The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Cups and Balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Jim,

I perform with the Mike Rogers baseballs, and so they have a little more weight. I only perform outside a few times a year, and so I guess the hazardous nature of wind only seems to apply to playing cards (I will even use Walking Liberties to weigh them down for an ace assembly).

The Vernon/Mora vanish for me is a real moment, as I will use a visually similar wand spin to produce the second ball. When they are reacting, I'll say "thank you, it's the way I spin the wand that makes these things appear(I do the spin vanish while saying this and conclude on the word "appear."). . .or dissappear (open the hand to reveal it is gone).

I think this is a really fun moment for the eyes, as it was for me when I first saw it done correctly.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
odroj88 and Bro David,

I think you guys are getting way off track here. We are talking about busking. This trick was built by design by Gazzo with a specific goal in mind. It is a show closer. The production of the melon must come from under the hat; to do it any differently would lessen the effect, ruin the moment of magic, and lessen your hat take.

Let me explain:

The performance of the cups and balls is so powerful on the street that even though the cups were examined, at some point some people are still going to think you are using rigged cups. Also, being a street show you will get people walking up after the cups have been examined. These people will immediately think you are using rigged cups (I have stood in Gazzo’s crowd and heard this happen on many, many, occasions).

Just before the finish Gazzo points out that the cups are not fake and have been examined. He also points out that he can even do the trick with his hat. He then takes off his hat and does a quick bit with the balls and the hat. There is a clear reason for the hat being introduced to the show.

Then he does the final part of the routine with the revelations including the melon.

When he reveals the melon he now has his hat in his hand. He does his hat line and throws the hat on the table. If you want to examine the hat you have to throw money in it. The cups and the oranges are also left out on the table and everyone wants to pick them up and feel them. To do this they need to bring a dollar. Think about that, it is brilliant. The trick ties directly into the hat line. It was not a happy mistake it is this way by design. I do this trick just as Gazzo taught it to me, when I do it well I have never had a larger reaction from an audience. In my opinion it is the most amazing moneymaker that has ever been done by a magician on the street.

If you own this tape and or the booklet you own a goldmine. If you don’t own them both you should. But don’t just look at the nuts and bolts of the trick. Please, please, please, study the big WHY behind every movement. Listen to what Gazzo is saying on the tape when he tells you the inside information on going for the loads. There is a reason for everything and any weak point is covered. This is not a slap dash magic trick. This is a routine that can play for seven minutes or 45 minutes. It is LOADED with ENTERTAINING magic.

In 1989 Gazzo won the international close up competition in England with this trick. He floored a room full of magicians with it. If you don’t believe me you can buy the tape from international magic and check it out. If you do see it, listen to the reaction of the audience when that melon makes its appearance.

It is amazing.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Danny,
I've bought the Gazzo tape, and am frustratingly looking forward to getting back in town to see it (it's waiting in my hold mail pile in the post office). I fully expect to study and study and ponder it, as you suggest.
But I would also love to get the Gazzo booklet you mentioned, as well as Cellini's The Royal Touch. Do you have any suggested places to get them?
Re: examining the cups before and after, I noticed Sonny Holliday passed out his cups and balls before the routine. Does everyone do that, because I don't and maybe I should? I've just been relying on the cup through cup move to prove they're empty. Why shouldn't we take the chance to show the cups are totally normal and that we are doing this with skill alone passed down through the ages. (Ironically, even if somebody was using a chop cup routine, their cups would appear unrigged.)
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Danny you are right on! Again....

I was distracted by the question, and since I have not had the chance to watch the tape enough times to really absorb the details, I missed the whole motivation, and explanation of the Hat! I was still in awe of the whole perfromance.

But as usual, you are right on with your entire post! And the brilliance of Gazzo's work is all the more apparent now!

Thanks for the Christmas present of greater understanding!

God Bless and Merry Christmas Friend!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5378 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
That Danny, he is the man!!!!!

koz
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
To James:

In a street show you should always, always, pass out the cups. This is done for a couple of reasons some more obvious than others. The first and most glaring is that by letting the audience examine the cups you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the cups are not rigged in any way. The second and not so obvious is that it allows you to connect with three people in your show on a personal level. Get their names, joke with them, make them a small part of the lime light. This will connect them to you personally, they will like you for it and it makes them want to stick around until the end and throw a couple of bucks in your hat. Interestingly, almost no one shows up to a performance on their own. So, if these people stay so will the people with them. You might only get tipped by one of them, but you may get tipped by all of them. Regardless, you will have at least six bodies sticking around.

In a staged environment it is perfectly acceptable to not hand out the cups and many performers do just that in their routines. On the street we have to prove we are at least as good as the guys on TV (we really have to prove we are better and still act like we are not as good. It’s all about downplaying our character). These people are just a few feet away from us. We need to take advantage of that and let them be part of the magic.

I don’t take any credit for these observations. This is just stuff I have learned from people like Gazzo, Cellini, Bob Sheets, and a bunch of others. They are the originators I am just regurgitating. Any real credit belongs with them. I have just spent a lot of time studying this part of the work because for me it is the most important part of my show. I need these people to believe they are seeing something impossible, I need them to have fun, and I need them to like me, if I am going to have any cash at the end of the day.

The unusual thing is the cash can not be the main motivation even though it might be the most important aspect as far as necessity is concerned. If I go out on the street and money is foremost in my mind I never make as much as when I put that away and perform for the joy of the audience.

As for the books:

Cellini’s book “The Royal Touch” can still be purchased from Horbi at the Zauberladen website. If you do a google search on it you will find the exact link.

Gazzo’s booklet on the cups and balls can be purchased at just about any magic shop. I know Hank Lee has a few in stock here in Boston. Denny Haney probably has them at his shop as well. Dennymagic.com.

An interesting thing about this booklet is it is very nuts and bolts. When you first read it you do not think you are getting much but when you put the stuff into action and follow along a lot of stuff kind of pops out at you. Especially if you have the video as a companion.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No better trick than cups and balls. Want JUMBO CUPS (Gazzo has used mine) they are available from http://www.stevensmagic.com (Stevens Magic in Wichita). $255 gets you the plated set, needs no polishing. Perfect for loading Oranges, softballs, whatever.

However, if not working streets and doing bar magic MUST HAVE is the Johnny Paul Cups (using sponge balls with interaction with spectator--Johnny Paul's routine is on tape). Again from Stevens.

Smile

Gosh I forgot, the Jumbo cups are called "Galli Galli" cups.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You might also want to learn how to do street magic with music. Jeff McBride calls it the "Commando Act." He has it on video 1 of his Magic on Stage video.

We hope you the best,

Dynamike Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Pete!

Good to see you here.

I use Pete's cups and they are FANTASTIC for the street. They are huge and take a big orange load with no problem. On the street the more visible the prop the bigger the crowd.

These are really nice cups.

Best,

Dan-

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I was going to ask what cups would be suggested for the street. Re: Danny's previous post about examining the cups: I must say that Danny is obviously a modest guy. His grasp of the dynamic of street magic from all its various points of views and psychological angles and how it affects the magic and the bottom line is amazing. Wherever it came from, Danny, you have obviously internalized this knowledge and taken it to bed. You are, it seems to me, the next generation of torch carriers. Thanks!
Jim

Ron,
So when you do the appearing ball, you're just spinning the wand to give the move continuity in the routine, right? So the spin vanish isn't an isolated ocurrance? Like that idea. Re: your final loads of baseballs, do you also use the small baseballs in place of the regular knit balls?
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
More wonderful wisdom being shared!

Thanks folks!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Wow, did you need any goat's blood to revive this thread?! I must say, I have learned much from these past posts. What else is new? In the meantime though, I have developed a routine in which I literally produce fruit that can't fit back in the cup..I throw it on the cup mouth up and it just doesn't fit...this has been my greatest reaction. Gotta luv the evolution of C&B!
spencerpeterson
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
186 Posts

Profile of spencerpeterson
What I did was learned the routine in the Mark Wilson Course to Magic and practiced it a lot, when I got it I evolved it and now I'm doing a totally new routine of mine using one cupwith 4 loads.
www.cleardeception.wordpress.com

The Magic of Spencer Peterson
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I believe Jeff Sheridan is currently in Germany working as a mentalist!

I like the Mark Wilson routine. I did make one change because I'm not comfortable with the concept of loading three lemons from my pants (or even coat) pocket. I made up larger balls out of red yarn and patter that the balls are "too small" to be seen clearly by the guy in the back!

(Doesn't the Mark Wilson routine make it impossible to "hand the cups out for examination?" I don't want to say more, but you know what I mean!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
It's been a while since I read the book, but I believe your talking about the "One ahead" principle?

With a little ingenuity you can accomplish the same thing, and still show the cups. That's a nice thing about the cups, you can do anything you want. You can show the cups empty and hand them out and start the routine 3 ahead.

The Mark Wilson routine is a fine start. My current routine is based on it, and uses 2 cups. At least it was originally based on it, like I said I haven't read it in a while. It'd be interesting to see how close I am to it now.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 06:26, mandrake01 wrote:
(Doesn't the Mark Wilson routine make it impossible to "hand the cups out for examination?" I don't want to say more, but you know what I mean!)

Yes, it does, as written, but that isn't difficult to overcome. Introducing the balls later, I mean.

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I used to be an actor. As such, I never variated from the script.

I've known actors for whom the script was a jumping off point for their own wild improvisations (George Kaufman said it best when, during a run of his play "Animal Crackers" with the Marx Brothers he turned to a friend and said; "I think I just heard one of the original lines!")

I have a lot of respect for someone who can do that well, but I'm not one of them.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I want a turtle for christmas.

FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I used to be an actor too.

I was flower pot #3 in Mrs. Crabapple's beautiful rendition of Oklahoma in 2nd grade.
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
261 Posts

Profile of Slappy
I have no respect for "show people"...lol
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Cups and Balls (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL