The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..26~27~28 [Next]
priyanshu
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of priyanshu
I am a beginner interested in card magic.
Is it good to start with Paul Harris' "The art of astonishment"?

Thanks
Paragon
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Paragon
Hi there priyanshu,

no it is not good to start with The art of astonishment, but great to continue with ( when you are advanced ).
Caz
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Caz
I've been reading Banacheck's book about mentalism
and of course I've been recommended Corinda's 13 steps.
Any other suggestions around mentalism for a newbie?
portpopo
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of portpopo
Caz- I would suggest TA Waters Mind, Myth, and Magick. Great stuff, lots of different material.
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
I would not recommend one, but three that belong to a series. Tarbell course in magic volume four, five and six. Here one can find plenty of mentalism effects.
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
secti
View Profile
New user
Houston
1 Post

Profile of secti
Great suggestions, everyone!

I would re-submit Mark Wilson's complete course in magic; was my first book (got a hardcover copy) & I wore it out.
Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams. ~ M.E. Kelly
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
I echo Wilson and Hay's books, and see finally in page 14 of the thread mention of "Magic, The Complete Course" by Joshua Jay. Great book, and it comes with a DVD! What is special about this book is it updates magic to the 21st century. He goes into detail about psychology such as what he calls "direction" instead of misdirection, and explains that top hats and sponge balls were cool when they were in fashion, but Magic should be updated to be more relevant today. Most of the tricks can be done with everyday objects. This is a beginners book that teaches professional quality technique and effects.
Tenacitiz
View Profile
New user
A pathetic total of
71 Posts

Profile of Tenacitiz
It's nice to know I'm not the only one obsessed with expanding my magic library. Tarbell, Mark Wilson, modern coin magic, card college. All fantastic places to start in fact I'd have a hard time deciding what to grab if the house was burning down!
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Quote:
On 2013-08-08 17:10, Tenacitiz wrote:
It's nice to know I'm not the only one obsessed with expanding my magic library.

It would be interesting to tally up the cost of our libraries. Things like the Card College series are not cheap. Then again, let's not, I can't have my wife find out that she could have gone on a two week cruise Smile
Premier Magic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Premier Magic
Every now and then you can pick up used copies of great books for really cheap on amazon used. Just an example I got 13 steps a few months ago for less than shipping cost me ($3.95) not that's its an expensive book but still 75%n off is great. So check there if your cash strapped like me.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I may have mentioned this one before, but it won't hurt to do so again. Magic Digest by George Anderson is a great book if you can find a copy. Unfortunately, it is out of print and has been for many years.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Not sure if John Scarne's book on card tricks has been mentioned but it was a great first book for me.
It's in paperback
Mike the Magician
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
For mentalism - Corinda and Annemann are great books and easily available. I have found it is difficult to get a hold of T.A Water's at the moment.

I would also highly recommend anything from Richard Osterlind - 'Easy to master mental miracles' DVDS.

Hope this is helpful.

For card magic - I started out with The Royal Road.
There is no holy grail!
pkessler
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of pkessler
I've seen posts about the Seven Basic Secrets of Illusion Design by Duzer in other forums, but it merits posting here, as well. The Duzer book is a great touchstone for thinking about the workings of illusions. It does not contain plans, per se, but page for page is full of amazingly useful concepts. I'm a novice but it has been a wonderful source book the last few months.
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
What about You Tube Video's, which ones would you recommend?
TyTheMagician
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TyTheMagician
None. Almost every YT teacher is an amateur. Some of them aren't even good enough at the tricks to be performing them, let alone teaching sleight of hand. Many marketed effects are also revealed on YouTube. This is bad. You don't want to support those that reveal effects that aren't there own. Books will teach you sleight of hand, misdirection, and patter. They'll make you a magician. YouTube will teach you to poorly perform a few card tricks. It'll make you a mere trickster who presents puzzles.

-Ty
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
Generally, for beginners, I'd make several recommendations:
1. Go with qualified works (rather than some YouTuber). The best and most experienced magicians in the world seem to stand by the classics. They're time-tested and proven.
2. Master self-working material first. It's classic divide-and-conquer: develop performance capability and confidence (with an audience), then develop the ability to execute sleights in the presence of an audience.
3. Work through each source completely and in order before moving to a next source.
4. Learn from books before videos. It's been my experience that books develop focus, discipline, and creativity. Books force readers to understand and adapt content rather than emulate instructors.
5. Work with an experienced coach. There's nothing like interactive learning.
6. Persist through challenges.

For a classic introduction to card magic (books):
- The Royal Road to Card Magic (Hugard and Braue)
- Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (Hugard)
- Scarne on Card Tricks (Scarne)
- Close-Up Card Magic (Lorayne)
- Our Magic (Maskelyne and Devant)

For a more modern introduction to card magic:
- Card College, Vols. 1-5 (Giobbi) [Book]
- Card College, Light, Lighter, and Lighest (Giobbi) [Book]
- Card College, Vols. 1 and 2 (Giobbi) [DVD]
- The Royal Road to Card Magic (Wilson) [DVD]
- The Five Points of Magic (Tamariz) [Book]

Andrew
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
56 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
Oh, incase once hasn't tried, check out (in the United States) half price books.. I notice the quantity has been dwindling lately, but I've collect over 50 different books..
cheers,
don

Smile
lopike
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of lopike
Mark Wilson - complete course in magic
Joshua jay - complete course in magic
Jean hugard - royal road to card magic
Stace1701
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
1 Post

Profile of Stace1701
Just got my copy of The Royal Road To Card Magic and let me tell you its GREAT!!!!! Can't say enuf I'm back into magic at 40 and learning what in the book is like finding a treasure chest. If you want to lean to be a great card Magician get the book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL