The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who's Ya Daddy ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
All,

Is anyone familiar with Ken de Courcy’s “Father Prediction” sold by Eddie Burke?

The effect:

A lady is invited forward to participate. You show a paper bag and explain that you just purchased a doll, which is inside the bag. You need a name for the doll. The lady selects a name, let’s say she chooses “Emma”! She then removes the doll from the bag. A label is seen attached to the doll wrist, containing a written message. The lady reads the label, “How Mummy, my name is EMMA!” Moreover, no, you are not using a nail writer. In fact, the baby’s name is written before the show evens starts.

NOW PLEASE NOTE: THE PAPER BAG IS NOW LEFT IN FULL VIEW OF THE AUDIENCE AND NEVER TOUCHED BY YOU AGAIN.

You explain the lady has just become an instant mummy to the baby. You continue:
“We now know who the Mummy is – but we don’t know the father?

Now follows an entertaining sequence in which a father for the baby is selected from the audience. I don’t want to give away too much here, but sufficient to say – it is wonderful fun and entertainment as the lady tries to find a suitable Father from several males in the audience.

Finally, the choice is made in a very fair manner. The gentleman so selected is requested to give his first name. Let’s say his name is Richard.

The lady herself picks up the paper bag from which the baby originally came and looks inside. She finds a large sheet of paper crumbled up into a ball, which she removes.

The lady herself unrolls the paper ball. You go nowhere near it. In big bold letters the entire audience can see written on the sheet of paper, the words:

“Hello Richard Thanks for being my Daddy!”

I am creating a motivational mentalism show for teenagers and young adults. I think this effect would be a great object lesson for unwanted pregnancies and promiscuity.

Any review will be greatly appreciated.

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
I think it the context your planning it would be a fantastic idea, good luck with it!!
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Darkseance,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Peace.
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
No probs, let us know how you go with it
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
This reminds me of a particular episode of the classic tv show "The Twighlight Zone" which spooked my sister. In the episode a spooky talking doll says, "I'm Talking Tina!"
How about having a talking doll actually SAY "“How Mummy, my name is EMMA!” and/or “Hello Richard Thanks for being my Daddy!” ?
Granted, this might be too spooky . . . but certainly lends itself to a bizarre mentalism context.
I feel using a talking doll could similarly be used for lots of other general mentalism and bizarre mentalism effects . . . this kind of thing can really freak people out, IMO!
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
Does the doll have red hair and a knife in one of her hands??? Smile

Whatever, this is a really nice idea, and using a talking doll would be just great.
This effect could even go further with the hair color and eye color of the doll matching the "parents" ones, or something like that.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Where can this be purchased? thanks

Mike
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

MentaThought & oxygen,

I'm not going to use it in a bizarre mentalism context, but it would freak people out. It's a great idea. This effect is in Eddie Burke's catalog, not on his website.

I received an e-mail today from him:

"Father prediction currently £15.00. Ultimate Telephoney currently £12.00. Postage UK £2.50. Overseas £5.00. We are closed from this friday 29th October until monday 1st Novemeber for Northern Magic Circle Presidents dinner. Hope this helps. Eddie."

http://www.mreenterprises.co.uk/

Peace.
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
I am an electronic design engineer and I love the idea of a talking doll, anyone got any thoughts on how to achieve a talking doll with this effect. I could easily construct the electronics to have a quantity of names available (outs) but how would the routine Guarantee you had people with the names you had programed?
I could put a switch on the back that you pushed while counting the alphebet in your head and then program the doll with the most common names for each letter but it is not surefire!
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Back in the early 90s there was a doll called Teddy Ruxpin (or something stupid like that). It talked, using an audio cassette in the back (hidden). If you can get one of those dolls, strip it down to the mechanics and re-cover it with another doll, you'd have a custom talking doll.

With some pre-show, you can pre-record the name of the person you're using. Then, when the time comes, push on the doll's belly and that'll be the only name it says. No outs necessary.
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
In a moment I'm going to post a new message under the subject "Talking Dolls" in the Inner Thoughts forum in order to comment on bloodyjack's and procyonrising's above posts.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
Back in the early 90s there was a doll called Teddy Ruxpin

With some pre-show, you can pre-record the name of the person you're using. Then, when the time comes, push on the doll's belly and that'll be the only name it says.

Unfortunately this would be easier said than done. Teddy Ruxpin used a stereo tape with one channel for the music and the other to control the animation. Eight different "digital" channels were mixed onto this one audio channel to control all the various motions of the doll, including the mouth.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
> The lady selects a name, let’s say she chooses “Emma”!>

Is she selecting the name from a deck of name cards??
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Danny,

From the catalog, a deck of cards was suggested by performers that had the effect. I'll give a review after I purchase it.

Peace.
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
ANyone using Father Prediction? I'll resurrect this ol thread:)
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
So apparently, nobody has ever bought or used this effect ? I would love a review from someone who uses it

Dave
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who's Ya Daddy ! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL