The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Let's hear it for the 21 Person Cabinet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
This has been one of my favorite illusions ever since I read about it in Jim Steinmeyer’s THE COMPLETE JARRETT. Still, I had to take it on faith that it was deceptive since I’d never seen it performed. But the other day I got to view Doug Henning’s performance of the illusion from one of his old TV specials, and guess what? It looked great!

For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, 21 people are produced from a cabinet that’s obviously too small to contain that many people. DH actually produced 21 cheerleaders plus 1 Bruce Jenner. And it looked impossible.

Why do I love this illusion? Let me count the ways:

1. Jarrett created a specific presentation to go with it. The success of the illusion depends on following Jarrett's script, which stresses the impossibilty of the illusion before it begins. Otherwise it doesn’t even come off as magic.

2. The method is tipped to the audience during the presentation, only to be ruled out as a possibility. How often does THAT happen?

3. The cabinet isn’t even shown empty before or during the routine, yet the productions are still mysterious.

4. This is a rare one. Who has a cast big enough to perform it in a regular live show? Maybe S&R could have done it, but I can’t think of anyone else.

Anybody have any further thoughts on this gem? Opposing viewpoints? Better ways to produce 21 cheerleaders? (PM me on that last one…) Smile

Will
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I would love to see it performed. Something similar is Lance Burton producing girl out of a suitcase. It was only six or 8 girls as opposed to 22 people, but it was very surprising.

The Jarrett routine I want to see is the Bancock Bungalo. I thought the method seemed a little far fetched, but I have recently been studying a spirit cabinet routine that works by a similar method and I know this routine played well.

Richard
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Lance can most definatly produce anything out of that briefcase. He can produce 100s if he wanted to. I think he chose that number so he does not bore the audience but amaze them.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Henning's 21 Person Cabinet was recently offered for sale on the martinka.com auction, but did not sell for lack of meeting the reserve price. It may still be available, if you're interested contact Ted Bogusta at martinka.com.
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Quote:
The Jarrett routine I want to see is the Bancock Bungalo. I thought the method seemed a little far fetched, but I have recently been studying a spirit cabinet routine that works by a similar method and I know this routine played well.

Richard, I know what you mean about the Bungalo routine - it's kinda hard to imagine it playing on stage. That's another one I'll take on faith until I see somebody do it.

By the way, are you studying Kellar's Spirit Cabinet? That used one of the principles at play in the Bungalo routine and is discussed in the new Kellar's Wonders book. I'd never seen that method for the spirit cabinet in print before, but it seems like a good solution.

David, thanks for the martinka.com source. That's the one, all right. Sweet.

Will
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
The Kellar spirit cabinet was first produced in the early 1900's by Maskelyne in a sketch called The Bloomsbury Proper-Ganders of Spiritualism. Later he revised it for St. George's Hall as The Spirits Are Here! Kellar aquired it after that and called it the Cassadaga Propergander. Carter the Great also used it in one of his shows.

I'm kind of at a dilema with the method now because one of the things that made it so deceptive was how the cabinet was contructed on a piece of plate glass set between two chairs. Maskelyne's solution to that is very good, but not very practical now days. I am trying to solve the problem of recreating the effect with a different solution, but I think it is the lightness of the cabinet that makes it deceptive.

Alan Wakeling had a couple of good practical solutions to the effect, but he finished both with a production of a woman. I want the cabinet to literally fall apart at the end showing it to be nothing more than some boards and empty space.

The whole thing has my head spinning for the time being Smile

Richard
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Producing a woman at the finish of the routine telegraphs the method, IMO. I like your idea of having the cabinet fall apart. Best of luck developing this. If your head keeps spinning, just change the routine to a twister illusion. Smile

Will
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Will,

I agree with you concerning the Jarrett cabinet. I have seen the video of Doug Henning one month ago and felt just like you. It is an amazing piece of magic!!!

Regards,

D
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I have the actual cabinet and will be performing it live on ABC for the east coast coverage of the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Parade on Thursday. Had some help from Jim Steinmeyer with the technical/presentation points. If you're on the east coast check it out....it will also be streaming live on 6abc.com

http://www.phillytrib.com/entertainmenta......ars.html
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
Cool. Good luck with that event Scott.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Hopefully you can upload some footage for those who miss it. I know you'll do an amazing job!
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

That's the box!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
That box was owned by Robert Reinhhardt in the 70's who lent it to Henning for his show.
The chain of ownership after that, was lost to me. However, Rudy Coby would have more info on that, as Reinhardt was his mentor.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Didn't Kirby VanBurch ended up with it?(and he probably sold it to Scott)
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

I know it belonged to Blackstone for a while as the crate said "Blackstone #39" on the sides.
Here is a link to todays performance.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/feature?sect......=8444012
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I loved it, nice work as always Scott!
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
You rocked it Scott! Excellent job!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great ... thanks for posting.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

You bet...Its such an interesting piece of magic history.

It's funny, but when I was reading the Jarrett book, I looked at the pictures and thought to myself..."NO WAY!"
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Let's hear it for the 21 Person Cabinet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL