The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book of the Year (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I often hear that some books are critically acclaimed. Is there a list that would outline the magic book of the year? I am curious what those might be for the last 10 or 15 years.

For example, I would not be surprised to find out that the book of the year for 2004 is Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz. To my recollection, this was the most talked about magic book this year.

There must be one book each year that gets a lot more attention and hype than all of the others.

Thanks.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1826 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I think you better include Book of Secrets by John Carney.As for each year that would take some work.I do feel that Greater Magic would be on the list though.
If anyone on this forum could do a year by year book I think it would be very interesting.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3430 Posts

Profile of Julie
1946 = Fine Art of Magic by George Kaplan
Includes excellent Magic ranging from close-up through platform/stage (cards, coins, mental, and apparatus).
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Wesley James released Enchantments this past year and it is incredible. So much information is contained within its pages. I would put this book up against anything released this past year, including Book of Secrets and Mnemonica.
Drive Carefully
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Book of secrets was not released this past year. only the reprint was.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Even so I wasn't too impressed by The Book of Secrets. I liked Carneycopia better. I would say Mnemonica would be my pick.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
So Carney's Book of Secrets could be the "book of the year" for 2002.
Drive Carefully
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
1982 The Complete Works of Derek Dingle by Kaufman

1986 The Classic Magic of Larry Jenningsby Maxwell

1988 Darwin Ortiz At the Card Table

1989 The Secrets of Brother John Hamman by Kaufman

1991 Tie between Carneycopea by Minch and Smoke and Mirrors by Bannon

1995 Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz

1996 Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris and Eric Mead
Drive Carefully
AaronShields
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of AaronShields
Easier said than done.

Some guidelines I used:
1) If I couldn't decide between two books, and one contained mostly reprinted material, I went with the book with more new material.
2) If I couldn't decide between two books and one of the authors was already represented on the list and I thought his other work was superior to the one in contention, I chose the other book.
3) I omitted books with mainstream publication.

My tentative list back to 1985:

2004-Mnemonica
2003-Secret Ways of Al Baker
2002-Paper Engine
2001-Card Zones
2000-Absolute Magic
1999-Theater of The Mind
1998-Mysteries of My Life
1997-Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields
1996-Books of Wonder
1995-Cardshark
1994-Collected Works of Elmsley Vol. 2
1993-Magic of Alan Wakeling
1992-Collected Almanac
1991-Carneycopia
1990-Aronson Approach
1989-Secrets of Brother John Hamman
1988-Complete Walton Vol. 2
1987-Vernon Chronicles Vol. 1
1986-Classic Magic of Larry Jennings
1985-Roth's Expert Coin Magic
Find out about my magic:
http://www.freewebs.com/aaronshields
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Interesting duels such as Books of Wonder in 1996 vs Art of Astonishment also in 1991 Smoke and Mirrors vs Carneycopia, I like Focus by Goldstein in 1990 vs the Aronson book.

1993 has By forces Unseen by Minch

1994 has Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz and 1999 is the release of Hollingworth's Drawing Room deceptions.
Drive Carefully
AaronShields
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of AaronShields
I think Books of Wonder were superior to Art of Astonishment. While there's some excellent stuff in AOA, the overall quality of the materila paled in comparison to the Books of Wonder which is think had a higher quality/quantity ratio.

Hollingworth book was a contender for 1999, but I felt Theater had more material I would be inclined to do.

I enjoyed By Forces Unseen, but I enjoyed the Alan Wakeling book much more. For the die-hard close-up or card guy, By Forces Unseen may be the superior choice.

Strong Magic is also a great book. It was a contender for 1994. I felt any list without mention of Alex Elmsley's book would be incredibly unjust. As Ortiz was already represented with Cardshark, I went with Elmsley.

Another book to add to 1991 is Collected Elmsley Vol.1. I much preferred Carneycopia and Collected Elmsley to the Bannon book. I thought Elmsley Vol. 2 was superior to Vol. 1, as it contains the Dazzle Act and many of my favorite Elmsley creations. As a result I gave the position to Carneycopia.

For 1990, personally I've never really cared for most of Goldstein's published work, but it's an entirely personal choice.
Find out about my magic:
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-28 16:10, David Ranalli wrote:
Even so I wasn't too impressed by The Book of Secrets. I liked Carneycopia better. I would say Mnemonica would be my pick.

Book of Secrets is sooo much better than carneycopia Smile That would be my choice. You have to see some of this stuff on video to believe how good it really is. Also, the "theory" put forth in Secrets is solid, intellectual reading.
AaronShields
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of AaronShields
Likewise, you have to see Tamariz do some of the stuff.If I had to pick a magician to totally destroy people including magicians, Tamariz would be at the top or very near the top of my list.

I also found more material to my liking in Carneycopia. For 2002 my contenders were Paper Engine, Scams and Fantasies With Cards, and Book of Secrets. As I felt Carneycopia and Cardshark were superior (leaving Ortiz's and Carney's work represented) I went with Paper Engine. The essay at the beginning of Carneycopia I think ranks way up there among essays on close-up magic, even though he contradicts himself at one point.
Find out about my magic:
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
1902 Expert at the card table
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Aaron, for 2002, you will be hard pressed not to place The Mind and Magic of David Berglas ahead of all. FAR superior to Paper Engine.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
1996 marks the year of publication for the English version of Giobbi's Card College Volumes 1 & 2. In 1998 Volumes 3 & 4 came out. These books would be contenders in each of those two years.

Seems like 1996 was a pretty good year for our magic community with all the fantastic books that came out.
Drive Carefully
AaronShields
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of AaronShields
David,

You're probably right. The Berglas book escaped my mind. However, I've only had a chance to flip through it, as I don't own a copy. One of those books I do wish I had bought.

For this year, if we are allowed to consider related books and not strictly magic, I'm guessing the Forte book may quite easily surpass Mnemonica when it comes out.
Find out about my magic:
Amazing Dick
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Amazing Dick
The reprint of "Expert at the card table".
Peace Out !
Amazing Dick
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
1959 - The Card Magic of LePaul
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

"Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber has received a lot of attention and praise this year.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book of the Year (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL