The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A gimmick watch to be the hit on market (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1941 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I've just come up with a Watch Effect which needs a high-tech gimmick watch. Since I am not an expect in this field, I can only ask workshop/maker to make the watch for me.

I really believe the watch will be a hit on market if it can be made into a product. But now, I don't know how to start to make it into the product...And I am really serious to introduce the effect to market.

Can someone really kind to give me advice? I will appreciate each of your input.

Thanks!!!

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
What's the effect, Alex ?
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1941 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I think this effect is original to me and the only remaining issue is to make the watch. The effect is like this:

The performer takes off his watch and pass it to the spectator to hold or wear it on wrist (the watch can be examined). Only after that the spectator is to name a time, exact to minute. Without touching the watch at all, performer concentrate and the hands of the watch rotate slowly to the exact time, in full view!!It's a PK effect which is more powerful than watch stop!

Advantages of this effect:
1. The watch can be used normally.
2. The watch is handed to spectator before the time is named
3. Mentalist doesn't touch the watch when the hands are moving.
4. Everything is in full view.
5. You keep the watch after the effect, no sourvenir to spectator.

Hope those dealers who read this post is willing to take the effort to help me make it into the product. I have the method, but no workshop... Please PM if you are interested.

Thanks!

Alex Hui

PS: I hope no people will try to copy my idea in this today's crazy 'rip-off' market after I share the effect here...

oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
By having the method, you mean you have everything technically set up and ready to be build or you just have the idea of the way it could be done, but with no technical elements?
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3747 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Collectors Workshop had a very nice effect called Gift of TIme using a large clcok instead of a wristwatch. With regards to this effect mentioned, I think a better and stronger effect would be to not let the hands of the watch be shown to be moving in front of the audience but rather keep the watch in a small gift box for soemone to hold. Then with a bit of a story or plot, ask a spectator to name any time that he/she feels was an important time in his/her life ie. the time that he/she got married, the time that she first gave birth, etc. The time is annouced and the gift box is opened to find that the watch is set to the exact same time thought of by the spectator. I think this would play bigger and have more of an impact than on seeing the hands of a watch move around which would clearly make the audience believe that the watch is somehow gimmicked.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
See if there is a watchmakers association where you are (Hong Kong). Also, check your local yellow pages (online search?) for watch repair places. Where I live (Virginia), there is a shop down the street that sells grandfather clocks and does expert watch repair.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I need a watch made aslo. It will need to perform these tasks...

1. Beam a thought into anothers head.
2. Beam a thought out of a spectators mind.
3. Freeze time.
4. Create a telekinetic beam of sorts both to bend objects and move objects.
5. Levitate me and others.
6. Allow me to teleport.

If you know some one who can make this, or if you have any more ideas on what this watch can do please pm or post more info. I would be willing to spend $5 (The final profit from my theater run) on this.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Dr. Z -

Does it need to tell time?

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-10-28 11:35, Greg Owen wrote:

Dr. Z -

Does it need to tell time?

- Greg Owen

Are you mad? Who, on this forum, uses a watch to tell the time!
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Alexhui,

if you are in hong kong, my brilliant friend tony ko may be able to help you. maybe you already know him?
he is quite capable of building almost anything..o.k.maybe not dr.zs' watch.
cheers andrew gerard
http://www.allandrew.com
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1941 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Michael,

My concern in this effect is that to show the PK. I didn't care about whether spectators think the watch is gimmicked because any effect presented well will make audience believe the result.

And since the watch is already out of performer's reach before the time is told. So spectators should be no way to suspect the watch in terms of methodology.

So Friends, any idea for such workshop?? Thanks for any input in advance.

Alex Hui

sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
529 Posts

Profile of sludge
If spectators see the hands moving, they will just think it is remote controlled. No effect there. If it was their watch it would be different.

The prediction effect though (hands not seen moving) could play very, very big.

imho.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Alex, amigo, no intelligent person is going to look at the hands move and NOT think that it is a gimicked watch ("It's a trick watch!")...and all they have to do is THINK that and the effect is belly-up.

People will simply NOT believe that telekinesis, PK or anything else is the causative factor, whether or not they can grasp the actual methodology...if they thnk its a trick watch, they then KNOW the methodology in their own minds (trick watch). What are you going to do, convince them that it is not? How, by using their own watch?

I think that this will be an expensive item that no one will purchase. We've seen hands move on clocks on every lame SitCom on TV...it's no big deal, and it's always a trick watch or clock.

Sorry to disapprove, but I think you might want to get the honest practical opinions of about 20 working mentalists before you sink a cent into this one. Be sure to get an estimate of the final retail price...it will be far too expensive for the effect.

Having one made for your own use, however, is completely legit. Go for it!

As a commercial product, I just don't think this one would fly.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Sludge...even if the hands moved earily slow, I don't think remote control would be a logical answer if the mentalist/whatever has no apparent idea of what the time was supposed to be. Maybe I missed something though.

JE

I'm not a working mentalist, but I still think the effect can be played strong. It just has to be presented in such a way that it is believable. If they see the spoon bend, pen fall from the table, wine glass droop, key turnover...do they immediate suspect tricks? If so, you are doing something wrong. Presenting some of these other pieces, followed by a PK time with a borrowed watch will set the stage...then rather than borrow a watch, to save time (no pun intended) use your own. They may even "mis-remember" the PK time effect as also seeing the hands move to a seemable unknown time.

I will give my honest answer though, I still would not buy an expensive watch for this effect, as PK time and other effects like Osterlind's Watch Routine has more than enough "kill factor" for me.

John E.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I'd be careful with gimmicked watches. I did Osterlind's watch routine for a girl and she got so scared she took the watch and threw it on the ground and stomped on it shattering to a million pieces! ha ha!!!

Jonathan Grant
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Spoons can't be reasonably gimmicked to bend, especially when they're immediately handed out for spectators to keep. Spectators see the spoon visibly bend, outside of your hand and in plain sight, and the spoon is immediately handed out for them to possibly keep. Likewise with bending wine glasses, the bend occurs in clear glass and, again, can be inspected immediately thereafter.

I've tried to give this honest thought, but I cannot conceive of a single presentation of Alex's effect that would NOT cause the spectators to immediately think, "it's a gimmicked watch." This is especially true if you can't give it away and/or perform it with a borrowed watch (the way you could with that Bazaar de Magia thing).

Maybe someone like Docc Hilford could come up with a creepy or emotional storyline that might sell this effect, but even then, it might entertain but still wouldn't fool anyone.

Drawing off my own experience, I own but rarely use Luis Trueba's transparent version of the Koornwinder Car. The problem with it is that after one "stop," the audience will begin to suspect the axels are gimmicked, because that's the only part of the car they can't see. That's why I'll only perform the effect with a cover for the car, so that I can show the clear car at the end of the trick instead of throughout.

Maybe something like that would work. Alex could spend all day waiting for someone to come along with a watch that looks just like his and switch the gimmick in and out. A lot of work, and switched performed under maximum heat, but at least the obvious conclusion (gimmicked watch) will be allayed somewhat.

Still, gotta say I think PK Time's better. I use PK Time more than I do my Master's Time Machine, much as I love that gimmick.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
You made a good point, Avocat...handing out and easy of gimmickly can have a subtle effect, where mechanical devices that can't be handed out may become suspect.

I guess I would compare seeing the hands move sort of like seeing a spectators thought of word mysteriously appear on a small monitor you're holding, rather than simply deving the word Smile

Thanks for those well made points.

John E.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2046 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
[edited because all my points were already made by others]
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
richpoyle
View Profile
Regular user
UK
116 Posts

Profile of richpoyle
For me, the weakness is that you have to hand a watch to a spectator who is more than likely already wearing a watch of their own!

To be a convincing demonstration of PK - you need to be moving the hands on *their* watch - not one you produce specially for the occasion.

I'm afraid you haven't thought this through.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I like where he's going with it. If the hands slowly move to the correct time the right presentation could be very strong.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A gimmick watch to be the hit on market (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL