The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Golden Gate Magic Co. in SF (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2861 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Does anyone remember this shop? I visited it once or twice as a kid and remember walking up a flight of steps in an old downtown building, up to a second-floor studio that looked and felt like a magic shop. This was back in the 60's.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Carlo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco, California
233 Posts

Profile of Carlo
I remember it very well. My dad used to take me there.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
I went there as a child. My mom took me there first when I was about 12, 1957. When I was in high school I would take the train to the City from Redwwod City. The owner, I forget his name treated me like WC Fields would have treated any kid. He prefered talking to the other adults in the room. " Get away little kid". But, boy, what a fine shop and location. I can remember the smell and see the dim light from the dusty windows and the shade of SF's "high rise" Market St.

Thanks for the memories,

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
The owner's name was Tom Davludson (sp?) and performed, I believe, as Dave Ludson. I bought my first magic books there, Tarbell Vol., and Magic Without Apparatus. Fond memories!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That was Tom Dethlefsen. He had worked for Bob Stull, who had a shop about four blocks away from where the Golden Gate shop was put up. After Bob came back home after WW II, Tom went out and started his own shop. I have a set of miniature cups that came from there. No telling how many he sold. Only three sets have survived.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Semaj
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Semaj
You guys are bringing back great memories. Great downtown location. My mother used to take me to the Golden Gate Shop forty four years ago when I was a 10 year old aspiring magician. We bought a Milk Pitcher (which I still have) and a Buddha Temple Screen.

There was a guy by the name of Les Mucthler (not sure of the spelling) who work the counter. He was real helpful.

I saw a magician (might have been Vic Kirk) do some absolutely unbelievable card magic for an astonished group of magicians.
Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Golden Gate Magic Co. in SF (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL