The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Differentiating between Clown and Magician. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
It sounds to me like a clown being beat up needs more training. I too have had a wonderful career as a clown, magician, juggler and balloonist. Please I don't know where you live but clown training is available, and is a must! Not just for appearance, character development, physical comedy and movement but for audience control, child development and entertainment business classes. If kids or adults get rude I just wow them with magic or juggling or I match their wits. Maybe Chuck is right and this is a difference in culture? I don't know where you live that clowns are paid less but that would not be the case if I lived there. We train our customers to respect us and pay us what we are worth.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2004-10-31 16:53, magic_matt wrote:
Clowns get beaten up more, lol! As a clown to people really recognise you as the magician?

Matt

yep.

It is an unfortunate fact that both parents and children here in Australia value clowns less each year.

This is mainly due to an influx of bad clowns who don't know how to handle kids.

Every children's performer has been the victim of a kick in the shins or a punch in the guts on some occasion...and clowns seem to get more then their fair share!
taneous
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of taneous
My character is a retired clown trying to do magic - that way I mix the two quite succesfully - and I have an excuse for being naturally clumsy.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I also work as a clown and as a magician. Professor Pickles Gherkin Circus is my clown show and it completely different than my magic show.

I have had no problem having 2 charcters.

I have never had to give up a gig when I am booked (for example) to do a clown and then someone wants a magician soon after. I can usually sell them on the benefits of a clown. Sometimes though, people don't know WHAT they want, and it is up to me to explain the benefits of both and help the customer "decide".

As for price, I price myself slightly higher for my clown show and have no problems. As for being beaten up..not been a problem. Foot stomping is a whole other story Smile

For whatever reason, I have been getting many more calls for shows as a magician and haven't done my clown for a while. That's OK tho. I save him for parades and other special venues.

My website first page has links to either magic or clown as they are very different.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Macbeth
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of Macbeth
Quote:
On 2004-10-31 17:19, Emazdad wrote:
I remember reading a story in the paper a few years ago, about a clown who was hanging up his red nose because he got fed up being a punch bag.

Why is it that kids feel they need to punch the clown?

Is it because some kids find clowns scary?
Or is it because they do not see you as an proper grown up?

Just a couple of thoughts rather than answers!

I used to have a clown punch bag when I was younger. Could this have anything to do with my constant urge to hit clowns? Smile
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I haven't done too much magic clowning for awhile, but I too have been successful at both. For the last couple of years I have been doing more as a magician and being a clown only on special occasions, such as parades, festivals, openings,etc. Instead of doing magic shows, I try to do strolling magic as a clown these days.

A good make-up job is time consuming and you have to allow time to take it off also. My make-up can continue to look good for many, many hours unless it is just really hot.

As far as being punched goes, I have never had that happen...(Knock on wood)...yet. Once I did have a kid try to sneak up behind me and try to grab my wig. It happened when I stopped by a football game to see my daughter cheerleading after a birthday party, so I was still in full costume. I was just walking to the consession stand when a kid tried to grab it. Luckily I saw him in time and saved myself some embarrassment.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2119 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Clowns have this sort of 'cartoon-charecter'-ish apperance to them, and the slapstick gags & pratfalls they sometimes do give some kids the idea that the clown simply can't be injured. Also remember, to a child, a grown-up is nigh invincible, the idea that they are HURTING you probably is not their real goal.
Magicians on the other hand, leave kids in a sort of awestruck state, and since they have no cartoon-appearance, they simply appear to be adults, whom most kids have been brought up to respect.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Matt

Maybe not for a clown but I think that Matt Black is a good name for a magician. Get it Mat black?

What do you think?

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Nice! an idea has alrrady popped into my head.
Matt
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Matt Black- He does exactly what it says on the tin.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Matt Black, the kids wont get it, but the adults will pick up on the name. Watch out for the PC brigade you mat get call racist, remember you can't call a black board a blackboard anymore because of the word black, it has to be called a chalk board.

Therefore how about Matt Really Really Really Dark Blue. Smile
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Hmmm ... and to think I was under the impression that the PC crowd was more rampant here in the U.S. You know, history of black slavery and all. But, where does the fire in their belly come from in countries without this shameful history?

As for clowns vs. magicians, JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO THE MAGIC CORRECTLY! Nothing irks me more than clowns who get their laughs my exposing the secret behind the trick (yeah, I know magicians do it, too, but most of them don't do it on purpose!)
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
You ain't seen the half of it Starrpower, Some local councils have banned Christmas, because the PC brigade feel it may upset the other religions. one city, decorated the town centre for an asian festival, put refused to put up lights etc for christmas. It's all very one sided and Once again all this does is promote racial and religious tension, rather than cure it. Councils let Pubs have opening time extentions on St Paddys day, but not St Georges.

It's very one sided. Luckily Plymouth is too far for the PC brigade to reach so we don't get hit by too much of their rubbish.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Differentiating between Clown and Magician. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL