The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Hi. I saw this trick on the BBC2 show MAGIC. This week it was close up magic. Michael Ammar, Penn and Teller and other magicians made an appearance. One thing I noticed was a young magician performing a routine with clear plastic cups and I think 1 inch yellow sponge balls. It had vanishes from inside the cups... another thing was he put a sponge ball on top of a cup and hit it with the top of another cup and it penetrated through visually. It was very good. Does anyone know where I could learn this? It is very visual.

Just caught his name... Jason Latimer the 2003 close up world champion.

The show as a whole was great. As I said Ammar and Penn and Teller showed up. Alsp Paul Daniels played a dominant role in it. It showed some of the stuff from Expert at the card table being performed (middle dealing etc.) Also it showed a magician (can't remember his name) who could do sleight of hnd even though he had no hands or legs. I was fascinated by this. Paul Zenon also was very good. At one point I thought he was exposing a trick but it was actually part of a trick. Very funny. So if anyone in UK/ Ireland missed it, and are interested in close up magic they missed out big time. Looking forward to the next one which is about disappearance.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
Also it showed a magician (can't remember his name) who could do sleight of hnd even though he had no hands or legs.

This is not as far-fetched as it may seem. I have seen mentalists who were completely out of their minds perform.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Lol. Any help on the trick I was talking about Mr. Palmer? I'd like to find out more about it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jason's cup and ball bit? No, he hasn't published it yet.

He's thinking about it, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
OK thanks. Is there anywhere I could find a similar routine or at least a routine based on the same concept? (ie clear cups). Besides Penn and Teller's. Although I can split myself in two sometimes it only happens for a short while. I'm working on it though.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a cups and balls book that Micky Hades put out a few years ago with a clear cups and balls routine in it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Ok I'll look into it. Thanks.
atkins117
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of atkins117
Does anyone know whether Slydini had a cups and balls routine, and if so, was it published anywhere? I haven't seen any references to one.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
There is a cups and balls book that Micky Hades put out a few years ago with a clear cups and balls routine in it.

LOL...Bill, a few years ago....probably close to 25 years ago. My how time flies when you're having fun...or kids...LOL!

Mike
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Penn and Teller did a C&B Routine with clear plastic cups. But it was a bit different than Jason Latimer's. If you get a tape of it you can just play it back slowly and you should be able to figure it out. haha

Eric Falconer
Houston TX
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-11-01 09:28, mike gallo wrote:

LOL...Bill, a few years ago....probably close to 25 years ago. My how time flies when you're having fun...or kids...LOL!

Mike

Well, in the geological scheme of things, that's a few years.

As one frog said to the other, "Time's sure fun when you're having flies."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Hades Publication is very interesting. The concept/method is, however, different from what Jason Latimer has devised.

Latimer is planning to market limited numbers of his cups and balls sets through an exclusive arrangement with Stevens Magic.

Probably next year.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Quote:
On 2004-11-02 01:58, Bill Palmer wrote:
As one frog said to the other, "Time's sure fun when you're having flies."

Or, 'Fun flies when you're doing time'.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Latimers cups and balls was superb and the magician was rene levand, as I'm sure you know he's missing an arm but not his legs. Guy Hollingworth was doing the gambling routine and that was superb.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I didn't see this, but Ricky Jay mentions a 19th (18th?) century performer who had no arms or legs. I think it was in his "Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women" book. (Matthew Buchinger??)I think Ricky mentioned that he was able to do the C&B. It might have been mentioned in the special.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-11-02 01:58, Bill Palmer quipped: As one frog said to the other, "Time's sure fun when you're having flies."

Sir Bill:

How do you come up with this stuff. I'm getting to where I read everything you write just to catch the punch lines. A laugh a day at least!! Way to go!!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That was an old cartoon that I saw in some sleazy mag or another. Could have been Gahan Wilson who did it.

The "performer with no arms and legs" was Matthew Buchinger. He was born without hands or legs, according to Clark's Annals of Conjuring, born in Nürnberg in 1674. Also Johannes Brigg, who had no legs and only one arm, was known as a cups and balls performer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL