The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Darwin's Inexpensive Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I already posted about this in another forum, but I thought it might fit better here. Has anyone seen "Darwin's Inexpensive Illusions" video? It says it tells you how to build enough illusions for a full show , most of the props being cheaper than $20. Supposedly you can carry it all around in the back of your car.
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Hi:

I didn´t see that video, but I have read the Darwin´s Inexpensive Ilusions" book. I recommend it to you, it is a great book, and you have all type of ilusion, very cheap and cool. I think that with the book, you won´t need any video. The book works very well.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Enigma3613
View Profile
New user
California
61 Posts

Profile of Enigma3613
I'm also interested in buying the book, but I heard somewhere that this book requires a lot of black art. Can someone be more specific? Does this mean things just have to look deceptively thin, or does this mean that these illusions rely on a full black art setup (i.e. full black stage, magician in white, lights blinding the audience)? Smile
- Robert Doidge
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Black Art is a principle, not a "black only" science.

Darwin is famed for his use of Black Art but even a multicolored backdrop with spangles on it can be used the same way as black velvet.

The lowly Squared Circle, a very magical item, is a Black Art device as is the hidden compartment in any black item like the Metamorpho Spots trick.

If you are thinking of huge black velvet curtains and people dressed head to foot in black, think again.

Gary Darwin does have a book out that deals with Black Art but don't let that put you off. Read it and apply the knowledge you learn to red items, plaid items or striped items.

Best Regards,
Ray
Enigma3613
View Profile
New user
California
61 Posts

Profile of Enigma3613
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that the book didn't require the extensive stage setup some acts can require. By this I was talking about a magic show that relied solely on black screens and creativity. If it's mainly the principles of black art applied, then these illusions could be fine in my show.

Thanks again for the clarification! Smile
- Robert Doidge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Darwin's Inexpensive Illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL