The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The mystery ring box - Jay Leslies House of Enchantment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
This trick is the one where a small ring mysteriously finds its way linked onto a small wand that has been inserted into a wooden box.
I have to say that I really think this is a poor piece of magic (and I use the term loosely). I blame myself for this purchase more than the manufacturer as I didn't bother to check on the size of the box and the dealer I bought it from, online didn't have the dimensions in th marketing blurb. The box is nicely crafted but its tiny (3" x 1.5"). The wand is a terrible piece of plastic and the rings that are supplied are like those that you find on a keyring. Not gold as advertised. Also something has to be done to the box for it to work, and I find this a bit unnatural. I think it is way overpriced at $34.95. Even at half of that price it could be perceived as expensive.
My advice on this one is don't buy it.
Simon
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I do not know who the online seller of this prop was but if you check my website, you'll see that I do not advertise this item with a gold ring. It's entirely possible the dealer changed the advertising. Actually, 95 percent of the retailers change my advertising to the way they like it. This means that the exact wording and/or ideas I want to relay to the buyer are changed. unfortunatly I have no control over what other people do however - please look at the ad on my page. There is a very clear picture that shows the ring, the wand and the way the box is constructed. I try very hard to show the buyer exactly what they get. Some dealers are still making drawings for their advertisments. I think all advertising should use pictures so you can see exactly what you get.

I've personally demonstrated this effect dozens of times and NO ONE ever figured it out. So, If someone does not like a perticular effect, fine, but please don't say that it's bad... just say that you are not able to do it.. or it's not my cup of tea, but to take a trick that's been in Kanters cataloge and has been made in various forms since the 30s and has been popular and to say that it's no good is unreasonable.

To sum it up. look at my advertising and compare it to the online dealer that you go to, and I think you'll see that what I write and the pictures I make are altered in some cases. here is the link http://www.houseofenchantment.com/pages/......box.html
Thanks for reading my rant. Jay Leslie
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
WOW, Jay Leslie is here.
welcome, Welcome, WELCOME!

Welcome to the Café.

I have purchased a few items from Jay directly and am happy with the products I ordered.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Simon:

I have one too that I never use. Not my cup of tea, I guess. I would sell it, but would feel too guilty about it.

Jim
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Jay,
just wanted to welcome you back to the Café' It's great to see you back here. I hope things are improving and if there is anything I can help you with, please message me.

Best Wishes
Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Dealers/manufacturers who make an effort to "remake" old apparatus sometimes just don't quite get it right. Close, but not not 100%.

This is yet another reason why having a real Magic Shop to visit is so important!

Julie
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
When I received mine, I headed to the hardware store within the same hour and found the perfect "gold" rings perfect in both size and weight (a little heavier than the supplied ring, which helps to make this thing fool proof). A whole package of these (maybe a dozen in the package) were only a dollar or two. The Wand needed some touching up too, to make it look more like a professional prop. The box itself is beautiful as is. You, of course, can come up with your own little stick - maybe cut from a nice swizzle stick or something, but I touched up the wand and was happy.

Now, I would have preferred, of course, if this had been supplied with these little nuances to begin with. But why did I go through this trouble? Because this can be a killer effect, and for me, it IS a killer effect. A close up, impossible penetration that can look like real magic if it is presented right. This is one that I keep in my home collection and bring it out every once in a rare while if a visitor would like to see something. For me, it's more of a collectors item, because I like to travel very light when I do close-up, with as little in my pockets as possible.

I commend Mr. Leslie for bringing this effect to the modern world - it really can kill. Jay has also kept other marvellous effects from yester-year alive, and for that I thank him very much.

The minor hassle I went through to make this usable (according to my standards) was worth it - but really, Jay could have done the same exercise for all of us to begin with, and then I don't think he would hear many complaints. After all, the box is very nice, and since I hand-build and assemble every effect I produce, I understand the amount of labor (and love) that goes into a thing like this. For the box alone, I think the price is fine. Maybe in future releases, Mr. Leslie will do a little bit more leg work and improve the shortcomings mentioned here - for what amounted to ten cents, it all became perfect for me.

I should also add that I have used other Leslie products, and I really like them alot. Jay has a good eye for good effects, and the workmanship on other items I have received is top notch.

Now, for those not getting the bang from this trick (and assuming you have the props in order), I would tell you to reconsider your presentation. I "set" mine as I retrieve the wand from the table or spectator, and it flys right by. The punch can be very spooky - and your patter can make it much more so.
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I made some alterations and now I like the effect very much. The key ring supplied with the effect as well as the wand I threw out the minute I saw them. I made a wooden ring and placed a s**m in it. I also made a duplicate wooden ring in case the spectator wants to try it. I actually use a string instead of the wand. Once I have the string in place, I have one spectator hold one end of the string and another spectator holding the other end.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Before I gave up on finding gold (brass) plated rings, I looked. The major problem with brass plated rings is eventually the plating wears off or it tarnishes. The choice of the split rings was due in part to their availibility and the finish would hold in nickel plating. In the instructions I give a logical reason for the split ring - to explain that you are always losing your keys and this little ring is a new type of homing ring that you can not loose.

As for the wand being plastic, Mr Swoger used plastic extensively and sold thousands of his plastic "Minature Wands". He told me that he made them in wood but the plastic was a better seller (people liked it better) because they were not dull like wood and especially when an item is small, it helps if it sparkles. He showed me the clasic Jumping Jems trick made in plastic & a version in wood. I got his point immediatly as the plastic was brighter and showier (is showier even a word?)

So, If we are taking a straw pole, I will consider using different rings and wands in the future. Sometimes it's good to have a forum where you can recieve feedback. As long as people are doing this in a constructive way it's appreciated. Thank you.

Incidentally, I've seen this same trick at Presto's (made by who knows who) and the only difference in construction style was the bottom piece was larger making it into more of a base but the finish was rough and don't ask about the attempt at gluing the felt..don't do it. That's why I believe, in this day and age where retail shops are vanishing faster then - silks up a chimney - it's important to see close-up pictures of products on web sites and if possible from different angles.(as opposed to line drawing which a few dealers still use)

I am going back to the shop and inhailing sawdust now but if anybody wants to Email me directly about aspects of certain tricks jleslie@quik.com & if you want me to custom make you a trick then you can have any color ring or any type of wand you want.

And just remember to never leave the door on your Lions Bride cage unlocked... someone might steal the lion!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The mystery ring box - Jay Leslies House of Enchantment (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL