The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » NLP for street performers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
Is it possible to use NLP to influence a crowd gathered to watch you perform on the street? In particular, can it be used to influence people to put more money in your hat?
I figure there must be something that can be used here. Some performers I work with routinely make a lot more money than others. They talk about working the crowd, connecting the giving of money to a joke or even sentiment ("I'm getting married"--the crowd feels good--"so anything you give consider a wedding present."
There was also one show where I must have said something with the right connection, because I got more $10 than I ever had before. I haven't been able to duplicate this.
Thoughts? Can NLP be used for a large, distracted group?
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I think the beginnings of NLP is relevant here.

Once upon a time, Bandler and Grinder worked with a guy named Fritz Perls. Fritz was a therapist, a really fantastic therapist. Fritz was so good, his students have often said of his work: "it's as if Perls could see a zipper running from the top of your head down to your toes. And, when you sat in that hot seat (there'd be two chairs, one that Fritz sat in, and one that you sat in, called the "hot seat"), it was as if he could unzip you in half, and your tortured soul would fall out in-between you both."

After working with Fritz for a long time, Grinder started getting results with his clients too--often with results similar to Perls'. Bandler noticed this and asked Grinder what he was doing to sound and act so much like Fritz, but Grinder had no idea. Then, Bandler says "teach me how you're doing it, and I'll teach you how you're doing it." Some people say this is when NLP was born. (Though it has to be said that Bandler often changes his stories.)

Thus, if you're talking about using NLP with groups, you're talking about modeling successful presenters and performers. To this end, you have to study what the most successful people do and break it down to learnable "chunks." This is the most basic--and most practical--use of NLP for your purposes. The essence of NLP is not to "put one over" on people, rather, it is to generate better responses by becoming a better person. If you want better hats, you need to become a better hat-worker. Remember, most successful people don't use NLP. It's the people who aren't successful, who want to be, that use NLP to copy those who are successful.

You can add a trick or two here and there, but, in the end, it comes down to how good a street performer you are. It comes down to how well you entertain, and how well you can pitch a hat.

If you want to use NLP, try spending a year watching the best street workers in the world. Get to know their pitches and shows very well--to the point where you can recite them. When you reach that point, you'll "know" what makes it all work.

Best,
James.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Well said James

you are there to entertain..if they feel they have been entertained then they will pay, easy as that..it is all about striking a rapport with the audience.

Howard
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
Actually, if they feel they are entertained, they might put something in the hat...and they may not. They have to be instructed, invited, cajoled and demanded to put walk up and put money in the hat. And if you want to make any real money, you have to convince them to part with a $5 instead of $1, and a $10 instead of a $5. A successful hat pitch is 50% of the act. I've seen great performers who had a very entertaining show make very little because they had a lousy hat pitch.
I've studied with the best of the street performers, and received great information from them. It has increased my hat a lot.
But also being a mentalist, I've been wondering if there is a way to influence a crowd the way you can influence an individual. Aside from having rapport (which I know is the critical beginning), is it possible to anchor the suggestion of giving a $5 or $10? For example, get them feeling generous and giving by bringing up a situation where most people feel generous, then anchoring that to a gesture, like picking up the hat?
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Good post above, James.

DB had a nice line in Pure Effect, used when doing a trick with a 5 or a 10, and then 'encouraging' the spectator to donate their note to him.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Absolutely you can utilize NLP principles and methods to increase your tips, and your won audience's snjoyment of your performance.

1st yes you should be a good performer delivering the goods.

Still NLP language patterns, anchoring, knowing what to do when - included in your performance, your patter etc can make all the difference between an average response and an incredible response.

Think hypnosis - pretend for a moment that it is real - stage hypnoisis - I say that because I don't want people debating a needless topic -

20 peope on stage acting goofy, dancing, singing, seeing the audience naked - having a great time because they are being told too - the hypnotist ramping the mood - the audience having a great time -

if that is possible - you can use similar and some of the very same methods to get better audience responses and tip better.

But again have the goods to deliver and utilize NLP and you have an incredible combination.

For some articles
http://www.idea-seminars.com
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I can definitely attest for Mr. Sikes's abilities. Wonder Words which he helped create is an awesome series that every mentalist should have. It truly helps with all aspects of performing and shows/details techniques for getting the biggest bang from your effects.

I am currently re-listening to the ww cd's as I beieve they will help shape my performing better.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
DZ

By the way. I enjoyed the entertainment you provided in the Chicago theater. Thanks!
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Everybody seems to be interested in manipulating people or reading their minds. This seems to be real magic to some people. Smile
lawrencetreagus
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of lawrencetreagus
DB also mentions something in AM.
Just a final tip, but I think he subtlely dirrected them to give him money by embedding the idea within his sentence.

regards
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Just grab a kid and put a gunto his head it seems to work for all the street entertainers over here..

fake gun of course
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » NLP for street performers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL