The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Browser beats Explorer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Check out this new browser...

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

There are great features:

Installs very quickly.

Seems to load web pages faster than explorer.

Seems to initialize faster than expolorer.

This is my favorite (so far)...
If you have a folder of bookmarks, you can click on "open in tabs" and it will open all the bookmarks in a separate tab. Jut one click.

It brings over ALL your history/passowrds/cookies/favorites from Explorer so you are up and working immediately.

No popups. No spyware. Ahhh...

Not a microsoft product. Ahhh....

Renders pages very close to explorer. Beautiful.

Is RSS enabled. You'll have to reasearch this yourself. I need to look into it more myself but basically you end up with "live bookmarks" that let you know when the page updates so you don't have to revisit pages unless they change???? something like that. I'm looking into it. You can subscribe to an RSS enabled webpage and get notified when changes occur? I think that's how it works.

If you find other great features or know more about RSS , please let me know.

Posted: Oct 24, 2004 3:25pm
---------------------------------------------
Here's some verbaige about RSS...

You can now subscribe to and read RSS feeds in your Bookmarks. When you visit a page that advertises a RSS feed by using a <link> tag, a RSS icon will appear in the status bar. Click it to view a list of feeds the page is offering. Click one to subscribe - this adds a Bookmark Folder that contains all the recent posts from the feed.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Firefox ROCKS. I've been using it almost exclusively for several months. Another interesting product is SmartBar.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have had Mozilla downloaded for quite some time now. I normally use AOL (and their handling of IE), but I also use IE from MSN, and Mozilla.

During those times when one browser gets a cramp, it's always nice to have a way to access things I want to. I also use it when writing my webpages, as a design checker. It helps to know how different browsers will display a page.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
Firefox is impressive, but I began to have lock ups with it. Also problems with plug ins like quicktime and media player not working. I ended up abandoning it within a couple weeks.

I opted to go back to a browser I'm basically thrilled with, SlimBrowser

Check out all the bells and whistles on that baby. It uses the explorer engine, but for whatever reason doesn't crash while explorer often does. The main reason I switched back to this one though is the auto-login feature. Very nice indeed. Maybe not so safe but I also eat red meat.

Not to put down Firefox at all, for the most part I was pleased with it. Problems could have been my system.

Dr Magic

:carrot: Smile
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Interestingly enough, FireFox reads HTML tags that Internet Explorer just can't seem to handle. A number of pages that I've designed come up "not exactly the way I built 'em" in IE, but "absolutely perfect" in FireFox. That, of course, does me no good at all as a webmaster since 99.9% of the folks who visit the page will be using IE and I always have to go back and tailor the page to the lowest common denominator. Why can't Microsoft look outside and see what the rest of the world is doing?
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2004-10-24 16:48, CamelotFX wrote:
A number of pages that I've designed come up "not exactly the way I built 'em" in IE, but "absolutely perfect" in FireFox. That, of course, does me no good at all as a webmaster since 99.9% of the folks who visit the page will be using IE and I always have to go back and tailor the page to the lowest common denominator.

I had the exact opposite problem and realized that if the code was clean, both would display properly. I cleaned up my Framesets and embedded tables a bit and all is well.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Browser beats Explorer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL