The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Back into magic, starting Impromtu, so much to learn, so little time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Elements
View Profile
New user
Europe
25 Posts

Profile of Elements
Hello,
My name is ian, ive been doing magic for around 1 and a half years before I took a break. I took a 8 month break, and now I'm slowly getting the inspiration to start again. I was quiet sucessfull before I took my break, having done 2 gigs at age 15. I mostly did Card magic/ street magic (Mostly blaine type stuff, with my own spin on it) easy but powerfull effects and they got me queit far.

Anyway, now I'm starting to get back, I got a good array of sturdy 5-6 card tricks, but I really wanna learn some impromtu tricks to fill in when I'm having trouble iwth the cards. Im a total beginniner to this section of magic.

Some trick ideas would be helpfull, or general thoughts on the differences between card and impromptu.

Tricks that come to mind that are kinda impromptu are:
-card throguh dollar
-3 coins across( from greg wilson I believe)
-crazy mans handcuffs

Any other trick ideas would be helpfull, and other info like difficulty, and where to find would be helpfull.
Thanks SO much to read this,
-ian
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Hi Ian,

There is an array of impromptu magic out there that you can do. Just be creative. If you are into magic with everyday items, check out "Jaw Droppers" by Larry Anderson. I was actually impressed with this series. There is a TON of impromptu magic on these tapes, not just magic, but some really funny sight gags as well. You can find it here:

http://www.jawdroppers.com
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Since impromptu magic most often require the use of what we call "every day objects" like: coins, bills, napkins, lighters, keys, rubber bands, pens, Cigarettes, sugar cubes etc. we have put a lot of work into the presentation as well, laymen don't see these objects as anything special so that's why it's how you do the handeling and how you present each routine that make it magical for them.
If you are interested in impromptu magic I would suggest you to search the works of Dan Harland, Gregory Wilson and as Phil mentioned: Larry Anderson.

Practice the sleights and misdirection required and you'll be ready to perform anywhere, anytime...
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Get a copy of The Encyclpoedia of Impromptu Magic from Magic, Inc in Chicago. This is a massive tome and chock-full of really great magic, gags and even a few bar bets.

One of the best $30 buys I've made in magic in decades.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Get greg wilson's off the cuff dvd. all the effects are do able for the beginner to the advanced. also the effects are fun performing and to the spectator.
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
456 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Don't overlook Michael Weber's "Life Savers" for some extremely strong material that is either impromptu or in Michael's words "...quickly improvised."
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
I recommend you to get both 1&2 Gregory Wilsons "On The Spot" and youre back on tracks Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Bob Read is big on the seemingly impromtu magic. He swears by the Encyclopedia of impromtu magic.

He's got some good routines that are pretty impromtu as well. Get his issue of genii, some really nice routines.
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
Get the basic books, like the Mark Wilson books, Martin Garnder's encyclopedia of tricks. There's so much good stuff. You just have to explore.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Don't forget Loryane's THE MAGIC BOOK
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Back into magic, starting Impromtu, so much to learn, so little time (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL