We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sound System, Needed or Not? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Does a street preformer need a sound system? Is it important. On Cellini's video some of them have one some of them don't.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well, this is talked about at lenght on the art of part 3....get the picture. Smile

Buy the dvd's.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Depends on the pitch. I wouldn't do it without my sound system at my pitch because it's so noisy. But I can if I need to. I didn't have one when I started and I have had it go out and kept working.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have never yet used a sound system, as I can boom my voice for extended periods of time. And the only time I was not able to get over the music playing behind me, I went to a mime act that worked pretty well.

But this really has been discussed at great length here, and you can find more information on it, by using the search engine.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Jim,

What is your sound system?

What kind of mic do you use?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
If you do use a sound system, get a REALLY good one and remember:

a) a handsfree radio mike (either headset or handheld with a neck holder...lapels are usually crap

b) make it battery powered. Few pitches have power access.

c) Don't be so loud as to ruin the atomsphere of the venue. You don't want to alienate other performers, businesses or members of the public who don't want to watch your show

d) If you can't afford to spend the money....don't 'make do' with a dodgy one. It sounds terrible and makes you look bad.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Get Cellini's art Of street performing volume 3 for some fantastic information on this subject.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Frank,
I love my sound system. It's a MinPro. It's small and is only 7.5 pounds, it's wireless and has a built-in receiver so the whole thing is a two piece affair; don't need a seperate reciever with little antenna's to adjust. I got mine with a label mic. You can get various mics with it. It has 25 or 30 amps. I can easily be heard by a couple hundred.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Thank you Chris for pointing that out....

Sound systems rock!!!...on the right pitch. I take a system to all festivals....but I'm not taking the system to New Orleans this year....the store owners don't like it at all....they get ****ed!...it affects the bussiness and I don't want to **** off my neighbors...some great info on art of 3 on this subject...just a thought...hey, has anyone bought any of these dvd's?
koz
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Koz,
I use my system at a pitch that is supposed to be unamped. I cleared this with the person in charge first. I told her I would set it so low that no one would even know my voice was amplified. But just enough to have presence. I told her my amped voice wouldn't be any louder than my un-amplified voice, but that by using the amp I wouldn't have to "shout" to be heard. (I wouldn't shout, but I certainly wouldn't be heard as well.) She went for it and aftewards told me she couldn't tell I was even using the amp.

Jim
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I agree 100 percent James. You sound like you are really getting this thing together. Good for you.

Yea well, they hate them in New Orleans and the police don't like them either so I will pass, at least this trip on the system. Besides, I have a really big mouth.
koz
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-10-27 10:36, tedb wrote:
...besides, I have a really big mouth
koz

Amen to that, brother. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you do use a sound system, it's a good idea to use it at a lower volume than you would think necessary. Then raise the pitch of your voice just a bit. This way, you still have the "excitement" in your voice that an unamplified voice has.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sound System, Needed or Not? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL