The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychology (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
Do you think you have to have a good sence of psychology to be a good mentalist, or do you think that you don't have to have any psychology skills to perform as an artist?

Gareth Hobson.
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
It certainly helps.

My studies focus in Psychology and it has helped my Magic (I am not a mentalist), a TON.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
In my opinion any information which allows you to know more about the people with whom you are working is good information. Of course you do not require a degree in psychology to be a mentalist but an understanding of the basics is useful sometimes.

However remember that use subliminal signalling in everyday life anyway, you can tell what soemone is thinking. If you see a guy staring at a girl in a low cut top as she walks down teh street hew probsbly isn't thinking about typing an essay.

Any information you can fil your head with if useful and someof it may even come into direct use some day. For books on psychology check out Banachek's website http://www.banachek.com and go to "reccomended reading" I think it is. Some great suggestions there.

Hope this helps a little,

Kind thoughts,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
Thank you for your imput kennedy.
Gareth.
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
The usage of psychological vocab can always help espec with readings, just look @ the sar system
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I have to humbly disagree with the 'psychological illusionists'

Although I studied Psychology I hardly ever use the terminology or play on psychology as a major factor in what I do.

Weird, yes, strange, oh yes, psychological, sometimes. The most I ever say is something along the lines of 'Do you realise that most people do that/pick that/ eat that one, are you sure that you want to...' or maybe a little of 'based on your personality and information that I have gained about you since we met I know this......'

The danger of waffling on about psychology is you had better have a *** good knowledge base and have studied it well for when you meet the psychology geek who starts a conversation with you. It is the same reason I stay away from NLP as an explanation as I know sweet FA about it.

What happened to good old fashioned mind reading?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
The study of human nature, behavior, and thought patterns is the name of the game

Jack Shalom
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Yeah! Whatever did happen to good old-fashioned mind-reading? It can be argued that most of the greats in our field never took on the psychological angle, opting instead to call themselves psychics, mind-readers, thought-readers, and clairvoyants.

But, to address the topic of this thread, no. Knowledge of psychology doesn't matter. However, knowledge of people does. You have to know your way around people to do well in mentalism... and life.

Best,
James.

But Landmark's got a point: many have done extremely well with the psychological angle--I just don't think it's an absolute requirement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychology (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL