The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do you keep your NW from view? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
How much do you keep your NW from view? I just got busted by a spectator. I tended to treat it like a thumb tip which I used to display in a very cavalier way and I never got busted with a thumb tip. But then this guy caught me with the NW and then I’m studying the Richard Osterling video and I see he ditches his as soon as he hands the paper to the spectator. Should it always be covered? Thanks Frank Military.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I use the Dalal gimmick for close up, and very often a china marker TW for stage.
My advice is to try to hide it as much as you can, but don't make too much of that.That will look suspicious.
I usually have the writer on when I write (-or pretend to write)the prediction/lead up on my pad.
The writer is hidden behind the pad almost all the time, - also when I turn the pad around to show the prediction, and I have never been caught.
Here, as always, misdirection is the central answer to your question.
Make sure that you visibly THROW your pencil away when you have written the prediction/lead up, and make sure that you only use your NW offguard.

Sven

PS, it is possible to see Osterlind ditch the NW when you study the video.
I am sure that that is because you have watched the videos again and again, and because you are not influenced of his misdirection and audience management like what the spectactors in the video are.
I am dead sure about that you never would have caught him on that in a real time situation.
When I
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I use a Slydini type of misdirection with the gimmick. The basic idea is if you do your secret motions in the same way as your ordinary motions, who can know when you are making a move?

With that in mind, I have developed the habit of often putting my hands in my pockets. I do it when I stand talking to the audience, when I am thinking, just as a place to put my hands. So when I need to get a swami, ditch it or get something else, the moves are the same as I have been making.

When I am using it, yes, I do try to keep it behind the card, pad, or just have my thumb behind my hand.

Richard
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I tend to pull it off with my left hand at sometime during the 'chatting stage' so that I can display the card in hand and hand it over to them cleanly.

I also put hands in pockets as a natural occurence so it is easy to ditch/replace.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1345 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
The way I hide it when revealing what I've written on a business card is to hold the card vertically while writing, then use my middle, ring and pinky fingers to grab the card and pivot it around, without moving my wrist, then pushing it forward to face them with my NW thumb. This turns the card around while keeping my thumb still hidden behind it the whole time (if you can make sense of that description), and is quick and natural looking. I just think it is less suspicious to reveal it, or hand it to them, with the same hand.

As well, I often put the card on a table (or hand it to them) with my hand palm down, which hides it. I ditch it by putting something in my pant or shirt pocket, or taking something out, and I also sometimes just hang my hands on my pockets with my thumbs inserted "cowboy style" and ditch it that way. Since I use a boon, it flicks off fairly easily.

Personally, I am an advocate of putting it on only when you're using it and ditching immediately after. It's just not as invisible as a TT.

Seth
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
The only time I got caught was while ditching it. After handing them the card, I just let my hands dangle at my sides and continue to use talking as my misdirection.

The ditching will come as soon as I can though as Seth says to get something else etc. Perhaps I just rushed the ditching when I got busted.
SpAgHeTtI
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of SpAgHeTtI
I think that this question should be in the inner though section or in the secret section....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do you keep your NW from view? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL