The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Hard or Soft TT? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
I'm in the position where I need to buy a new Thumb Tip.

I've always used soft, because that is what I was taught with, so I always stuck with it. However, I've been hearing more about hard tips as of late.

Which tip is better for what, and why do you use a hard or soft?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I started out with metal ones, way back in the Jurassic days. I generally use a hard TT. For work with a silk, I get the biggest Vernet TT I can find and roll the end so it perches on the end of my thumb. That way, I can vanish a 12 inch hanky in it.

I generally use the same kind of thing for the thing with the bills. However a heavy soft one works well for that. I don't like the really squishy soft ones because they are hard to get on and off.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
I usually do silk vanishes, and a Thumb Tip Blendo but am interested in getting into vanishing other things. Not sure of that helps at all.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
This is a subjective issue, I suggest you obtain a variety of TT's and experiment. You will soon find your favorite. When I was beginning I was told to use a chrome plated thimble for my cigarette vanish, the reason was simple, if properly handled no one will see it.

Bill Palmers advice is correct, the really soft ones can be more difficult handle.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I also agree with Mr. Palmer. I prefer the hard tips.

Mr. Palmer, what do you mean by "roll the end"?

Regan
Mister Mystery
ageddes
View Profile
New user
Dundee, Scotland
17 Posts

Profile of ageddes
I'm a soft thumb tip fan - I started off using those with silk vanishes etc and they are good for removing it with one hand. The best thumb tip I tried on was made by Magic Hans in Germany but I think they have stopped trading.

I would like to get a custome made one at some point. A medical prosthetic place could help you out if you wanted to go down that route.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I typically use the soft ones as well.

Although I might be switching for one particular effect. So last night I modified a hard tip
for use with a spongeball and I will be trying
that out tomorrow.

I don't know why I didn't think of it first.

A dean dill idea.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
A Sponge Ball eh? Sounds interesting.

Is Vernet the best manufactuer?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I use the Vernet Soft Thumbs for silk work/vanishing lit cigarettes. I use the harder and a bit darker plastic TTs for the bill switch because the bill slides VERY easily in the hard plastic but gets caught or has a lot of friction in the soft TT. Good luck!
atkins117
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of atkins117
I've generally used a standard Vernet tip with good success. A magic shop owner I knew used to demonstrate that the realism of the thumb tip was irrelevant. Like the chrome comment above, he'd vanish and produce a silk with a tip he made from modeling compound and had painted red, white,and blue. No one ever saw a thing. The technique was terrific.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 10:46, Mister Mystery wrote:

Regan

By "rolling the end," I mean shaping it like the entrance to a dye tube. Take a thumb tip, boil some water, and (using salad tongs or whatever) hold the opening of the thumb tip in the boiling water for about 15 seconds. Then push the opening of the tip down into a shot glass. This will cause the opening to roll inwards.

Be careful when you do this. Don't hold the TT in your hand. Use tongs. Don't stick your hand in the boiling water. It will hurt. My attorney advised me to say this.

Quote:
On 2004-10-29 12:04, ageddes wrote:
I'm a soft thumb tip fan - I started off using those with silk vanishes etc and they are good for removing it with one hand. The best thumb tip I tried on was made by Magic Hans in Germany but I think they have stopped trading.

I would like to get a custome made one at some point. A medical prosthetic place could help you out if you wanted to go down that route.

Medical prosthetics are VERY expensive and unnecessary.

I can work with a chrome TT and nobody will ever see it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
Quote:
By "rolling the end," I mean shaping it like the entrance to a dye tube. Take a thumb tip, boil some water, and (using salad tongs or whatever) hold the opening of the thumb tip in the boiling water for about 15 seconds. Then push the opening of the tip down into a shot glass. This will cause the opening to roll inwards.

Be careful when you do this. Don't hold the TT in your hand. Use tongs. Don't stick your hand in the boiling water. It will hurt. My attorney advised me to say this.

I wish I read the whole post before trying this. (ouch)

Joe
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22900 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Such an in depth discussion on spending $3. What about the $75 Thumb Tip. Now that is worth discussing. Oh! It already has a sting.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I prefer hard tips. Also, I can't imagine that soft tips would be very good for the hundred dollar bill switch because they wouldn't work very smooooothly.
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
I generally use a hard Vernet TT, but then again I do a lot of cig vanishes with it. I have one of the super-soft TTs and find it very hard to get off one handed. It keeps wanting to make a popping sound. (SOmetimes magic sounds like rubber popping).
Thank You
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 18:29, wmhegbli wrote:
Such an in depth discussion on spending $3. What about the $75 Thumb Tip. Now that is worth discussing.

That would be the so called "street thumbtip" spun in copper, made by Porper, Magic Pitch, James Riser and Van Dokkum.

I wouldn't reccommend them for the cig vanish though, copper heats up pretty quickly. (ouch again)

Joe
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 15:32, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 10:46, Mister Mystery wrote:

Regan

Thanks Bill! That 'tip' will really help me. I have a lot of trouble with proper fit.

Hey, I got your name right. Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Bob Solari sells a terrific soft TT.
Richard
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 23:57, Jordini wrote:
I prefer hard tips. Also, I can't imagine that soft tips would be very good for the hundred dollar bill switch because they wouldn't work very smooooothly.

Roger Klause uses a slightly flexible one for the switch. It works very smoothly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
I've been caught more times then I plan to divulge by keen eyed laymen with my thumb tip. I used it just was I was shown when I purchased it.

Damn, I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Hard or Soft TT? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL