The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bad news for you Yanks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
Looks like Derren has been locked into UK's Channel 4 for the next couple of years, so barring miracles it looks like he won't be coming to America just yet.

British mentalists can now rejoice as we can continue to piggy back on him for the next two years. Smile

http://www.brandrepublic.com/mediabullet......01112004
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
I'm so glad I'm a Brit.

Gareth.
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6462 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Believe it or not, I'm actually glad it's hard to see his show here. It will prevent less copying of his effects.

One of my clients and friends, Cyril, has done some brilliant shows in Japan, and I always tell him that I'd love for those shows to stay in Japan so that his presentations and effect remain a secret instead of the instant, "Does anyone know how Cyril did that Card on Window?" This is one Yank that is happy to hear that news.

My best wishes to Derren and his new contract.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Don't pop open the bubbly just yet, my Brit friends.

Deals of this sort generally impose exclusivity within the COUNTRY only, not worldwide. I haven't seen the terms of the contract, but chances are good that Derren would be free to appear on US TV. At the very least, Channel 4 could always sell his shows to the US market.

But any sale to the US would probably be for cable only, since American audiences generally don't like performers who have accents -- like the British (!)

Jonathan
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Lee Davies
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
136 Posts

Profile of Lee Davies
Quote:
But any sale to the US would probably be for cable only, since American audiences generally don't like performers who have accents -- like the British(!)

Jonathan

That's nonsense! Hollywood always cast an English accent speaking actor to play the baddie. You see they love us. Smile
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand...
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
Well said, Lee. WE ARE LOVED.

Gareth.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Yeah, Americans hate that UK accent, which is why Jude Law, Hugh Grant, Kate Beckensale, Kiera Knightly, Liam Nesson, Ali G, Sean Connery, Ewan McGregor, Paul Bettany, Ricky Gervais, John Cleese, Cary Grant, Basil Rathbone, Angela Lansbury, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., have done so badly over here.

And don't even get started on those unlovable Aussies!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1170 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Jonathan, I do not know what movies/entertainment you are referring to, but some of the all-time biggest grossing movies are British, French, etc.

Harry Potter and James Bond just to name two from a very long list. And, yes, there is the Arnold guy; he isn't doing too bad. So I believe American audiences generally like good entertainment regardless of the accents.

And trying to stay within the context of the subject it would be nice if the programs could be sold via say DVD. Channel Four should not have a problem with that.

Jerry
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
No, Jon's right. TV tends to stay away from stars who have accents--that's TV, not film.
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
No I disaggree. I am a happy performing Brit.

Gareth
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
"Bad news for you Yanks"

For the record, we're called Americans sometimes, too.

;)

Ian
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
A Brit who happens to live in the UK.
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Whoa!!

When I said Americans don't like "foreign" accents in their performers, I meant TV, not movies. In the US, at least, the TV audience is older, more conservative, and a very different demographic than movie-goers.

I'm a TV producer, and I can't tell you how many times network execs reject potential talent simply for being British or Australian. There are exceptions, of course, but when you compare the large number of British movie actors the US public accepts to the small number of British TV hosts who appear in the US, the facts speak for themselves.

Jonathan
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
507 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
So in TV programmes people with accents aren't liked?

OK, Daphne in Fraiser?

Ross's Wife in Friends?

Tony Blair in Simpsons?

Just three, and I don't watch a lot of TV.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Hi Dangermouse:

Good effort, but please look a little closer and you'll set that none of your examples was the central character of the show. Ross's wife was a minor character who lasted only one season. Tony Blair on the Simpsons -- as far as I know "appeared" on only one episode, also as a very minor character. Daphne probably comes closest to being a central character, but is still supporting cast.

You'll often see accents adding color in supporting cast members, but it's unusual (though not impossible) that the star will have one.

With Derren, you're talking not just the star of the show, but practically the only person who would speak on it. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it's a lot less likely than if he spoke with an American accent.

Jonathan
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
The Professor guy from Buffy the Vampire slayer.

Ranger Marcus Cole from Babylon 5.

Doctor Bashir from Star Trek Deep Space 9.

Robert McCall, The Equalizer.

I could continue...
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2004-11-02 11:57, Jonathan1000 wrote:
Hi Dangermouse:

Good effort, but please look a little closer and you'll set that none of your examples was the central character of the show. Ross's wife was a minor character who lasted only one season. Tony Blair on the Simpsons -- as far as I know "appeared" on only one episode, also as a very minor character. Daphne probably comes closest to being a central character, but is still supporting cast.

You'll often see accents adding color in supporting cast members, but it's unusual (though not impossible) that the star will have one.

With Derron, you're talking not just the star of the show, but practically the only person who would speak on it. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it's a lot less likely than if he spoke with an American accent.

Jonathan

I think Johnathan knows what he is talking about.

When you consider they change history by making war films of "true Stories" but change the heroes from Brits to Yanks!

Maybe they could dub Derren, and without those corny voice overs they wouldn't get it.
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
We're going way off topic here, but I'll respond one last time to "examples" of British stars with leading roles on US TV.

There are currently around 60 series on US network primetime TV. If each has an average of three leads, we're dealing with a total of 180 or so network leading actors at the present time. That figure is probably low.

Given that the British turn out the world's best actors, I'd expect at least -- say -- 20% of the actors, or 36 people, to be British, if there were no bias in network casting.

Darko, you gave four examples, only one of which is arguably valid. [I'm not convinced about that one either: The Professor is a lead of Buffie? I'd bet his salary is less than half hers.] Of your other examples, two are not current series, and the other is not network.

The record is perfectly clear, and it reflects a widespread belief among network execs about what American TV audiences prefer. Network execs freely admit that's how they cast, and it's common knowledge in the TV industry.

Jonathan
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Sean something or other that used to be in Eastenders is the lead in a surprisingly funny US sitcom - "Off Centre" I think its called.

Some of the funniest leads have been Brits - Shrek is Scottish, and wasnt Mrs Doubtfire english? Smile
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"But any sale to the US would probably be for cable only, since American audiences generally don't like performers who have accents -- like the British(!)"

Well...the trend is to *remake* the shows here in the U.S. American Idol and What Not to Wear are examples of Brit shows that were remade as part of the export. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is an example of a U.S. show redone in the U.K.

It isn't just the key character. It seems we all want to see these things done on our own soil with people who could be our neighbor.

So...Darren could remake the shows here in the U.S. or team up with a U.S. performer to perform his effects for a U.S. audience. Any takers?

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bad news for you Yanks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL