The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » flipper coin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
What is a flipper coin??
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
It is a gaffed coin. Troy Hooser's DesTROYers book has a lot of info on it. Garrett Thomas' new video "Any Questions" is supposed to have flipper coin work as well.
Click to visit:
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Just a side note: If you buy the Johnson flipper, it also comes with a magnetic half with a metal-lined blue-backed bicycle card for around $30. Quality of coins (Kennedy clads) are very good.

Regards,
Tony
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Garrett Thompson's work with the flipper is freaking awesome!!!

I saw his work at the ibm convention this year and just freaking wow!!!

His video looks awesome too!!!

he does his ring thing on the video too....you must check it out.
mikejorden
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of mikejorden
What is the Garrett Thompson Video called?
I can't find it at my dealers.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Garretts video is called "Any Questions"
I saw this yesterday. It is a great video.
His finger ring trick is incredible looking. Although a 'knack' thing. He does do some Flipper Coin work and gives a great tip on how to open it up. I was more impressed with his Cig. Thru Quarter switch. And this killer flourish where a coin rolled down his arm like a basketball!
This video is definately worth buying.

Chad
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Mike, you are probably looking for the wrong name, his last name is Thomas not Thompson. As I said in my first post, his video is "Any Questions".
Click to visit:
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Garrett is a maniac. The coin roll down the arm is something only a madman would attempt, and only a lunatic would perfect, (a lot like Michael Moshen's stuff)and that's not all of it.

The coin purse routine is excellent, and the Ring Thing is a real crowd-gatherer.

But the part that gets me is:

a)he told me he had come up with a way to do my "twist" switch without all the hard work and practice, and then

b)he fooled me with it.

That's the cig thru quarter switch, and that's only the beginning.

He is a very dangerous man and I think his flipper work would be extremely hazardous to your health. Proceed with caution.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:
On 2002-08-29 14:04, Tony wrote:
Just a side note: If you buy the Johnson flipper, it also comes with a magnetic half with a metal-lined blue-backed bicycle card for around $30. Quality of coins (Kennedy clads) are very good.

Regards,
Tony

I've never seen a Johnson product adverstised as the Flipper coin. I'm not sure what a Flipper coin is, but is this what you're talking about? Here's the ad:

"This effect is stunning. Two clear drinking glasses, a playing card and two Half Dollars are shown. The card is placed on the mouth of one glass and the second glass is set on top of the card. Both Halves are dropped into the upper glass and when they hit the card one coin passes through the card and falls into the bottom glass! The coins are dumped on the table and you have a clean finish."
chunk88
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of chunk88
Garrett is awesome. I saw him at the convention also.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2002-08-30 21:08, gilbreath76 wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-08-29 14:04, Tony wrote:

Regards,
Tony

I've never seen a Johnson product adverstised as the Flipper coin. I'm not sure what a Flipper coin is, but is this what you're talking about? Here's the ad:

"This effect is stunning. Two clear drinking glasses, a playing card and two Half Dollars are shown. The card is placed on the mouth of one glass and the second glass is set on top of the card. Both Halves are dropped into the upper glass and when they hit the card one coin passes through the card and falls into the bottom glass! The coins are dumped on the table and you have a clean finish."

Yes part of the gaffs on that trick is the Johnson flipper coin. I don't think Johnson markets it separately; you gotta buy that set.
Click to visit:
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
My friend Wesley James stated it best:

What every coin worker should know about the "Flipper Coin" but never made the effort to ask:

I suspect we have all read and heard a great deal of late about the supposed "Flipper Coin," including on this board. Some go on at length about how well Todd Lassen makes them, others laud the ingeniousness of Troy Hooser's applications. I don't disagree, Todd's work is exceptional and Troy's applications include some clever ideas. I do take exception to the complete lack or acknowledgment of the inventor of the coin, without whom neither Todd nor Troy would likely be garnering praise.

Recently, during a phone conversation, David Roth and I were lamenting this matter. We both recalled that a number of years ago a coin for all intents and purposes identical to what is referred to as a "Flipper Coin" had been sold. We agreed it had been offered under a very different name, however, "The Swadling Coin." We decided to contact Swadling, who is still alive and quite well, to ascertain the history of the idea. I obtained a phone number for Mr. Swadling, whom I had only met on one occasion, and provided it to David who phoned him.

The result of that conversation, as reported to me, make the history rather straight forward and quite short, despite Josh Jay's published statement to the effect that he could not determine the origins. While the core concept can be found in Greater Magic and was later explored by David Roth (beginning on page 52 of his book "Expert Coin Magic"), the current implementation of the idea, as embodied in the "Flipper Coin," dates back less than 35 years. However often one reads statements suggesting its origins are lost in time, Bob Swadling created the concept of the coin, and a fair number of applications for it, in 1970. Soon thereafter, he began demonstrating and selling the coins in his lectures and allowed Ken Brooke to sell them as well. As I recall, the product Swadling sold was quite well made and beautifully packaged. That is the surprisingly short history of the gimmick cavalierly referred to as the "Flipper Coin."

I do not suggest Todd Lassen's craftsmanship is any less exceptional, nor that all the applications of the coin developed by Troy Hooser, Garrett Thomas or any of the others who have recently rediscovered the utility of the Swadling Coin were developed or even considered by Bob Swadling, though many were. What is relevant is that the man who shared the fruits of his creative mind, who provided the groundwork for the applications being rediscovered by today's coin workers and who constructed and sold a fair number of well-made, very useable coins implementing his idea is being ignored by those who are simply too lazy or indifferent to research the history of this seminal tool. As a result, many are reinventing ideas which already have older, better solutions. Through failure to investigate the history, they allow themselves the ego-gratification of falsely claiming their ideas as new but slow the progress of further development. Thus, those of us who are serious about the craft we practice in our magic are harmed by the indolence and self-serving ignorance of those who fail to meet their obligations to the community from which they seek acknowledgment. We can best encourage a change in this attitude by deploring such behavior and scorning those that embrace it.

I've written it before but none of us will get rich by sharing our ideas with the magic fraternity. None of us will achieve true fame or celebrity, however ingenious our ideas. At best we may earn a small remuneration for creating products that contribute our ideas to others. It is an extremely small price to expect that a reasonable effort be made to investigate the history of the ideas that enable us to perform. Toward that end, in the future, it is not much to ask that the idea now enjoying such popularity be referred to by its proper name, the name chosen by its inventor.

Put out the word, the supposed "Flipper Coin" is actually the "Swadling Coin," the invention of England's clever Robert Swadling.
Wesley James
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
I see so many different companies make the same coin gaffs and tricks. Hopping halfs, sotch and sodas, shells, locking coins, etc. I'm curious, do any of these other coins credit any inventor?
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Randy
WOW!! that was very interesting. I think that post and research is incredible. I thank you for taking the time to do that. I have always been curious. Now I know this was a very advantageous post you made. I will thank you for that sinceely.
Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
Bob Swadling still manufactures and sells the 'Swadling Coin' under the title of "Double Deception", absolutely superb outfit!! Smile
Sadly Bob has not yet joined the 'cyber world'. Smile
Wallace B
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
gilbreath, many of the other gaffs are as old as the hills, you can find an early description of a shell coin and a double face coin in Reginald Scot's "Discoverie of Witchcaft" from 1584.

"A NOTABLE TRICKE TO TRANSFORME A COUNTER TO A GROAT.

"A magician must have a full assortment of trick coins and the like, but he must be careful lest he forget which are which and spend the wrong coins."
Click to visit:
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2002-08-31 06:32, Reed McClintock wrote:
I think that post and research is incredible.

Thanks, Reed - - - but "credit" for the "credit" work goes to Wesley James and David Roth.

And, Robert Swadling!
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Mr. Wakeman, thanks for sharing the history of the Swadling coin.

It's not often that I read a post that really opens my eyes to the history of magic.

I'm certain there are many of us who would have credited Mr. Swadling, if only we had known.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
So now we know. I also appreciate the research and scholarship reported by Mr. Wakeman. Not a day goes by that someone doesn't "invent" something "new," when a study of magic literature would have shown that the principle was already thought of somewhere else. I like the authors and "innovators" who give as much credit as possible. All of us stand on the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes, and we need to give proper credit, especially when most of the creators in Magic do not receive monetary compensation in proportion to their contributions.

I come up with what I think are great, original thoughts all the time, only to discover through an online search, or a perusal of my library that I was not the only one with the idea. On one hand it can be very discouraging, and on the other, sort of amazing to realize how many of us get on the same wavelengths of "inspiration."
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Unfortunately, I just printed a book on coin magic containing an effect with the "Flipper." Thankfully, it was a small print run--future runs and editions will have the proper credit inserted.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » flipper coin? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL