The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I know nothing of mentalism but want to learn. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Master of Deception
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Master of Deception
I would like to learn about mentalism and include it in my act or hypnosis. I like to create a mystical atmosphere in my acts. Any tips on how to get started?
The magic is in the magicians perfected performance.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
There are several threads on this already in existence. Please run a search.
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
I'm thinking of launching a personal shopper service for mentalism wannabe's. £1000 ought to cover it.
lawrencetreagus
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of lawrencetreagus
Corrinda 13 steps
I think there should be a permanent thread of 13 steps so we don't keep having to see the same post of how do I start.

regards
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Hi, Master of Deception!

Corinda's "13 Steps to Mentalism" is a good start (it's what I did based on recommendations I got from here a while back). The book is a little "dated" and sort of "corny" by today's standards, but the core essential material is still applicable and a "must" for knowing.

You may want to purchase Max Maven's three DVD set called "VideoMind". Each DVD deals with either close-up mentalism, parlor mentalism, or Maven's explanations are great. Maven also gives historical information on each effect -- who invented the method, who was the first to perform it, who should get credit for the effect, etc.. Very worthwhile!!

I also have Jay Sankey's DVD "Amazing Psychic Feats Anyone Can Do." Some of the material on there is good. I also have Sankey's DVD "22 Blows to the Head" which also contains a lot of great mentalism effects and explanations. He teaches some basic mentalism concepts in both DVDs.

Most of all, have fun!
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Hi Master of Deception

Before anyone can give you a valuable answer
we obviously need to know what your act is?

Then relevent suggestions might be forthcoming.

So what is the "act" you want to add mentalism too.?

BB
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I would recommend buying Annemann's Practical Mental Magic.This book is cheap(Dover) and has many excellent effects in.13 Steps to Mentalism is another good book.
After you have read these,I would recommend either Osterlind's upcoming series(Easy to Master Mental Miracles--most of the effects coming from the aforementioned books) and/or his brilliant Mind Mysteries series.
Watching these will help you to see how the effects can be presented in a convincing manner.
Good Luck
Andre
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I was fortunate. I grew up watching the Amazing Kreskin on TV as a kid i.e Johnny Carson,Merv Griffin,Mike Douglass & Dianh Shore etc. I even remember his TV show in the 70's. I also remember Orson Wells performing on the Merv Griffin Show..OMG- he was a GREAT mentalist!!

I would say study of few of the performers out there, then you'll have some kind of base to develop your own style & presentation.
Self concept is destiny..
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Buy Mind Myth and Magic, and Don't Look Back! Run with the ball. I was exactly in your situation a while back and although I did learn a great deal from 13 steps, Practical Mental ...., and Theatre of the Mind, MMM seems to be timely and very do-able right away.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
lawrencetreagus
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of lawrencetreagus
I would like to apoligise for the way I may have been taken from my above post.
if your looking for a no gimmic mentalism result then banchek "subtleties" for a start and luke jermay is also an insight. as for hypnosis "the new encyclopedea of stage hypnotism" has been a great companion to me and has had many good reviews on this site.

regards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I know nothing of mentalism but want to learn. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL