The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Differentiating between Clown and Magician. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I know it seems I'm on a roll tonight were postings concerend but, I want to discuss the next (logical?) step were my Kids shows are concerend....

Im stuck in the middle between clown and magician, and possibly these performing personalities get mixed up, for the better, I'm not sure.
So as of tonight I am going to be a clown Smile and a magician! Magic Matt like I say is almost a clown, so now he's going to become one. Mr. Wizzles the clown, is the name I have came up with, after a bit of googiling I think the name is original, but if anybody knows of a clown that performs under this name please tell me. For the magician part of me! I'm possibly going to still be called magic matt, but I'm aware of magic matt in Manchester, so I'm possibly looking for a performing name *Something* the magician, copyright and equity in the future may provide some problems.

Matt
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
How about Mad Matt!!! Smile
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Im liking it, lol.
Matt

btw, what do you and Emazdad carry your puppets in?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
As a general rule, I'd say that the major difference is magicians aren't quite so high on the "Geek Meter" as clowns -- but, we are there!

I think it's a great idea to treat these two personas as two entirely different entities. I do the same with my magic/hypnosis characters, and the system works. It was originally espoused to me by Karrell Fox, who wore MANY different hats ... he thought of himself as the "agent" for all the different "people" he was.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Mark,

That's interesting. I started to do that a few years back when creating my mentalist character and the overwhelming opinion of those I knew was that I shouldn't do that and I didn't.

I'm now putting together another act and the character has a different name. In fact, I now have a separate web site and business phone for that act.

Matt,

I think you're on to something. I don't mean this to be negative, but "Mr. Wizzles" sounds to me like you need a trip to the loo.

"Magic Matt", or "Magic <insert your name here>", just seems all too common to me. I think you're on the right track to look for something else.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Magic Matt, Magic by Matt, Magical Matt, Matts Magic are all common variations that are over used by people in this business, which is one of the reasons I looked for something different when I started out.

If you are going to have 2 personas, Matt the clown and Matt the magician, how are you going to cope with 2-3 shows in a day, where some want the clown and some want the magician. You don't always have time to mess about changing and taking make-up off and putting it back on. Coz the clown puts his on in front off the kids as part of his show, this is an option that could help.

Mad Matt is good, it tells people your both fun, and magic. It's hard though to come up with any others as I've not seen you show, and the name does need to connect in someway with your performing persona.

As for the puppets, we both carry them in large plastic containers we got from B&Q, We both use a different type of container, and we fitted brackets to the bottom of them so they sit on tripod stands during our shows.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Ah but, you got to think of your listing in Yellow Pages.

So I'd suggest: "....AAA000111ABCMattMagic"

Nothing against clowns - but I can become completely 'nuts' and entertaining, in just a flashy shirt/black trousers - with my own face showing. So much nicer whilst travelling too!!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Emazdad, I think that would be one way I could over come it, I watched a clown years ago that had a story about he always wanted to be a clown, and this clown came up to him and strated to draw him a face, and threw him down the stairs on a unicycle and he started to ride it and juggle ect. It was a nice way to introduce the clown.
Regarding the AAA11 name, do people always go to the first entertainer in the yellow pages? for me I would look for the biggest, colourfull adverts that sell me their show. Because that shows me that they have spend money and it should reflect in their business.

Matt
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I blur the lines between the two with every performance.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
990 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Emazdad has a good point if your'e going to be doing both clown and straight magic. I use Ben Nye pro clown make up and sometimes have it on for over 10 hours in a day and it still looks presentable. Here it works for me to be a magical clown, however I was recently advised that if I was to move to a western country (Australia) I shouldn't mix magic and clowning together, as it will only get a clowns payment due to the fact that clowns generally get lower than a magician. It was either a clown, or a magician, but not a mix of both at the same show.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Perhaps I might be best just doing clowning? I will see how it goes. some people may not want clown so I would just go smart.

Matt
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2004-10-31 08:37, JoJo wrote:
I was recently advised that if I was to move to a western country (Australia) I shouldn't mix magic and clowning together, as it will only get a clowns payment due to the fact that clowns generally get lower than a magician.

That may be true for some but my experience has been to get paid for the variety I bring to the event. I consider myself a mid-priced performer. Folk that ask me to only perform magic without the clowning seem to expect lower prices (which I do not give) while folks that want no magic seem okay with the standard price structure (which isn't cheap.)
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Mixing the two (or three or four, as the case may be) confuses the client. Agents in my area know that I am, essentially, two different performers, and treat it as such when making presentations to clients. I have, on occasion, been presented as two different performers to the same client for the same event, thereby doubling my chances of being hired!

My experience has been that, if they see me as a magician (the "fun guy"), they have a hard time accepting me as a "real" hypnotist. As a result, I go by one name for magic, and another name for hypnosis and mentalism. This allows me to aviod the "Jack of all trades" label.

Mike - Who exactly was telling you this was not a good idea? People not in the biz, or not doing it, is my guess. I think you'll be very satisfied with the results. From our interactions in the past, I know you are not afraid to try new things and that you put a lot of thought into your promotions ... you will do well.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I did my show today as 'Mad Matt' I didn't call myself that, but I went dressed like a magician (similar to Emazdad and Billy) rather than a clown and it felt good, it was a change and I think my show went really well, possibly one of the best house parties ive ever done as the children were sooo well behaved. I am loking forward for my clown character I think its going to be fun.

Matt
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Matt having been a clown magician for 35 years now, I can tell you my character "Chuckles" is always striving to be the next worlds greatest magician. Like al of us sometimes his magic works but some times it does not. Just because I am a clown character I do have emotion, Joy, pain, excitement ect. I relate my character to being around 6 or 7 years old and have a tempermant as susch. Even though I am in reality 48 years old. I attempt to have fun with my audience and not at their expense. The joke or trick often falls on me. Clowns by the way do not have to be silent or even stupid. But a clown should always strive to capture that small inter child that still beieves in magic, Santa Claus, and Flying Reindeer. If you can capture that both the audience and yourself will enjoy your performance as a clown. If I can help you please frrl free to contact me by pm or personally. Chuck "Chuckles" Lyons.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I did both for ten years (I've just dropped the clown).

PROS
More potential clients
You get to extend yourself

Cons
Kids who see BOTH characters will be confused.
You can't accept clown gigs near magic kids (make up problems)
In Australia, clowns get paid less.
The kids will treat you differently when your clown which can be confusing.
Clowns get beaten up more.
You need to double up on advertising and business cards OR be prepared to spoil the illusion of the character and let everyone know you are both characters.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Clowns get beaten up more, lol! As a clown to people really recognise you as the magician?

Matt
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Quote:
On 2004-10-31 12:20, Starrpower wrote:

Mike - Who exactly was telling you this was not a good idea? People not in the biz, or not doing it, is my guess. I think you'll be very satisfied with the results.

A couple hypnotists and a few magicians.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I remember reading a story in the paper a few years ago, about a clown who was hanging up his red nose because he got fed up being a punch bag.

Why is it that kids feel they need to punch the clown?
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Well I do believe we have several cultural differences going on here. I do know that as clowns we are considered to be living cartoons. If you will like a living Mickey Mouse or Homer Simpson. The audience does tend to believe that we as such are indestructuable. In My shows I tend to give a short primer on a clown by my actions . I show that I doi feel emotions and when a child is frightened of me I become frightened of him ect. As for the pay schedule here in the states the magician does get more by a little but thatis because they ask for more. We as clowns needs to ask for more $ but also make sure that we are providing the value for those dollars. Chuck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Differentiating between Clown and Magician. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL