams, computer animations, video clips and even Gaughan's patent diagrams for Flying!!

It looks to me like he is motivated by pure jealousy. Pity.

If he had worked only half as hard at building his own show as he has on building this exposure site - what a contribution he could have made to our art.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Also remember your audience consists of many different personalities. Some poeple just don't like magic. I've met a few and one told me it's because they can't figure it out and it makes them feel inferior. They choose not to participate or enjoy the entertainment side. BTW, I showed her CardToon like it was an experiement and after she picked her mouth off the floor she hit me!

There are others that are so awed they applaud every effect.

Others seem possessed and convinced they can steal the show. They heckle, expose, they are loud and they talk ALOT! I think some of these people have really bad esteem issues.

Wound up kids can really be a challenge, But I love em...

I think exposure is bad, but there are MUCH greater obstacles into creating a well crafted performance. I would just assume putting my energy toward that, than worry what someone else is doing/saying/showing. My audiences have never met me or seen me perform. If they have, then they already know they are in for a greater treat than a trick. For one without the other is far worse than exposure ever has been to our art.
magicfest
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of magicfest
Exactly, Musicman. The magic is just the means to entertain. Give them a real show and they wont care about the methods. They will be too entertained to even have time to care.
lboudreau
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, Virginia
288 Posts

Profile of lboudreau
Great thread!! Magic continues to grow in spite of the Abdulov's and masked magicians of the world. Exposure, as undesirable as it is, hasn't hurt the art. Magic is bigger and more vibrant than ever, and a new generation is entering in a big way, spurred by websites like this one, great internet magic shoppes, Vegas-style magic shows, charismatic young magicians and the popularity of books like Harry Potter. Exposure shouldn't be condoned but I don't think it will hurt magic.
LEO
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Abdulov web site is not as big a problem as you might think. It is not going to be accessed by anyone except people from Eastern Europe. Even then, his explanations are not always dead on. And for those who believe that the explanations are correct, when David does the illusions, some of them are still fooled.

I'll never forget watching Siegfried and Roy live, the first time I ever saw them at the Frontier in Las Vegas. The levitation of Roy and the tiger on that big mirror ball blew me away! I knew it was impossible. And even after I found out how it worked, I still loved it! It was still impossible.

So, just about the time you think you know how all of it works, you may be wrong.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
Hi Bill Palmer,,,,,,u r mistaken,,,,,,,,,,,the Abdulov site can also be viewed from my place[i am in Malaysia, near Singapore].........it is really bad what that guy is doing and I don't see any purpose of him doing it apart from sheer animosity wth DC and probably wth the rest of us,.magicians...

though I believe no one or nothing could ever possibily kill magic and illusion nevertheless this exposure thing sure going to make our life more difficult......

what r we to do?????????
J0HANNES
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of J0HANNES
Ok maybe Abdulov do not represent a big problem for magic art and same about Masked magician and same many other magician and reveal sites and TV programs and books ... in future Abdulov's book.
I know it is true about some peoples which looks at some secrets and in imediately moment you can show some magic with same secret method and they don't understand how could be done.
I know that are a lot of illusion but don't forget that the methods aren't so many for ex vanishing persons in thickness of some tables.
Copperfield use verry offten this method.Masked magician exposed this secret and Abdulov too.
We will use this method but after a time the ppls will think at that.
We are in 2004 and this world is verry crazy ....just money are on first place.
What is doing Jim about his invention about interlude about origami etc.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Well one things is you need to be able to read russian for his site. Cause I can't... yes the pictures explain things...which is just purly sad in my opionon. This is a shame and looks as if there is nothing we can do about it. or we could.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Michael,

Actually, there's a link to the English version at the bottom of the home page. Doubly sad.
www.georgefledo.net

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hurts for the Magic Art (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL