The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Is Mayne's "Voodoo Box" really good on stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
I mean does this illusion really strike a home run, or is it just a novelty when performed on-stage. I have the booklet. Just wanna know what sorta audience response you guys have had.
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I've always got a good response to it.. I do it at every show cause its so light. This is an awesome effect that not many people out there do so if you wanna be unique get this trick (illusion).

Here to compare if you don't believe:
it's the same effect as the sword basket same response but better cause they'll think, 'how can you gimmick a cardboard box that you put together in front of the audience?!!!'

Sword Basket = $1500
VoDoo Box = $50

So if you wanna save $1450, buy this instead.

Tip: Don't wear shoes of your suit coat if you wear one.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18037 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I just got mine in the mail. Any tips or pointers? I plan to go to the flea market in a few minutes to get the umbrellas. Let's Party! Mardi Gras style that is.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Slim King,
It may be best to go to Big Lots or something like this to get your umbrellas. I paid $66.00 USA for 20. I am from Florida also and they still have these umbrellas here at Big Lot.

Ray
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
I have this plan, have bought it with curiosity.
But it not so is pleasant to me. It is better to have the good, strong essential element.
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I got 20 umbrellas for $50 canadian!!! at a dollar store!
they are awesome and open with a push of a button and don't collapse
reaper
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of reaper
I found the umbrellas at a Dollar Tree store. 24 umbrellas for $24. I got a few extra in case one broke, etc. They are just like the ones that Andrew showed in the plan.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18037 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The best price that I could find at the flea market was $2 each. I'll check Dollar Tree tomorrow. I'm worried about length. The manuscript doesn't seem to give real specifics. ( My girlfriend read it)...I will re-read it if she can't find any. FOUND THEM! She's the one going into the box anyway..LOL
Hey Ray
Loved that levitation video!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Slim king... don't worry about the length that's what I was worrying about them before I got them you cant go wrong with length
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Man I can't say enough about this trick it is truly modern looking instead of that painted box and swords look .
Buy it! Do it! You'll love it, just use your imagination too make it you.

Johnny Mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hi Johnny,

I've already bought it. I'm just suspicious about constructing and doing this. Is it worth it? What kind of response do you get? Or do the audience sometimes think "well what's so impressive. He could have crouched inside" or something like that.
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Quote:
On 2004-10-31 15:21, MaGiShN46 wrote:
I got 20 umbrellas for $50 canadian!!! at a dollar store!
they are awesome and open with a push of a button and don't collapse

magishn 46 you lie. I bought the umbrellas for the trick you just sit in the box. tee hee ( if you guys are windering we are partners in our magic show)
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
I would like to ask - do you do it when the box sits on the floor or on a stool/table?
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hey Plainman007, Ya know the audience can think what they want because they will never be sure as to how it is really done. Some people do a costume change, I wouldn't recommend it though.
I use a 'Sack-X' as I have mentioned before, it really makes it seem more impossible.
Or you could do this, push the box up against your backdrop, the assistant gets into box. Everybody thinks he goes in the box, then out of the box and is hidden behind your curtain because they see a form appear behind the curtain.

You then push the box to the front of the stage and start impaling it. Everyone thinks they caught you! Without pushing the box back to the curtain you pull out the umbrellas and open the box and your assistant stands up to a hopefully huge round of applause!
It's an old routine but still works.
Johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
reaper
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of reaper
I use to perform it on a small platform that had wheels, but it was low to the ground. Some audience members, (if performing on the floor, rather than a stage) had a hard time seeing. So I put legs on the platform with casters. Now it is more visible to everyone.
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
I got my partners dad to make a small platform with wheels to do it on. It makes showing all the sides of the box a lot easier and it also kind of messes with the audiences head and causes lots of them think my partner sneak into the platform even though it's only half a foot in thickness. muahahaha
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Thanks for your comments. I even though to put some cloth and after puting all the umbrelas you take the cloth off to show he is not under the box.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
But tell me guys is it really practically workable ? I mean the method of what the assistant does. Can he really do that with such little space granted inside ? I thought it woudl be mightly difficult especially since its completely dark inside for him. Definitely not for a claustrophobic !
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Yes it is workable, I performed Voodoo Box in all my summer shows, even in a couple of living rooms and several backyards.

The pictures in the manuscript are a little misleading, they show Andrew sitting in a box that he could never fit in. I use a box that is 24" by 24" by 27" and my son is 5'. I am 150 pounds and 5'10" and I even fit inside the box we use and yes even I have been the guy in the box.

It can be done surrounded, transports easy, and ya have enough umbrellas for a very rainy day. What more could you want?

Johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Johnny, Very rainy day. LOL. That's good, I love that. Did you ever think of cutting a hole in one of them so you can tell when it stops raining? Anyways Johnny. How long does the actual shoving in of each umbrella take for you, Because considering the moves in the Manuscript it looks like at least about 10 secs per umbrella? Or am I wrong? Tell us more. How long does the entire illusion run for you?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Is Mayne's "Voodoo Box" really good on stage (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL