The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The one that talks to the dead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
They are killing him on the other board.

After he is dead... what can you learn from his presentation? Showmanship?

Contact with live people? Contact with TV people.

How can you use what he did for your own show? (for good...)

This question is not about ethics and is not against or for that person.

Lior Manor
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Which one?

Yaniv Deautsch
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
Edwards??
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I watch him as much as I can.
I've picked up some good pointers on presentation from watching him. I enjoy watching him actually. He connects with his audience like no other person/performer I've seen since Blackstone.

E-Leoni.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Firstly Leoni you are doing the 'right thing' in my book... watch the "real" psychics as much as you can... people like JE and Sylvia Brown show us how to do our jobs better than most any magic based source will. However, those like certain ladies that think they're Dr. Doolittle teach us how NOT to do our jobs... (then again, she's working and has a weekly series... she did something right.)

Secondly, which board is attempting to tar & feather poor John?
Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
I agree completely with Darmoe.

Don't listen to magicians if you want to know what works, watch those who are successfully performing psychic entertainment.

One thing I love about John Edward is how he punches his hits, even when the spectators in his audience seem perplexed by the information. "No," he'll say, "I'm definitely getting the name Bob or Bobby. Who's the pizza delivery guy?"

The audience members freeze up with astonishment. "Oh, BOBBY... yeah, he was Steve's best friend, and he delivered pizzas!"

Show me a living mentalist who is as good as Edward and I'll show you someone who can be guaranteed success.

Ethics aside, any psychic entertainer can learn a lot from watching Edward. Also, as he's the psychic darling of the moment, it pays to be familiar with his style and presentation -- not in order to imitate him, but to understand what the public thinks is the way a psychic operates.

It's a superbly polished act. His books are useful reading, too.
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
What are your favorite lines?
your favorite way outs he use

and talking about ethics
can we copy what he does??
like we do with Geller and the spoons??
I think yes, because they claim they do it for real
and we finf another way to do it.

Lior
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
I've never seen Edwards (is it Edward or Edwards?). As far as I'm aware, he isn't broadcast here in the UK. However, I've been to a few spiritualist meetings in my time and, from the descriptions of Edwards, it sounds as though he's pretty much in the 'traditional style'.

What is it that really sets him apart from the competition?

best wishes
Huw
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I don't think copying "lines" as much as
getting how he connects with the audience.As I stated in my original post his connections with his audience remind me of how Blackstone use to perform. Thats the main thing I get from J.Edward. His "sincerity" approach. I don't think you can copy sincerity, you can just try and find your way of being sincere, and connecting with your audience. You can not copy that.

side note: I don't think I've seen anyone perform like Geller. JUst because one does spoons, it doesn't mean they are copying Geller. Personaly I never enjoyed watching GEller perform. His frantic/nervous antic were an obvious indication for misdirections.
I'm glad he's out of the scene. Anyone imitating him will find themselfs ridicule. There can only be one Geller. I've never seen anyone trying to imitate him.

I've seen better spoon bending from Randi.
Thats were I learned my spoon bending from.
I think Banachek does better performing spoon bending than Geller ever can imagine.
Just my oppinion.

As far as J. Edwards outs, you can find those techniques in a booklet about outs.

E-Leoni.
TheQuestion
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Profile of TheQuestion
Huw,

John Edward is shown on weeknights on Living TV in the UK (cable/satellite channel).

Andrew
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
Quote:
What is it that really sets him apart from the competition?

As E-Leoni notes, it's his sincerity (or apparent sincerity, if you think he's a fraud) which sets him apart. He's a charming performer, and has a superb way of gaining rapport with his in-studio audience. He's friendly but intense, and he has been using more and more humor as the show progresses.

And his hits are remarkable. He will chase something even when the subject is denying any connection, often resulting in a stunner of a hit that seems to rule out traditional cold/hot reading. Very specific details. These seemingly impossible hits are what makes many conclude he's the "real deal."

Of course, at other times he stumbles. But the freely admits he is sometimes wrong or his impressions are unclear.

A fascinating show, and as I already iterated, it is required viewing for psychic entertainers. I feel like an Edward apologist since I frequently defend him on magic forums. I respect the opinions of those who can't stand him, but I think he's helping us *all* with his success, and it's wise to watch what captivates the public.

And several other mediums have shows already on-air on in the works. But I think Edward's act is so well-polished that he'll continue to be successful, and the others will probably fade out quickly.

At least that's my prediction.
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
Quote:
and talking about ethics
can we copy what he does??

Pandora's Box opens again..!

Personally, I think the only people who can ethically copy what he does are those who believe they really have the "gift" and who don't use trickery.
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
I maent copy in the Humor sence
LOL
it is very funny in Hebrew

In my blindfold routine I describe
a lot of things about the owner of one of the items. I say many many things and get many hits
there is a secreat to do it well

Lior
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2002-08-27 15:00, Darmoe wrote:

Smile

Craig:

I think the tarring forum you asked Lior about is Genii, the same one you have been embroiled at (and, I might add, making extraordinary claims!) since 8/22.

See:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......00045;p=

What in the Sam Hill is going on there??? Smile

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-08-30 13:34, Steve Hook wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-08-27 15:00, Darmoe wrote:

Smile

Craig:

I think the tarring forum you asked Lior about is Genii, the same one you have been embroiled at (and, I might add, making extraordinary claims!) since 8/22.

See:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......00045;p=

What in the Sam Hill is going on there??? Smile

Steve H

It's funny how many people keep putting words into my mouth... I haven't made one cliam and yet a half-dozen or so "magicians" that are "expert observers" that dispise anyone and anything that might smack of support to things paranormal, have put words into my mouth saying that I claim to have supernatural powers.

Perhaps some day those accussing me of such will actually read what I say and the fact that on that thread alone I've stated rather clearing at least five or six times now, that I've never made such a claim.

I'm beginning to see why skeptics "see so much" others don't... they invent their excuses via double-talk and twisting truths. Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1235 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I didn’t come up with this myself, it’s an observation of Marc Salem’s : There is nothing in his act that couldn’t, under the right circumstances and in the right location with the right participant, actually be achieved. Think about it. If it could be done using “straight” methods, then why act? We are merely “helping” the effect along There is no need to “act” the part. You are actually DOING it – with a little help.

Methinks that this is exactly what some of the more successful mediums are doing.

How you perceive what you are saying and what you are doing is recognised by the audience, and a performer who is thinking: “Hey! I’m fooling them!” perhaps isn’t convincing the audience as much as he thinks he is.

I’ve seen several really crummy Tarot readers who, because they have a belief in what they are doing, come over as being more genuine and with more authenticity than many a mentalist has managed to muster.

Rather than act – be... Just watch you don’t fall into the trap of deluding yourself!
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
You are very much correct in what you're saying here... I've watched numerous magicians get leveled by shut-eye clients, who realize the jerk doing the Reading thinks they're a fool and a little psycho-babble is all that's needed.

The limited sense of willingness by some within out craft, to step "outside the box" amazes me. Then again, I've been staggered far too many times, seeing very crappy Readers whose pumping and feed back technique is so poor a blindman could see it... yet, they get national Tv endorsements, their own shows and more!

I'm not the last word on this issue... I'm good at what I do, I've blown magicians out of the water when doing Readings for them (simply send $25.00 + an SASE to... Smile But I've learned over the years that the quickest way to destroy yourself is to become too cocky with your results -- happy, regular clients that praise you. IN other words, I can't afford to let my own press to go to my head... that's when I start to "think" about what's being said, vs. following my heart and what I feel I'm supposed to say.

Anyhow... hope that makes sense. Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3011 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
[quote]On 2002-08-27 13:32, liormanor wrote:
They are killing him on the other board.

After he is dead... what can you learn from his presentation? showmanship? contact with live people? contact with TV people? how can you use what he did for your own show (for good...)

After he is dead, you can talk to his spirit in front of a live, studio audience.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The one that talks to the dead (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL