The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism at Trade Shows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I'll be doing a small, very small trade show for my wife's business at her both. I've done trade shows before but I've only performed magic, and mainly close up.
QUESTION:
Has mentalism been done at trade shows ?
If so who are thee performers for this kind of venue ? What have they done ?
WHat kind of material do any of you think might work here. (mentalism effects)

I have my own PA system now. Passport PD250 portable, with the wireless headset and lavalier (sp?). So I will have sound for the first time round.

Any help would greatly be appreciated as always.
Thank you.

E-LEoni.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
The first name that comes to mind is Tim Conover.Have never seen his work but you may want to take a look at his website for additional info.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
THank you John. I went on his site. I found out how great he is. No help as far as what kind of effects may draw the crowds in.

I was thinking of starting of by placing coins, bandage, and a steel mask on, without saying anything. Hopefully this would peak curiosity, then and only when I have the steel mask on introduce myself. Still not sure though.

E-Leoni.
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
I do a lot of trade shows all over the world.
Mentalisem is the stronget thing you can do in a trade show.
I use big screens,Computers and special presentations that I make with the marketing people of the company.
I have 3 diffrent sets.
one set is for magicians that come to spy.

some time I will do some magic...
the most important thing is to tell about the product.
Most of the magicians that I saw just do magic ,more magic and finish with some strong
magic that will fool the audience.
they say the name of the company and thinks that they are doing great.

Magicians that do mentalisem are:
Tim Conover does magic and mentalisem.
Joel Bauer does mentalisem.
Dany Orleans some magic some mentalisem.
Tim is my personal friend and he is one of the best closeup magician and mentalist
you will ever see.
anothre thing
you can do a trade show if you work fast...

2 years ago there were 20 magicians in SupeCom
one year ago 12
this year only 3
I work for few companies year after year
and all they care is the message that I can convey

Lior Manor
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Thank you Lior Manor for your insightfull help.

E-Leoni.
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
I have done several tradeshows. I don't like doing them.

Because of the venue, you cannot create the type of mystery I like. Also I completely abhor the comercial connection you need to do with your material. Tradeshows are the best way to trivialize mentalism. Good thing I don't need to do them.

But if you want to do tradeshows I suggest you look at Joel Bauer's material. He calls himself a crowd gatherer. He does some mental magic, not mentalism. His approach is very strong, hypnotist/hustler like, so it may not suit you. But do take a look at his published material. As Lior says the important part is not really the effects but the message. Succesful tradeshow performers do few effects but keep the crowd interested while they tell them everything about a product. A single effect can be usually stretched for a long time while the performer adds all this info. By the time the effect comes to an end, it's really not that important anymore.

For mentalism I cannot think of a worse setting. And despite astonishing the audience I always get a sour feeling afterwards.

Enjoy! Smile

-Alain Bellon
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Thank you Alain,

As I stated in my original post, this is just for my wife's jewlery booth, for a weekend show. I don't normaly do tradeshows for the exact same reason you mentioned. I've done a few but only because I was asked. I don't persue that venue.

I'm just going to do something to attract people to the booth, and in the process I was having a hard time convincing myself that one can produce good mentalism without trivializing it. Which is what you just confirmed for me. Thank you.

I'll probably just end up doing hippy hopp rabbits, with a necklace figure on them.HA!

E-Leoni.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4369 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Synchronistically enough, I have recently put together a close-up routine involving gemstones.

I start off with Jumping Gems as a flashy opener, then use my Birthstone Progressive Anagram (see Contimental in Secret Sessions), segue into Viking's Transmental Gemsation (but don't reveal the choice right away), use a nice Brass Hot Rod with Steve Dusheck's Zodiac force (instead of the awful 1-6 spelling force), and end with the Transmental revelation. In the end, I hand the spectators a business card of mine that has a listing of the 'magical' properties associated with various gemstones as a souvenir.

Of course, the above would probably not work well for a trade show setting... but maybe it will give you some ideas for similar effects that could be adapted to a jewelry concept...

Nest of Boxes?
Borodin Locket?
Linking Finger Rings?

Lots of possibilities come to mind...
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Thank you Philemon. THose are great ideas.

Synchronicity: The occurrence of 2 events that are not linked casually nor linked teleologicaly, yet are meaningfully related.

Jung believed these were indication of how we are connected with our fellow humans and with nature in general through the collective unconscious.

It's all MAYA.

E-Leoni.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Trade Shows are an excellent income earner making very excellent $$$ however, they are also exhausting work too. You do have to be a salesman as well as an entertainer and you do lose a fair amount of freedom as you normally need to stick to your approved script as closely as possible. I also agree that this type of situation is more geared towards mental magic as opposed to mentalism however, when you are working in a hospitality suite and or for the CEO and his friends in a private situation, you have a perfect opportunity to do the REAl mind dumbing work. (You have to justify those big bucks somehow and that is when you should be showing them that your boss, the Company CEO hires only the very best in the biz.)

For many though, Trade Show work is too difficult, too constrained and they just don;t enjoy it. For others, it is an excellent source of income, while demanding it is very rewarding and it is such a large arena to work (there are hundreds upon hundreds of industries one can work) that there is always work to be found.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
Quote:
Synchronicity: The occurrence of 2 events that are not linked casually nor linked teleologicaly, yet are meaningfully related.

Jung believed these were indication of how we are connected with our fellow humans and with nature in general through the collective unconscious.

Great post, E-Leoni.

I've been lucky enough to experience pretty heavy duty synchronicities all my life. I try to document them and learn from them.

Knowledge of synchronicity helps greatly with on-stage patter, or when talking about psychic matters in an impromptu or reading situation. There are plenty of good books on the subject, and I feature some of the better ones on my website. Some of the more famous examples of synchronicity (Jung's scarab beetle, Joseph Campbell's mantis) are great for incorporating into patter.

Of course, many mentalist routines are based upon synchronicity. I particularly like using synchronicity patter with effects utilizing two emotionally connected persons.
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Thanks Mike,

I only posted that definition so quickly, because that is exactly how I present most of my psychic routines. I usually incorporate most of the stuff I took up in college.... Studies in Sociology , Psychology, Existentialism, Kohlberb, Kafka, Jung, and watching the British series “ The Prisoner” with Patrick Mcgoohan .

The beetle thing wouldn't happen to be when a client of Carl Jung was describing a dream involving a scarab beetle when at that very instant, a similar beetle flew into the window?

I love Carl Jung stuff. His religious beleifs were never clear but you can clearly see the similarities in Hindu and Eastern philosopy regarding his collective unconscious subject. Jivatman our individual souls, which are only an illusion belonging to a greater singularity Atman (Atma sp?). Don't forget Maya meaning illusion, and is thought of as God’s dream, or God’s dance. How we never truly are separate, & when we die, we wake up and realize who we were from the beginning, just one... God.

I see I'm getting off topic here. Let me jump back in. I've come up with a routine for my trade show. It is a combination of Kurutske (sp?) and a blindfold . Expect I'm going to use a jewlery piece instead. I will place 5 coupons in 5 bags and a jewelry piece in another bag. Under the predense of using their voice I will be able to tell whos lieing or not and in the end picking out the woman that holds the bag with the jewelry piece. Still work in progress. What do any of you who are still with me on this subject think ?

Thank you.

E-Leoni.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4369 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Or you could use a real gem or jewelry item, and five very obvious FAKE gems or jewelry items?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
I love trade shows
not easy but pays very big (Don't read it if you
don't like to hear about fees)
I have been all over the world.
I have many free airline tickets
I am happy
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Lior,
You forgot to mention the other big bonus - frequently flier points!!!
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
Quote:
On 2002-08-27 16:20, liormanor wrote:
I do a lot of trade shows all over the world.
Mentalisem is the stronget thing you can do in a trade show.

Waybe this would deserve a new topic, but I have this curiosity, as I see you are Israeli. I always noticed a strong connections between Israeli magician and mentalism (Mesika, Bavli, etc.): Do you think it is an heritage of the Uri Geller fame or you can tell other reasons?

shalom rav ulehit''.
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
Geller mafe his mark about mentalisem
My style is not the Geller style.

But you are right
everyone is doing mentalisem over here

Lior
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1235 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Lior,
On that point... Therewas something you said once that really stuck with me. It something like... "If you throw a stone in Israel, it will hit a mentalist!"

Nice one!

Drew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism at Trade Shows? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL