We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Ball Learning Resource? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Yikes I was just doing some searching and there's a used book seller (non-magic) with 2 first editions of Garcia's Sponge Ball books. One is signed. Priced at
$450 and 650. I believe they may sell for other sellers.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
I know this is of topic but... once you learn sponge ball slieghts can you use these slieghts on normal objects? (grapes, bit's of paper?)
Tysmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
171 Posts

Profile of Tysmagic
Ear Plugs by Jay Sankey. It is a DVD that comes with "ear plugs" to use as sponge balls. It has the best teachings I have ever seen in a sponge ball video.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=170

Very well worth it!
TAOBMAETS 666 or 999 Steamboat
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Quote:
On 2004-11-28 09:25, Owen Thomas wrote:
I know this is of topic but... once you learn sponge ball slieghts can you use these slieghts on normal objects? (grapes, bit's of paper?)

Hi Owen. Absolutely! Infact,you can adapt many of these sleights to coins as well.Many a sleight of hand artists got their start with sponge balls that came with their first magic set.
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Quote:
On 2004-11-28 10:26, Tysmagic wrote:
Ear Plugs by Jay Sankey. It is a DVD that comes with "ear plugs" to use as sponge balls. It has the best teachings I have ever seen in a sponge ball video.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=170

Very well worth it!

The moves and sleights taught in that video can be easily adapted to actual Sponge Balls?
Yfirum
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Yfirum
Hi guys,
maybe I'm missing something, but my local magic dealer sells Garcias Encyclopedia for 70 Swiss Franks which are about 100 dollars.
I see a difference of lousy 300 bucks.
whats the point about the 400 $ encyclopedia? Is the german version cheaper because we old europeans need some support? ;-)

yfirum
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you can find it, Carneycopia has a 2 ball routine.
Scott Guinn's PBJ has some great routining. The routine itself is not my style but it's well put together and worth acquiring.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1694 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Do yourself a favor, spend the $10 on the 25 tricks with a sponge ball video. It has enough basic sleights to develop a routine out of. I have used the basic spongeball routine on that tape (modified slightly and with original patter) for years to great effect. My students always remember the sponge ball routine.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
L&L Publishing has Patrick Page's spongeball video on sale for $10, and it's a great video for someone starting out.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
The Penguinmagic have something I think, Jay Sankey earplug and sponge balls routine!
I sugest you to think something by your self, master the movies and false moves!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1376 Posts

Profile of lynnef
The 25 tricks video by Hampton Ridge (w/Dave Hudspath) gives you the productions, vanishes, and a coupla routines with corny patter. I have found spongeball magic to have strong effect at times. A lot of sleights work for a variety of objects, but the production and vanish of 2 inch spongeballs can be startling. The earplugs video is good, but it is geared around the one routine. On the other hand, we all use earplugs ... but what the heck are "spongeballs"?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Aren't sponge balls found inside square pants?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
I last found Frank Garcia's book for 200 dollars on ebay.
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
Sankey's Earplugs! video is excellent IMO.

Sankey is slick with his sleights and it makes it very easy to pick up. You get about 4 decent routines and a load of moves.
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Quote:
On 2004-12-13 05:28, Neil wrote:
Sankey's Earplugs! video is excellent IMO.

Sankey is slick with his sleights and it makes it very easy to pick up. You get about 4 decent routines and a load of moves.

Does he actually teach the routines? I've been told he only shows them but doesn't teach the full routines.
Steinbock
View Profile
New user
Maine
76 Posts

Profile of Steinbock
Sankey does teach routines on the DVD. And it's pretty good. Sankey is pretty goofy. (Okay, he's completely wacko). So his style may turn some people off. But I get a kick out of it. (But after watching an entire hour of him, I vow to give up coffee).

Here's the contents of Earplugs:

MOVES:
Retention Vanish
Upside Down Retention Vanish
False Transfer
False Take
Acquitment
The Nothing Transfer
The Pop-up move
Double Steal
Backdoor Steal
Banana Split
Roll Around Split
Ten Count
Hard of Hearing Opener (sponges from ears)
Jumbo Load Techniques

ROUTINES:
Shotgun Production Sequence
Likes Attract
Four on the Floor
The Pick Pocket

(Plus five other non-spongeball effects)

Magnus, I didn't make the spongebob connection until I did a Yahoo search for "patrick page sponge" and got thousands of links to pages about Spongebob and his pal Patrick.

Are you ready kids? . . .
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
I learned a hell of a lot from that Sankey vid. I watched it over and over. Practised for a month and ended up with 2 very nice routines.
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Does the Earplugs stuff work just as well with "those old red spongeballs" as Jay says?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-12-12 14:19, zur wrote:
I last found Frank Garcia's book for 200 dollars on ebay.

I have a copy of this I'm about to put on ebay.
If anyone has to have it before I do, PM me.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Steinbock
View Profile
New user
Maine
76 Posts

Profile of Steinbock
Iceman,

Yes, as far as sleights and moves go, Earplugs translates perfectly to regular spongeballs. Where it differs is in Sankey's patter, which involves pulling earplugs out of ears, etc.

There are certain things that are easier with earplugs than with balls. The earplugs sit flat in the palm without rolling around. Also, the Pop-up move works so easily and naturally with earplugs that it'll take some practice to get the same effect from balls.

Bottom line, Sankey's Earplugs covers all (or most?) of the traditional moves of spongeball magic, but with a unique plotline, and with Jay's bizarre sense of humor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Ball Learning Resource? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL